The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old January 20, 2008, 09:50 AM   #1
kemp

Mini-14 mags

im up in canada so we have the 5 round limit. I know there are mags out there that are pinned (rivet) to 5 round. Im looking for a 30 round that is pinned. anyone know a online store that sells them and can ship up here. let me know, thanks. [email protected]
Old January 20, 2008, 09:56 AM   #2
armoredman

90% of Mini-14 20/30 round mags are unreliable. John Masen corp makes some 20 and 30 round mags that usually work. You could try calling them and asking if they would make a few pinned for you. One thing you won't find is anyone willing to part with a rare and very expensive Ruger factory 30 round mag so you can permantly alter it.
Are there any import restrictions on mags, even pinned to 5 round capacity mags, up to that frozen Canuckland? It's supposed to be about 60 degrees today, brrr...
Old January 21, 2008, 11:58 AM   #3
beardenbc

Most mini mags out there do suck.
The 30 rd ProMag clips I have now are good, but only because I dremeled them. They fit fine, but the upper lips were so thick that they blocked the bolt from even going forward. I had to sit there and shave them down to kind of a pointed edge just to get them to work, and if I had shaved them down much more, they wouldn't hold the round in place.

You'd think that these manufacturers would at least stick them in a rifle and cycle a few rounds through before attempting to sell them to the public. I guess a little QC is too much to ask for these days.