The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old May 17, 2009, 02:06 PM   #1
Josh Smith

Who Made This 7.62x39 Round???

Hello,

I recently traded a bunch of loose 7.62x54R for loose 7.62x39.

Most of the stuff I've identified, but this one has me stumped:

The case and bullet are not magnetic. The case looks as if it may have been annealed as well, but it doesn't show in the picture.

No headstamp? Additionally, it looks like there's a small indent in the primer.

I've searched the Web, and can find nothing at all on a 7.62x39 round without a headstamp.

I'm beginning to wonder if this was reloaded, or perhaps intended for clandestine operations, as one radical website suggests.

Does anyone have a clue as to what this stuff might be? I have 10 rounds on a stripper clip, and I may have a couple more rounds that I can pull and maybe weigh the bullet and powder charges. I also figure that if these are reloaded, the bullet would have a diameter of .308 instead of .311, correct?

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks,

Josh <><
Old May 17, 2009, 02:37 PM   #2
B. Lahey

The combination of all-brass, no headstamp, and the reddish primer sealant means it could be some of the Lake City 7.62x39 meant for something going on in Cambodia.

If the sealant is really more of a light orange, and the camera didn't catch the color quite right, it's probably Yugo, and quite a bit less rare.

The LC was boxer primed, but I don't think I can recommend taking one apart to check. That stuff is pretty rare, and I would think you would want your whole stripper intact to retain maximum value.

Maybe ask around on an ammo collector site?

The ding in the primer probably just means it was chambered once, but not fired.
Old May 17, 2009, 02:58 PM   #3
Josh Smith

Hello,

I had a couple extra, loose rounds. I pulled one apart.

It's Berdan primed. The primer is about the color as in the pic; my eyes can't tell the difference.

However, if you take a look at the picture, it looks like the built-in anvil is not necessarily built in, but a separate piece that could be removed for Boxer priming...? Never saw this before.

I think I'll put the stripper clip up and just not shoot the stuff.

Thanks,

Josh <><
Old May 17, 2009, 03:03 PM   #4
B. Lahey

My red color vision sucks, so don't rely on my eyeballs for this, but since that primer sealant looks sort of orangish, and it's at least some kind of berdan priming, it seems more likely to be Yugo than the LC spooky stuff.

The photos of the Yugo I have seen seemed to have a lighter shade of orange, though, so who knows...

It still could be worth asking around a bit more. If it's Yugo, it's unusual Yugo.
Old May 17, 2009, 03:45 PM   #5
RockyMtnTactical

The indent on the primer was probably from it having been chambered before.