The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old September 15, 2012, 07:31 PM   #1
603Country

I need something less noisy

When I moved to the country, I decided to buy a rifle that wasn't quite as loud as my 220 Swift or 260 Rem. It was tough making a choice, but I finally decided on a 223. Why not, since everybody has one. But...although it's a great cartridge, it sure isn't quiet. Today there was a big coon busting my wife's favorite cat's butt. I shot the coon, without wearing hearing protection, and couldn't hear anything for 10 minutes. I was under the carport when I made the shot. It was maybe 1200 yards, in a high wind....no... honestly it was 30 yards in no wind, but I was under the carport, which held the sound in. Man, that really hurt my ears. So what do I need that's good for 100 or 150 yards, is fairly flat shooting, and will take down a coyote, coon, or similar small critter? And it needs to be relatively quiet (compared to a 223). Whaddaya think? 17 Ackley Bee maybe? I'm a reloader.
Old September 15, 2012, 07:47 PM   #2
Hawg

Nothing is going to be quiet enough in a carport to fire without protection, not even a .22LR.
Old September 15, 2012, 07:57 PM   #3
Nathan

ear muffs? or a supressor. All guns are loud.
Old September 15, 2012, 07:57 PM   #4
Scorch

There is a reason that most ranch houses have a 22LR bolt action rifle sitting by the door. 22LR is about as quiet as you are going to get. I have shot them without hearing protection many, many times. Good to 100-150 yds, quiet, and will kill critters with a solid hit. Or move up to a 22 Hornet, they are quieter than a 223, but they are not really quiet.

That said, I gotta agree with Hawg; what in the world possessed you to fire from under the carport?
Old September 15, 2012, 08:12 PM   #5
JohnKSa
Staff

Quote:
It was maybe 1200 yards, in a high wind...
All of my shots at coyotes are at that distance and under those conditions, but I only shoot with pistols--standing, unsupported, one-handed. To make it fair, I won't shoot unless the coyote is running.
Quote:
...honestly it was 30 yards in no wind...
You must be new to shooting...

Long barrel .22 Hornet, maybe? It's still going to be loud. Why not leave a set of muffs with the rifle so you can "suit up" before heading out to do your long-range shooting?

If you really can't manage the muffs, you might look into getting a suppressor. A suppressed .22 Hornet would probably be pretty quiet.
Old September 15, 2012, 08:22 PM   #6
603Country

Gimme a break, I had no idea that shooting from under the carport would be that bad an idea. Now I know how truly bad an idea that was. I was in such a hurry that I left the hearing protection behind. Yep, bad idea followed by bad idea. So I've learned my lesson. The 22 was in the safe, and all I had was the 223 and action needed to be taken. You guys are going to tell me to just use the 22 that I have and be happy? Aren't you supposed to tell me that I need the new 14 Ackley Super Tiny Godzilla. Well maybe the 17 Ackley Bee. Ok, I'll take the 22 out of the safe. But how loud is the 22 Hornet or the 218 Bee or one of the 17's?
Old September 15, 2012, 08:54 PM   #7
shortwave

Man I wish suppressors were legal in Ohio without a permit. Would love to be able to have one for the varmints around here.

603Country,
try some of the more quite type 22's. Maybe Remington Subsonics.

Last edited by shortwave; September 15, 2012 at 09:01 PM.
Old September 15, 2012, 09:01 PM   #8
TheSILENTtype

well, you could always go up to a .50 and shoot it often without hearing protection in calm enviroments..like a car port. Enough of that and you will surely bearly even hear your .223 next time.

but seriously, i find any .22lr to have a tone to it, even inside that sings out and goes away just as fast. little to no hazy hearing after.

all things considered just stick some .25 cent earplugs in your ears anytime you discharge anything.....well....firearms..
Old September 15, 2012, 09:03 PM   #9
Discern

You mentioned you now live in the country. It is easy to keep a pair of reusable ear plugs with you at all times - you just have to make it a habit. I prefer the 3M for reusable ear plugs. The 3M comes in a small round case that can easily fit into your pants pocket. The 3M fit MY ears well. Winchester does not fit my ears well, so there is not a lot of NR.
Old September 15, 2012, 10:09 PM   #10
603Country

Yeah, yeah, I know. I keep 3 rounds of 223 on a shelf in the study. Next to them are some foam earplugs and next to the rifle are some good soundreducing earmuffs. The wife was saying "hurry, hurry", so I just left that stuff behind. All my fault. I just had no idea how the noise would bounce down off the carport ceiling. Ouch! That was REALLY bad. Now I've hung the earmuffs off the rifle itself. Can't pick up the rifle without the hearing protection.

I think I'm going to not take ISTSFODD's advice about shooting the 50 so that I will no longer hear the 223. I'm actually quite sure that'll work, but also sure that it isn't the best idea I've heard today.

Anyway, I went to the safe and got my Marlin 39A.
Old September 16, 2012, 12:12 AM   #11
Sport45

How long is the barrel on the .223? The short ones are very loud.

