The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Harley Nolden Memorial Institute for Firearms Research

Old October 26, 2002, 04:16 PM   #1
Sisco

Colt Officers Model

A friend is selling this gun as part of an estate and asked me what it was worth. I got no idea so I told her I'd ask the experts!
It's a Colt Officers Model Match, .38 special. 6" (?) barrel, looks to be 90%+.
Old October 26, 2002, 06:47 PM   #2
Old Fuff

The Officers Model Match was an exceptionally fine revolver, intended for bullseye match shooting. The later Python was largely based on it. It was made from 1952 through 1969 or thereabouts. Until 1955 when the Python was introduced it was Colt's top-of-the-line revolver at a time when they could afford to be lavish with skilled hand labor. They're are no economy shotcuts in this gun, it's first-class all the way. I would expect someone who knew what it was might go up to around $300.00 or so, but you might not get this at a local gunshop. Nowdays everyone wants an automatic or a Magnum. You might consider putting it up for auction on a site like http://www.armsbid.com Right now listings are free.
Old October 27, 2002, 09:32 AM   #3
johnwill

Listings may be free at that site, but AA or GB has enough traffic to actually sell the gun.
Old October 28, 2002, 01:17 PM   #4
Johnny Guest
Moderator in Memoriam

SK--Sounds like an interesting piece.

Might be nice to know exact vintage. If you can get another look, write down the serial number. Post here--with Xs for the last couple of digits-- and someone will given you the best information available as to year of manufacture. There is some variation in the lists, but usually by not more than a year either way.

Best,
Johnny
Old October 30, 2002, 08:57 PM   #5
ACP230

I saw one of these in a gun store Monday while I was on a trip. They were asking $350 for one that might have been a bit under 90%. I didn't feel that was out of line since the last one I saw was in the same neighborhood.

Colt made two versions of this revolver. One was single action only. Target shooters cocked the gun for each shot anyway so double action wasn't needed. More double actions were made, so I think the single action models might fetch a bit higher price.