The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old April 7, 2014, 04:36 AM   #1
Willie Lowman

Good resource page for a game writer?

A friend of mine is a game writer, he has asked me for web sites where he can get some basic facts about various guns and equipment that a professional monster hunter might use. Things weight, length, capacity, muzzle energy, info about the design...

This is for a game. Doesn't have to be super detailed. Preferably factual.

I recommended worldguns . ru because that was a favorite of mine from years past.

What other are there?
Old April 7, 2014, 01:09 PM   #2
Jay24bal

If the guns he needs to reference are somewhat common, wikipedia is a great source of info. They generally have all the "demographics" on the gun to include, length, width, weight, capacity, muzzle energy, etc.

If they are current production guns, the manufacturer's website should help as well.

Once Fired Brass, Top quality, Fast shipping, Best prices.
http://300AacBrass.com/ -10% Coupon use code " Jay24bal "
Old April 7, 2014, 01:16 PM   #3
Sevens

I can't think of a better place than these forums. For his best results, he should open a thread, explain precisely what his motivation is, and offer some clues to his own level of understanding right from the start.

If he has any experience in dealing with separating wheat from chaff in internet forums, he'll not only get EXACTLY what he seeks, he may enjoy the experience of the research and he'll come away with a better understanding of the kind of people that would be likely to pick apart the detail in his work. I would think (or hope) that in the end, he ends up with a better finished product.

We've had authors and novelists come here before in the same manner, and there's no telling how many other authors have done research on this site without ever registering or posting themselves.
Old April 8, 2014, 02:03 PM   #4
DaleA

The internet cannot be beat for up-to-the-minute information and ferreting out obscure facts but I think your gamer guy could benefit from something like:

Shooters Bible

http://www.amazon.com/Shooters-Bible...shooters+bible

Where he can EASILY and Quickly get an overview of a *LOT* of different firearms and then go to the internet if he wants additional information about a particular gun. For his use, I think a real bound book would be easier to use initially than the interwebs.
Old April 8, 2014, 02:14 PM   #5
Spats McGee
Staff

Here are a couple:
http://www.genitron.com/
http://stevespages.com/page7b.htm
Old April 9, 2014, 01:17 PM   #6
44 AMP
Staff

Is there a difference between a professional monster and an amateur one? Other than getting paid?
Old April 9, 2014, 04:01 PM   #7
g.willikers

A way to safely include the descriptions of guns in a fictional yarn is not get too technical or specific.
Too many authors show their imaginary expertise by over describing the details of the guns.
And they can't help but get things wrong.
Better to stick to general terms.
It doesn't detract from the story and avoids the pitfall of losing some of their audience - you know, guys like us.
When an author can't be bothered to get the cars and guns stuff right, the rest of the story is probably unreal, too.
Old April 9, 2014, 10:06 PM   #8
44 AMP
Staff

one paperback I read a long time ago, so long I no longer recall the name of the book, or the author, but the thing that did stick with me was the fact that when it came to gun terms, it seemed like the author simply put them all in a hat, and when he needed one, pulled one out at random.

NOTHING turns off a gun guy like a writer who neither knows what he is talking about, nor makes any effort to get it right.

Pythons do not shoot 240gr hollowpoints (they aren't .44 caliber)
M16s do not shoot "7.62 tumblers".

Things like that simply show the ignorance, and laziness of the writer. And, of course, by extension, if they don't get those small details correct, how do we have any faith in the larger things?

The stats on all the common guns are out there. So are the ones on many of the uncommon ones. If you want to impress us go ahead. But be sure to get them ALL correct. Doing otherwise is more than just counterproductive.
Old April 9, 2014, 10:37 PM   #9
ballardw

A company named Paranoid Press actually published such books for generic games. They're out of business but might find some on e-bay. However they've been out of business for a while and likely missing some of the newer gee whiz cartridges like .338 Lapua or Federal, .416 Barret and a whole slew of 'tactical' rifles, carbines and accessories.

I'm sure there are other Role Playing Game references out there as well but not my genre. Look for something with D20 or GURPS in the titles or descriptions.
Old April 11, 2014, 03:59 PM   #10
Willie Lowman

Spats, thank you! He told me that the pages you linked were what he was looking for. I bookmarked the stevespages for my own reading later on.

.44 AMP, a professional monster is like a regular monster but it has all the certifications necessary to preform the work of it's monstrous trade. I think those certifications have to be renewed every blood moon.

Ballard, thanks for the tip but my buddy is writing his own source book, not looking to plagiarize the works of someone else.
Old April 11, 2014, 04:03 PM   #11
Spats McGee
Staff

As an old-school gamer from "back in the day," I can tell you that I also got a lot of use out of books like this one.