Have you considered a suppressor? You're in Texas, man! The home of the free. I'd get one to play with but keep spending the extra money on something else...
Old September 16, 2012, 06:19 AM   #12
Kreyzhorse

In a carport, all guns are too loud. You easiest choice is some hearing protection although for close shots, a pellet rifle might dispatch your critters and not be too rough on your ears.
Old September 16, 2012, 07:29 AM   #13
Hansam

.22lr bolt or break action rifle shooting subsonic rounds or even better yet (especially at 30yds) shooting CCI .22lr Quiet rounds.

The .22lr Quiets generate around 68db of sound - even in a carport its not going to be loud enough to make your ears ring although it'll still be pretty loud under a carport.

Otherwise keep hearing protection near your rifle. A pair of muffs doesn't take long to put on and are a good investment.
Old September 16, 2012, 08:05 AM   #14
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

17hmr would be you best bet but it's still loud enough to require protection and marginal for coyotes at 150 yards.
The gun you have is better. Keep a set of muffs near the gun or ammo. If the critter is gone because you stopped to wear ear protection, is killing it really that important?
Old September 16, 2012, 09:01 AM   #15
603Country

Brian, this critter has been coming around every other day, like he lives here, and I guess he did live here or at least close to here. Yesterday was just the first time I had a chance to get a shot. That's why I was in such a hurry. Anyway, the soundmuffs are now hooked on the end of the rifle barrel. To get the rifle, you have to take hold of the hearing protection.

It had gotten to the point that my little warrior cat, the toughest cat we have, wouldn't even go outside anymore.
Old September 16, 2012, 09:15 AM   #16
ohen cepel

.22LR with the new CCI Quiet load.

http://www.cci-ammunition.com/whatsnew/newproducts.aspx

Or, one of the new Nitro Piston air rifles in .22 or .25. Some have built in suppressors which make them very quiet. You could even get into .357, 44 or .50 in an air rifle if you want to get the pre-charged versions.

NRA Life Benefactor Member

Last edited by ohen cepel; September 16, 2012 at 09:21 AM.
Old September 16, 2012, 09:31 AM   #17
BillM

Is the barrel of your 223 threaded? Might try this:

http://store.troyind.com/Claymore_Mu...lm-05bt-00.htm

Another possibility, since you reload, is loading sub-sonic. Hmmmm--
looks like a reason to buy a new upper for a AR!! 300 AAC Blackout.
Old September 16, 2012, 11:04 AM   #18
buck460XVR

Quote:
Nothing is going to be quiet enough in a carport to fire without protection, not even a .22LR.
yep.....pretty much. My son made the mistake one year of having the barrel of his ought-six within the confines of our enclosed elevated deer stand one year when he took a buck. For years we had shot from there with the gun barrels outside the shooting window and it was no different than shooting without protection at deer in the open. We now make sure the barrels are outside.......
Old September 16, 2012, 11:31 AM   #19
tahunua001

your best bet is going to be to get a tax stamp and make a suppressor yourself, it'll run you around 220 dollars and you can pick everything up at your local ace hardware/lowes/home repo/well hardware store in general.
Old September 16, 2012, 11:49 AM   #20
dahermit

I have a Browning Model 1885 in .22 Hornet that I routinely shoot out of my gun room window at 'coons, ground hogs, etc. It is deadly on everything that I have shot with it, the noise is about as quiet as you can get for a center-fire. My ears do not ring at all, but then the barrel is out the window.
Old September 16, 2012, 04:38 PM   #21
BIGR

Like the others said, it has to be a .22 LR or make sure you wear hearing protection.
Old September 16, 2012, 04:48 PM   #22
jimbob86

To think of the bricks upon bricks of .22lr that my brothers and I shot up in our youth, out of semi-autos no less .... to hear folks today tell it, we oughta be stone deaf.......
Old September 16, 2012, 06:50 PM   #23
jakemonroe

has anyone had any experience on what the 60 grain 22lr does to game. i know its pretty quite
Old September 16, 2012, 06:52 PM   #24
FrankenMauser

My order of considerations would be:
.22 WMR --> Suppressor --> .22 Hornet --> Claymores

If you want a little more zip than .22 LR, but don't want to step up to .22 Hornet/.17 Hornet, my vote is for .22 WMR in a rifle.
Sure, there's twice as much bullet drop as .17 HMR, at 200 yards. But, there's also twice as much mass in the bullet, and you really don't intend to shoot beyond 150 yards. And... you can get cheap loads for .22 WMR that are less than half the price of .17 HMR ammo. CCI's .22 WMR and .17 HMR ammo is good stuff, but I've found ArmsCor and old-stock Fiocchi .22 WMR to be just as good (same stuff).
(Fiocchi .22 WMR is now being made by CCI. So, that brings CCI's WMR/HMR/HM2 production to: CCI, Federal, Speer, Hornady, Remington, Fiocchi, and more...)

Of course... a suppressor would negate the need for another rifle.
Old September 16, 2012, 07:00 PM   #25
wild willy

Just keep your muffs handy.I keep a pair hanging on a hook by the door.Earplugs are too slow