The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old November 22, 2000, 10:19 PM   #1
hoteisama

Good price? I believe it also has a front bead night sight.
Old November 23, 2000, 06:39 AM   #2
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

With standard Expresses going for not much more than $225-50 new, it sounds a bit high to me.
Old November 23, 2000, 07:24 AM   #3
Ala Dan
Member in memoriam

I gave $379.88 + sales tax for a NIB Remington 870 Marine Magnum.

Best Wishes,
Ala Dan, N.R.A. Life Member
Old November 23, 2000, 09:45 PM   #4
twist996

recently got a rem 870 wingmaster police trade in in great shape for a little over $200....for $300 i can get a new moss 590...doesn't sound so good to me...
Old November 24, 2000, 03:19 PM   #5
JNewell

I have seen these not too long ago for around $370.

But -- the PM is probably (I'm guessing) the only shotgun now coming out of Remington without all the PC and cost-saving compromises. So, if you want it, buy it. Sixty dollars won't feel like a whole lot a year or two from now, especially if (when) these go the way of the other Remington shotguns.

As an alternative, good used 870s are still plentiful and relatively inexpensive. But if you want it, and the dealer won't come down, it may still be worth from a longer term perspective. Certainly, you are unlikely ever to regret buying the 870 PM even if the price seems a little high now.
Old November 25, 2000, 06:29 PM   #6
Mr Purple

Here's something that I think most people overlook when considering price (on anything): when you buy something, you should have confidence in the dealer (or gunsmith) selling it to you. Price is certainly an issue, but I would much rather pay a little more to a gunsmith that will actually take care of me than to get a great price from a schmuck that looks no further than the end of the sale. What I'm trying to say is that there's always someone out there willing to sell something for less than another will, but if I know that I'll get service (if I need it) from the guy that costs a bit more, I'll go to the man that will service me AFTER the sale. All of this may be kind of a non-issue with Police Magnum (mine has better than 10,000 rounds through it without a single flaw), but I've been burned by dealers that wouldn't - or couldn't- reciprocate(truly a case of the fool being badly burned, if you follow me). Through my business I'm capable of buying many things at the same cost my gunsmith pays, but out of respect for him I'd never do it. The knowledge and service he provides me is well worth the markup he makes on me. After all, he needs to make a living too, right?
The Police Magnum is well worth the money -- it may well be overkill, but there really is no such thing as overkill.