The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old September 18, 2008, 06:39 AM   #1
VaFisher

Hornady 366 users

Now that I have ordered a 366 press I have a question for users that are in the know.
The press I ordered is new in the box but will not come as a auto press.
My question, is it a good idea to purchase the conversion for this press or is it better just to use the way it is, I have mixed thought's myself.
Old September 18, 2008, 11:45 PM   #2
wxl

Have (had?) same thoughts but been running mine about 12 years. Maybe I do not need it...
Old September 19, 2008, 12:02 AM   #3
snuffy

Quote:
The press I ordered is new in the box but will not come as a auto press.
My question, is it a good idea to purchase the conversion for this press or is it better just to use the way it is, I have mixed thought's myself.
Huh? If it's a 366, it's a progressive press. I'm not aware of it ever being a manual advance press. It CAN be made to operate as a manual advance press, by simply swinging the advance pawl out of engagement with the shell plate. If yours is missing that part, by all means get it.

I've had mine for15 years. It produces piles of very good shotgun ammo in a short time. BUT be advised, you have to load all the same type of empties once it's set up for that empty. In other words, you can't mix brands or styles of shotgun hulls. A few simple adjustment for a different base wad, maybe a tweak of the crimp station is all that's needed. I think that's the way the mec progressives are anyway.

They're going to get their butts kicked over there this election. How come people can't spell and use words correctly?
Old September 19, 2008, 02:02 PM   #4
VaFisher

Quote:
Huh? If it's a 366, it's a progressive press.
Thanks snuffy, I thought the same but from what I understand it is progressive but not auto, in fact look's like I am getting two of them one 28ga and one 20ga. Both new in the box never used, both come with a 12ga conversion, progressive but not auto or that's what I have been told anyway. He also said these could be upgraded to make the auto.
Old September 19, 2008, 02:34 PM   #5
snuffy

Umm, still confused! What do you mean, "auto?" If you mean hydraulically/air driven, then I suppose it could be fitted with some sort of powered drive. If you mean it delivers one shell completed with each pull of the handle, then that's a progressive press.

They're going to get their butts kicked over there this election. How come people can't spell and use words correctly?
Old September 19, 2008, 02:41 PM   #6
Don H

I think "auto indexing" is the operative term in this discussion. The Dillon 550 and 650 are both progressive presses but only the 650 is auto indexing.
Old September 19, 2008, 04:16 PM   #7
VaFisher

Quote:
"auto indexing"
That's what I was trying to say I think, sounds like the presses I am getting are not "auto indexing" but are progressive.

I think I found the answer to what I was looking foron a different site here's what I found.

Quote:
Subject: which reloader?
Email:
Date: Tue, Jul 22, 2008 - 12:07 AM ET
Website Address:

I use a Hornady 366. It's freeken bullet proof and in the very rare event that a part is needed, Hornady takes care of you ... no questions asked. I have two, a newer model in 12 GA and a much older first generation model in 20 GA. The big difference between the two is that the newer machine auto ejects out the back and has a swing out wad guide. The older machine returns the finished shell to position one and does not have a swing out guide.

I added two key upgrades to mine, the primer cut off and the universal auto adjusting primer seater. I would not have any other machine, period. It's better than the Dillon, only slightly less slick that the Spolar at a fraction of the cost and it is equal to any PW machine that does not have the hydraulic advance. That's my opinion anyway based on my experimenting and dinking around. Take it for what it cost you.

Last edited by VaFisher; September 19, 2008 at 04:46 PM.
Old September 19, 2008, 06:17 PM   #8
snuffy

They would not sell a new 366 without auto indexing, it's what makes a machine truly progressive. There's 3 separate parts that constitute the auto indexing system. The post on the bottom is part of the base casting. The other parts COULD be left off to save a few dollars off the total cost of the machine.

But look at the Hornady website, they do NOT list a manual indexing press. They DO list a gas assisted press.

https://www.hornady.com/shop/?ps_ses...b489eb60dd8509

https://www.hornady.com/shop/?ps_ses...4db42c3e5404aa

But the gas assist is only for the shell plate indexing, you still provide the power to operate the press handle.

Old September 20, 2008, 04:55 AM   #9
VaFisher

snuffy, Thanks again for your wisdom on my question. I think I was confused because of something that was said before and the presses I am getting are new never used but older and I from what was said I didn't think they were auto indexing but understand after reading,
Quote:
The big difference between the two is that the newer machine auto ejects out the back and has a swing out wad guide. The older machine returns the finished shell to position one and does not have a swing out guide.
Old September 20, 2008, 10:20 AM   #10
snuffy

No problemo. A bit of history. Hornady bought out the Pacific tool company. They made a line of loaders, dies, presses and other stuff. The 366 is actually a pacific loader with the Hornady name on it. Some of the parts on my loader actually still have the pacific name on them.

I bought mine in '92, it has the swing out wad guide and auto ejects out the back as well. So if the ones you're getting are older than that, then you may not have auto indexing.

The guy you linked to one that other site gave me a couple of ideas. I didn't know about a spring loaded primer station. That might eliminate the adjustment needed every time you switch from AA to STS shells or some other different base wad height. I made my own primer cut-off by drilling a hole through the primer tube to put a clip in the stop it feeding primers. I also see on the Hornady site that they now have a plug that can be used to empty the shot/powder tubes without taking the whole assembly off the machine. That can get dicey IF the shot tube is more that half full, I'm still finding shot on the floor!

Old September 20, 2008, 01:27 PM   #11
VaFisher

Glad the link was of some help to you snuffy I know it help me get the answer I was looking for. I beleive these are newer the then when you purchased yours but not sure being he didn't say but I am happy to be getting them one way or the other, been using the mec single stage, they work great just takes more time and rather be shooting.