The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old August 10, 2012, 07:23 AM   #1
Pezo

m1 carbine extraction and ejection issue

Hello all and thanks in advance. I have a original refurb usgi carbine (inland barrel and reciever with a rock ola fire control) that I just recently took out of storage that it had been in for 15 years. The first time I fired it with a 15 round magazine it ate thru every round. The last 2 times I took it to the range ive been experiencing failures to eject and extract spent casings. I have 2 usgi mags, 1 korean mag and one after market 30 rounder. I have used both federal 110 grain ball and remington 110 grain ball.

The 1st most common issue is a "almost" stove pipe. After the shot the spent casing gets lodged HORIZONTALLY between the bolt face and the top of the reciever. The 2nd most common issue is a failure to extract the spent casing from the reciever. The bolt goes back far enought to want to extract the next fresh round from the magazine but cant obviously because the last spent casing is still sitting in the chamber. I tilt the barrel up and with my finger nail very easily slide casing out. Also, both the federal and remington brand brass spent casing look real dirty like "soot" and the gun just looks gummed up after firing. The most Ive fired in either of these 2 sessions is 75 rounds. I had this carbine (same one before storage) when I was a kid and remember it as uber reliable. What do you think? thank you Edited to mention that this gun has been cleaned after storage and after each shooting session. Not stripped down to every small part but barrel swabbed, brushed, wiped down and oiled. I even used a tooth pick to clean the gaps around the extractor and ejector plunger. both the compontents seem to have "firm" spring tension.
Old August 10, 2012, 08:25 AM   #2
velocette

Pezo;
go here: http://forums.thecmp.org/forumdisplay.php?f=6

for any & all questions on M1 carbines. a lot of VERY knowledgeable folks there.

Roger
Old August 10, 2012, 12:28 PM   #3
James K
Member In Memoriam

Remove the bolt and soak it in a good solvent, then put a couple of drops of light oil behind the extractor and down beside the ejector.

I don't suggest disassembling the bolt unless you have the reassembly tool and know what you are doing.

Then remove the barrelled action from the receiver and take off the slide. With the barrel pointing down, use a penetrant (I like G96 Gun Treatment) around the gas piston. Again let things soak a bit, then reassemble. Don't oil the piston.

Jim
Old August 10, 2012, 12:43 PM   #4
Pezo

Thank you james k ( and for the lead vellocette ) I thought some sort of soaking of the bolt would be a good idea. I am not a gunsmithat all so taking the bolt apart or the gas system is not going to happen. If one "oils the piston I would guess that would crud up the gas chamber? Its bizzare how this gun went from night and day reliability between 3 shooting sessions. And the cakey soot accumulation has me baffled.
Old August 10, 2012, 09:14 PM   #5
James K
Member In Memoriam

It probably had old oil or grease inside the bolt and that dried and hardened over the years. That is a pretty common thing and easily dealt with if folks don't panic and start taking apart everything in sight.

Jim
Old August 11, 2012, 03:09 AM   #6
10-96

Another issue could be your ejector pin. If you look down at the bolt face, you'll see a pin inside the recess off the side of the firing pin hole. Is that pin nice, round, and flat? With an empty casing, does it push in and out with a fair degree of effort? Sometimes problems with those can be easy to overlook.

I suspect a thing or two... because I've seen a thing or two.
Old August 11, 2012, 08:26 AM   #7
Pezo

Im gonna try to soak the bolt in kerosene. Will kerosene be good? Then small amount of oil. Also to mention first session 15 rounds no problems. second session 50 rounds of federal bought at local gun store. It was federal 110 grain. The box was old and the rounds were tarneshed beyond normal. Some of the metal on the jackets was worn away to lead! This was the ammo I was shooting when this isue started. I did a cleaning to the bore and plain hand cleaning around the bolt etc. I thought for sure getting better ammo would work. 3rd session shot brand new shiney remington (50 rounds) and some new shiney federal (25 rounds) I had on hand. This session same thing sooty casing and extraction/ejection issues. Maybe the crappy ammo from session 2 did some deaper in fouling. Thank you. I want to get this handy carbine running reliable.
Old August 11, 2012, 10:15 AM   #8
NickySantoro

Also to mention first session 15 rounds no problems. second session 50 rounds of federal bought at local gun store. It was federal 110 grain. The box was old and the rounds were tarneshed beyond normal. Some of the metal on the jackets was worn away to lead! This was the ammo I was shooting when this isue started.

Sounds like some poor quality reloads. Good idea about cleaning the bolt, it can't hurt, but try some factory fresh ammo the next time and I believe your problem will disappear.
FWIW
YMMV
Old August 11, 2012, 10:34 PM   #9
James K
Member In Memoriam

Soot on the front of the case is normal up to a point. If excessive, it indicates the case neck is not expanding enough to seal off the chamber. That is usually the result of too light a load or a load with the wrong powder. I am surprised that it occured with factory ammo, though.

Jim