The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old April 9, 2011, 12:10 PM   #1
ZVP

Light .38Spl Derringer loads?

I have a pretty little .38 Cobra that I want to use for sidematches.
What short, lower velocity, .38 cartriges match-up with the chambers?
Can I shoot a .38 Colt or .is there a .38 long Colt? Would these match up with my .38 Special barrels?
I am not worried about leaving a carbon ring from shooting shorter ammo in the chambers, I just wanted to see if there was a more period correct ammo I could shoot.
A buddy made me some plinking loads for pratice with the Derringer. He used a 90 gr RNFP bullet with a low powder charge (I don't know the amount), anyway these are very low recoil and low velocity "Squib Loads" which act much like a RF CB Cap from a .22 Derringer.

Please note:
This is too funny!
I just bought some Winchester "Cowboy" Loads thinking that they might be a low velocity round BUT in reserching the load, I found that the load is rated with a 158 gr RNFP bullet @800fps and 250FP Muzzle Energy. One of the higest energy .38 Spl loads Winchester sells!!! So much for light loads...
I guess I will have to rely on my buddies "Squib Loads" in order to have "Plinkers" for the .38 Spl Derringer.
ZVP