The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old March 17, 2012, 06:03 PM   #26
Slamfire

Quote:
So, it must be me. I must be a very careless reloader who must be priming with spent primers and then dumping the powder out of some of the cases after hand weighing each one and inspecting each case with a light prior to seating the bullets. I must also be ignoring the obviously visible spent primers in loaded rounds when I put them into the ammo cases with the primers facing up. I must also be unaware when I pull them out two at a time and load them in my revolvers...
What you found is that big corporations act exactly like human psychopaths. Some of the characteristics are a lack of guilt, lack of shame, and lack of responsibility. Psychopaths always shift the blame to someone else.
Old March 17, 2012, 07:00 PM   #27
m&p45acp10+1

Do not feel too bad. I had a CCI 400 blow out on me today. In fact none of the primer was left. Lucky it did not heavily damage my rifle. A little soot on the bolt face, and loose extractor. I did have to change the part that holds my extractor in because I lost the original somewhere in the grass where I was shooting. It fell out of my butter fingers when I was trying to get it back in. Luckily the range manager had a few spare parts with him in his range bag.

All of the other rounds fired just fine. I have not a slight clue as to why it blew out. The brass was on its confirmed 3rd firing, the charge was weighed, and confirmed on 3 scales. COL of each round was within normal limits. I am still scratching my head.

I will post a pic of the brass and the extractor here in a bit. I finished the work for the day, and am cooling off with an ice cold Ice House. Prosit.
Old March 18, 2012, 03:50 PM   #28
Unclenick
Staff

StraightShot,

Did they tell you to stop spitting into the case for luck before seating the bullet? Their customer service sounds like a lot of software customer service I've dealt with, always assuming an idiot customer because, unfortunately, that's often the problem, and they seem surprised when it isn't.

So, the primers fired but didn't ignite the powder which isn't their fault. Yeah, that's helpful. It does make me think you might weigh the primers before loading them to see if any are obviously light or heavy (lack of compound or addition of contaminate). I would also look carefully for signs of contamination on the anvil side (discoloration and whatnot).
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle
Old March 19, 2012, 12:42 AM   #29
medalguy

Did they tell you to stop spitting into the case for luck before seating the bullet?

Now that's funny!!
Old March 19, 2012, 02:34 AM   #30
primerman

Win primers seem to go off quit easily in my press/hand loader. "I've only had 6 or 7 go off" but the win's are the only ones that have. "Mostly my fault, ok it's all my fault" . "You know if it don't fit don't force it" I've had a few Rems that would not fire and a couple of the Wins but I must point out that all I load are small pistol primers. I have no plans to buy any more Rems or Wins but only because I am able "So far" to buy the cci primers cheaper. Actually I don't support Rem anymore but that is for personal reasons.