The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old November 24, 2006, 10:43 AM   #1
Narcoleptic Warrior

Multipurpose Pest Control Loading?

If you're going on a jungle trekking expedition and you are likely to encounter large scorpions, poisonous centipedes, bigger than average spiders, poisonous snakes up to 4' long and maybe the odd 7' long python, what
shot sizes and payload weights would you recommend to include in a 31 shotshell 12ga ammo package?

Would 16 2 3/4" shells loaded with 1 1/8oz of #7.5 birdshot along with 15 2 3/4" shells loaded with 1 1/8oz of BB shot suffice?
Old November 25, 2006, 03:04 AM   #2
Death from Afar

Sounds like a heck of a trip! I would stick to #5 which is a very versitile game load, and a handfull of buckshot and slugs. Tell us more about this trip! What jungle?
Old November 25, 2006, 10:14 AM   #3
Narcoleptic Warrior

Death from Afar,

I plan to go treking through Malaysian jungle. Some of my mates have gone before me and they remark that the smell of dinner cooking at base camp really attracts insectoid vermin as well as rodents. Since, magnum strength bug spray and machetes can only do so much, they reports that 2 or 3 shots of light trap #9 shot really kills many pests.

Also, a python made it into someones tent and was later dispatched with machetes and 1 shotshell worth of #9.
Old November 25, 2006, 11:03 PM   #4
Death from Afar

NW- I have been in that jungle a few times, and it is pretty hard bush. Dont forget:

Nomex gloves- your hand will thank you for it if you have to slash, and it stops you putting your hands on ants!
Vaseline - good to smear on ones , umm, dangly bits as they get very sore and raw.
The best bug reppelent you can buy, and buy several brands as some works better than others on different bugs.
Camelbak- and some of that baby bottle sterlising stuff
Get a Parang at the market- better than machetes.
SILK SLEEPING BAG LINER! Oh yes, nothing better.
Make sure you are clear on the local laws regarding guns, they can be a bit funny in that part of the world.

I would really look at a decent side by side gun. If one barrel dies, you still have a working shooter. Enjoy your trip!