The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old June 30, 2016, 05:40 PM   #26
RoughDivider

Go to palmetto state armory, they should have combo stock/buffer kit. I also recommend their BCG, cheaper and just as good. Also if you don't already have it in hand, shop around for a better price on that aero lower, that's high. Or I'd just recommend a PSA Blem. I don't actually have a blemish on mine and it shoots just fine. But it's your money.
Old June 30, 2016, 06:43 PM   #27
rickyrick

We are not trying to talk you out of anything, just giving you options.

Picking out parts and self assembly is kinda fun and easy... Just sharing, no pressure.

What happens to many of us is this, we buy a gun or a kit, decide on some improvement, and end up with a box of spare AR parts. That box is tempting. You may build another lol.

I just ordered a Giesell trigger, hehe. Now I'll have another fcg for the "box"

Sounds like you want quality, there's plenty of options there.

There's nothing wrong getting pre assembled kits. But you can hand pick each component if not in a hurry.

Get on the various mailing lists, you can get great deals as most vendors have daily blasts.
Old June 30, 2016, 07:18 PM   #28
turtlehead

I like the Magpul CTR stocks. A very popular option.
Old June 30, 2016, 08:12 PM   #29
leafybug

Ricky, generally I would agree but I'm not well versed with every part of the ar 15, so when I buy each part indivually I tend to get confused
Old June 30, 2016, 09:03 PM   #30
damienph

Another vote for the Magpul CTR stock. A little more money than the MOE but worth it for the locking feature.
Old June 30, 2016, 09:13 PM   #31
RoughDivider

I'll vote for the CTR and the STR. I like the storage, for ya know..... >.> reasons. And leafy. If it were me, I would order a LPK from PSA without a fire control group(trigger and hammer and such) and get a trigger of your choice. Geisselle, ALG, LaRue etc. I know those get rave reviews, of course I know RRA makes some good stuff too. Me personally, I don't need a super nice trigger. My 16" has just a mil spec PSA trigger and my pistol/SBR build has an ALG QMS which means mil spec weight, but no grittiness.
Old June 30, 2016, 09:30 PM   #32
Ibmikey

I have completed well over a dozen builds with Aero products and although a bit more expensive you get super quality and barrels that shoot where they are pointed. I just finished two Aero builds using enhanced uppers and rails in FDE, they are really looking nice and should shoot just as good.
Hope your build satisfies you greatly...the Magpul CTR or Rogers Super Stoc are great products and lock down tight.....don't forget an extended charging handle and end plate that will accept a single point sling.
Old June 30, 2016, 09:31 PM   #33
leafybug

Good thought..I might post links tomorrow of everything I have so far to make sure I've got all the parts
Old June 30, 2016, 10:48 PM   #34
rootbeer62

20 rd magazine work much better for bench rest shooting. I used parts from PSA and Primary Arms. On my second AR/M4 build PSA did not have the BCG in stock, Primary Arms had the identical BCG for the same price. I enjoyed building these rifles. Got some house chores to take care of and then on to the AR10.