The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old February 8, 2000, 03:47 PM   #1
ddt4free

Can a wichester 1200 reciever be fitted with a 3 inch chambered barrel? What would happen if a 3 inch shell was fired from a 2 3/4 chamber? Not something I really want to test.
the reason I ask is:
My significant other has just bought a used Winchester pump 12 gauge full choke w/ 2 3/4 inch chamber w/ wood stocks. My full length 870 with plastic stocks is just way to cumbersome for her. She enjoys the light weight of the gun even when fully loaded. I just worry that she will inadvertantly put a 3 inch shell in the 2 3/4 barrel that she has. I have checked the gun and every brand of 3 inch shell I tested cycles through just fine...."without firing of course". thanks in advance. Peas!
Old February 8, 2000, 05:18 PM   #2
Shok

ddt4free,

DO NOT SHOOT A 3" SHELL IN A BARREL DESIGNED TO ONLY ACCEPT 2 3/4" SHELLS!

This is very dangerous. The 2 3/4" chamber will accept a 3" shell but it won't have room for the crimp to open up fully. This will cause excessive pressure and will, in the worst case scenario, kill you.

Shoot safe have fun.

Shok
Old February 9, 2000, 10:46 AM   #3
cjb

I witnessed this EXACT problem once a few years ago.A bunch of my friends invited me to thier farm for a cook-out and some hand trap.I belive there were six or seven of us shooting.We had all brought our own ammo.After about an hour,my friend using a 1200 win. started packing up.He told us he was out of ammo.One idiot threw him a round.He chambered it, and when he shot it sounded like all hell broke loose.Turns out the jerk thought it would be funny to watch his reaction by slipping him a three inch mag.The shooter was madder than hell! A fight almost broke out.Needless to say,GAME OVER! I talked to the shooter on the way to my truck.He said he never thought to look.The shell slipped right in but I had to take the barrel off to get out the empty.
Listen to SHOK;
NEVER SHOOT ANY ROUND UNLESS YOU ARE SURE IT IS THE RIGHT TYPE FOR YOUR WEAPON!AND NEVER TRUST A FRIEND TO MAKE THAT DESISION FOR YOU!
IT COULD COST YOU YOUR LIFE!! ( there was a little luck involed in this story)
CALVIN
" IM THE NRA! "
Old February 9, 2000, 07:25 PM   #4
ddt4free

Thanks, fellas! I/we never intended to try the 3 inch in the 2 3/4 chamber. It's just that I don't know anyone to have any direct knowledge of what would happen if someone actually did it.

We either have to get her a 3 inch chambered shotgun or teach her to be able to tell the difference under the pressure of adrenalin.

Thanks to the input you have given me I have found the answer to the original question of whether or not the reciever on a 1200 could accept a 3 inch chambered barrel.

I believe the answer is NO for the following reasons. The ejection port on the reciever of the 1200 we have is not large enough to eject a 3" fired case(crimp expanded). I compared the port on the 1200 to the ejection ports of a Mossberg 500A 3" and a Remington 870 3" and they(870/500a) were at least 1/4 to 1/2 inch longer. Note: the winchester web site was of no help.

Still seems like a fine shotgun but I think we will use this one as a trade in. Thanks

------------------
Just another peace and love hippie that loves guns. "Just figure me as one you would never figure" -Neil Young from powderfinger

[This message has been edited by ddt4free (edited February 09, 2000).]