The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > Law and Civil Rights

Closed Thread

Old September 20, 2009, 12:48 PM   #1
Hydnawab

Purchase of frame

Hi

Is it possible to purchase a frame without an FFL? I am based outside the US and wanted to get a new Glock 19 frame. I am visiting the US in October with my G19 and wanted to get the frame changed. I have an export permit from my country and my firearm will be registered at the US Customs since its an official visit.

Cheers
Old September 20, 2009, 12:54 PM   #2
oldcspsarge

NO there is no legal way for you to purchase a firearm while visiting....

and GLOCK does NOT sell frames for replacement parts.

There is little to NO chance of wearing out a Glock 19 frame if thet is your concern.

Have a nice visit !
Old September 20, 2009, 10:56 PM   #3
44 AMP
Staff

Under US law

The frame (the serial # part) is the firearm for legal purposes. Under US law, if you buy another frame, you are buying another gun.

US gun makers can replace a frame (if beyond repair) and renumber it to match the replaced one, but this is uncommon, and can only be done by the original maker, as far as I know.
Old September 21, 2009, 08:44 AM   #4
carguychris

Quote:
I am based outside the US and wanted to get a new Glock 19 frame. I am visiting the US in October with my G19 and wanted to get the frame changed.
{emphasis mine}

I can't seem to find the pertinent section of federal law at the moment, but I am positive that an immigrant visa is normally required for a non-citizen to purchase a firearm from a regular US dealer.

As 44 AMP correctly states, the frame of a semi-automatic pistol (it's different for other types of firearm) is the regulated portion of the firearm- it's considered the "gun" under US law. Most other parts are not regulated and can be freely bought, sold, and replaced without a FFL. (This is different than the laws of some other countries; AFAIK some European countries regulate the barrel, although I could be mistaken.)

I'm sure that the BATF can issue some sort of permit or license allowing non-citizens to purchase firearms from US gunmakers for export, but that would be considered an FFL, and if you already had one, you probably wouldn't be asking this question.

More info here:

www.atf.gov
Old September 21, 2009, 10:07 AM   #5
Mike Irwin
Staff

What you are attempting to do is export a firearm.

That requires tons and tons of paperwork.

You simply cannot purchase a new frame, stick it in your luggage, and take it home.

As others have said, the frame is the serial numbered part, and is therefore legally the gun.

Why are you attempting to purchase a new frame? Why don't you go through the Glock distributor or representative in your nation?

Also, attempting to involve your cousin in this transaction exposes him to serious legal liability.

Do NOT do it.

I am closing this thread.

If you have any questions, please send me a private message, but please do NOT attempt to do what you are trying to do.

Thank you.

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.
Closed Thread