The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old November 2, 2011, 05:01 PM   #1
Colvin

A question I pondered...

If you were a parent of a teenage child, what would you want happen to your guns of you passed away?

Assuming that the child has a few guns of their own, what would you expect them to do? Turn them into the cops, give them to someone else, have a friend hold them, or advise the kid to keep them?
Old November 2, 2011, 05:47 PM   #2
Jim Watson

If Junior is already an enthusiast, I would leave him the guns, subject to them being held by an executor until he was old enough to possess, shoot, carry, or sell them legally. Probably age 21 to be sure. There could be provisions for supervised use in the meanwhile.

Give them to the cops? Ugh.
Old November 3, 2011, 06:05 AM   #3
Colvin

Wait, why the hell did I post this in gear and accessories?

Well, meant to post it in general discussion. If a mod could move it, that'd be great. Thanks.
Old November 3, 2011, 06:41 PM   #4
Mobuck

Before my kids reached the age required to legally take possesion, I had a "gun will" with a 3rd party to hold the firearms until they reached legal age. Since they're all over 21 now, that's a moot point. All three know which guns are "theirs" but there are quite a few which have to be passed out either randomly or by drawing lots to determine order of choice.
Old November 4, 2011, 10:18 AM   #5
plumbercrack

Guns to teens

Any of you leaving a will hate your kids. Wills are subject to probate nightmares. A living trust is the way to go and has no nightmares. If your kids are already responsible shooters give them the guns. They probably have a lot of positive experiences shooting those guns with you and those memories will be important to them upon your demise. I have a Yugo SKS that is Old Reliable and my daughter better not let it go to the cops.