The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Harley Nolden Memorial Institute for Firearms Research

Old March 22, 2000, 11:53 PM   #1
Bullwinkle

I have a buddy who is looking at a "Thompson" style gun. Its has the following markings:

"Commando Mark V"
S/N "31XXX"
"Volunteer Enterprises
Knoxville, Tenn."
Patent No. "3695143"

What can you tell me about this gun, history, range of value, etc. My buddy would also be interested to know if any special "Assault" weapon transfer restrictions are applicable for this piece.
Old March 23, 2000, 02:28 AM   #2
Steven Mace

Bullwinkle, if your "Tommy Gun" says Volunteer Enterprises then it was made sometime between 1969-1976. Sometime during 1976 they changed their name to Commando Arms.

My records show two versions manufactured during this time, the Mark III Carbine chambered in .45 ACP and the Mark 9 Carbine chambered in 9x19mm. Both versions used a semiautomatic blowback action with a 16.5" barrel having a rear peep sight and a blade front sight. Either version in excellent condition could be worth about $$375-$425 with a slight premium added for those with a vertical grip. Hope this helps!

Steve Mace

------------------
After today, its all historical
Old March 23, 2000, 08:57 AM   #3
fal308
Staff Alumnus

I looked at one of these a couple of years ago, 1996 IIRC. It looked like a piece of potmetal junk. They were asking $200 for it then and no one was taking them up on it.
Old March 23, 2000, 05:30 PM   #4
Reloader

Magazines that fit it are almost non-existent. A friend has one in his gunshop going on 15 years and cannot sell because it has one magazine and can't find any others.