The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old August 20, 2009, 10:22 AM   #1
samco

ASM Grips

Hi All

Just bought my second 58 Remmie.Ist was a pietta, this ones a ASM unfired.Beautiful gun except for grips.Not sure they are even made for this gun thats how bad they fit.Any one know where replacements can be found?
Also w/ brass frame can this gun handle 30 gr. pyrodex pellets. If not how can you safely cut the pellets down? Just asking?

Samco
Old August 20, 2009, 10:51 AM   #2
Noz

Opinion!!
Pyrodex is a little hotter (maybe as much as 10%?) than regular black powder.
Pyrodex pellets were intended for use in front loading rifles.
30 grs of black in a cap and ball revolver is a load.
30 grs of black powder in a brass frame revolver is an over load.
If you are going to shoot it 50 times over it's life, you'll never see the difference. 500 shots will probably damage it.
I like 25 grs of FFFg in all my steel framed 44 cal revolvers.
Old August 20, 2009, 11:10 AM   #3
Doc Hoy

I think.....

Sam,

Here is the contact info for Deer Creek in Indiana. He handles ASM stuff.

Deer Creek Products, PO Box 246, Waldron, Indiana 46182. (765) 525-6181.

Tnx,
Old August 20, 2009, 12:18 PM   #4
Hawg

Quote:
Pyrodex is a little hotter (maybe as much as 10%?) than regular black powder.
I dunno about modern powder but the black powder of 20 years ago is stronger than Pyrodex.

Quote:
30 grs of black powder in a brass frame revolver is an over load.
30 grs. ought to be ok in a .44 but I'd keep a close watch on the recoil shield and at the first sign of the cylinder ratchett leaving an impression I'd cut it down.

IMHO you're not going to get reliable ignition with pellets. best stick to loose powder.
Old August 21, 2009, 09:30 AM   #5
madcratebuilder

Quote:
Any one know where replacements can be found?
Dixie Gun Works is a good source.

Quote:
Also w/ brass frame can this gun handle 30 gr. pyrodex pellets.
Not for long.
A diet of 30gr loads well damage the brass frame. Personally I would not load more than 22grs in a brass .44. An occasional 25gr load should be OK.

Quote:
If not how can you safely cut the pellets down?
Hodgdon does not say anything about that on their web site. I assume the 30gr pellets you have are the ones made for C&B revolvers? I would just save them until you have a steel frame .44.

This is from Hodgdons web site.
Pyrodex yields more energy per pound than does blackpowder.

Cap and Ball revolvers just entered the modern age! No flask or spout, no loose powder mess; loading has never been cleaner or easier. These 30 grain volume Pellets are intended for use in 44 or 45 caliber cap and ball revolvers.
Old August 21, 2009, 09:40 AM   #6
Hawg

Any replacement grips you get are going to have to be fitted.
Old August 21, 2009, 11:58 AM   #7
samco

asm grips

Thanks guys:

I am going to try to inlet these a little. There is not much to play with, maybe 1/8" Deer Creek has replacements for 23.00+. May or may not be any better than what I've got. I would like to find some laminated grips but don't know where to look. Any idea's?

Samco
Old August 21, 2009, 12:01 PM   #8
Hawg

I doubt you're going to find off the shelf custom for an ASM. If Pietta or Uberti is a close enough fit you might go that route.
Old August 21, 2009, 12:24 PM   #9
Doc Hoy

Why don't you...

Sam,

You are already talking about inletting, not one of the more basic woodworking operations. This implies to me that you know your way around a wood shop.

Why don't you just make your own? You can get the screw and screw whole inserts that will work with your pistol. I'd get all three parts from VTI for which ever pistol they happen to have in stock.

I am working on an 1863 for which I will be needing grips and I simply refuse to pay such an outrageous price for two little snubbles of wood that are not going to be a great fit in the first place.

The hardest part is the shape of the grip where it meets the crescent part of the frame up close to the recoil shield. That will take either a band saw or a scroll saw. Another is drilling the holes for the little locating pins. Not hard to drill the holes but it may be a challenge to know where to drill.

When I do the grips for the Pocket remington, I will get these two aspects of the grips right. Then I will start shaping the rest of he grip.

Tnx,
Old August 21, 2009, 01:10 PM   #10
samco

asm grips

Hi Doc Hoy

You are right about knowing my way around a wood shop. Contractor and carpenter since 1958. No problem drilling small hole.File post to sharp point and press down hard thus marking spot.measure 3 times ,drill once.

Samco