The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old July 16, 2013, 09:12 PM   #1
new_camper

Hunters Safety Question

I took a hunters safety class in High School and have never gotten a hunting license in NC. I have only been deer hunting in Virginia. I have since lost my hunters safety card, and was going to go deer hunting in NC later this year. I think that I need the card to get a NC license. Is there a way that I can get a copy of the card, or do I need to take the class over again?
Old July 16, 2013, 09:46 PM   #2
big al hunter

Contact NC fish and wildlife. You should be able to get a replacement at little or no cost.
Old July 17, 2013, 07:34 AM   #3
Sure Shot Mc Gee

+ one for the big al hunter comment._
Old July 17, 2013, 09:37 AM   #4
deepcreek

I lost a card from another state, I contacted that state and they wanted paper work - a fee + wait weeks. So I just paid a smaller fee and went and sat through another 5or7 hours of safety class.

Not say that is what you should do, but it is an option if the other state give you the run around.
Old July 17, 2013, 10:31 AM   #5
jstgsn

lost hunter safety card

In Delaware it's all on line. You fill out the questionnaire and they give you an access pin. From there you can see all the safety classes you have taken, hunter safety, turkey hunting, etc. Perhaps your state is like that.
Old July 17, 2013, 06:09 PM   #6
Gbro

In MN a duplicate FAS cert can be purchased for $3.50 in numourus ways. At any ELS site, at the DNR office in St. Paul, over the Internet and one other found here on this link. http://www.dnr.state.mn.us/licenses/...l?type=hunting
But our drivers license is also endorsed with FAS.
The card is different from just a few years back where the instructor would sign it. When someone would call because they needed a duplicate or all the 11 year olds that we didn't get the certs to hand out would get it in the mail after their 12th birthday called to get the signature of one of us instructors.
Old July 17, 2013, 07:03 PM   #7
Miss Stana

I guess each state is a little different. Nevada looks it up on line and I don't think there is a fee. I got my card in Utah, I just contacted fish and game and they looked it up by my name and sent me a duplicate card. I think there was a small fee.

AIC
Custom Rifles
Old July 17, 2013, 07:54 PM   #8
steveNChunter

New camper- if you took the class in NC you will still be in their database and they should be able to look you up/give you a replacement card. If you took the class in VA, I'm not sure if its honored here or not. If you took it in VA, the easiest thing to do would probably be to just take it again in NC.

I took the class in elementary school as an afterschool class. But I grew up in the rural NC mountains where everybody hunts so it seemed normal then. (Bet that never happened in city schools!) That was still in the days when people making decisions in the education system realized the value of teaching kids about firearms safety and wildlife conservation. That was in the early '90's, I don't think they are allowed to do it at school anymore. . What a shame.
Old July 17, 2013, 09:46 PM   #9
new_camper

I actually took it in high school in NC. I also found a link on the wildlife website where they would mail me a new one. Thanks everyone
Old July 18, 2013, 02:15 PM   #10
Paul B.

"New camper- if you took the class in NC you will still be in their database and they should be able to look you up/give you a replacement card. If you took the class in VA, I'm not sure if its honored here or not. If you took it in VA, the easiest thing to do would probably be to just take it again in NC."

I believe the Hunter Safety card is recognized by all 50 states. I've been asked when hunting out of state if I'd taken the course or was born over a certain day which would specify me as 21 or older. I've always been much older even before they started the Hunter Education program.
I took the class about 12 or 13 years ago because it gave me an exxtra point toward drawing a tag. About 6 months later I became an instructor and have been teaching ever since. THose classes are a heck of a lot of fun.
Paul B.
Old July 19, 2013, 07:36 AM   #11
ChasingWhitetail91

In Ct the rule is if you go four years without buying a permit, your certification expires. You then have to take another NRA course if you want to go hunting.
Old July 20, 2013, 12:05 AM   #12
tahunua001

you should just be able to contact the state you took it and be able to get it reissued, since you took it in NC they should have you in the system anyway and after you get your first license then you just show them that from then on and they'll just give you a new license every year.
Old August 15, 2013, 10:23 AM   #13
mwmjones

Here in Colorado they have kept records for mare than 50 years, just contact your local Div of Wildlife main office and they should be able to hook you up