The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old September 27, 2008, 09:50 PM   #1
MeekAndMild

Acorn Crop?

I've noticed that the acorn crop all around Dixie this year is really good, as is the level of greenery. There are so many persimmons the tree limbs are breaking from the weight. This makes sense as we've had a normal amount of rainfall and a relatively cool summer after 2 years of hot and dry weather.

So I'm predicting the deer (or at least those which survived the blue tongue disease epidemic last year) will be big, fat and not so much inclined to visit green fields until the late season.

What are others' observations and predictions?
In a few years when the dust finally clears and people start counting their change there is a pretty good chance that President Obama may become known as The Great Absquatulator. You heard it first here on TFL.
Old September 28, 2008, 07:11 AM   #2
thallub

The acorn crop in this part of OK looks good. Last year we had a bumper crop of acorns due to all the rain. Pecans were plentiful last year also.
Old September 28, 2008, 04:49 PM   #3
VaFisher

Acorn crop looks good here in VA.
Old September 28, 2008, 07:37 PM   #4
bswiv

Here in NE Fl. the water oak acorns have started to fall. Looks to be a good crop even though some of them were knocked off early due to Fay.....

The few white, red and overcup trees we have I can't say about as I've not had a look at the few on the property we hunt yet.

The live oaks drop much later so it's to early to tell with them.

For us the wet summer we've had will make for lots of nice green stuff for them to brouse on.
Old September 28, 2008, 08:37 PM   #5
Bowhunter57

In this section of Ohio (Northwest) there's been a drought. We're about 4" to 6" behind on rainfall. However, that hasn't kept the Oaks from producing an abnormal amount of acorns.

Ohio's deer archery season opened this past Saturday, the 27th and I've been watching them munchin' on acorns all afternoon.

Good hunting, Bowhunter57
Old September 28, 2008, 08:41 PM   #6
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

Tons of water oak acorns in the florida panhandle, haven't seen many white oaks to know how they are doing... But we had very little wind damage from any of the passing storms so likely they will be fair to good at least.
Brent
Old September 28, 2008, 09:22 PM   #7
Fat White Boy

California mast crop looks exceptional. All Oak trees I have seen from Monterey to Orange County are loaded with acorns....
Old September 29, 2008, 08:28 AM   #8
BIGR

I have seen a huge crop of mast this year, along with tons of apples. That should help out my corn bill this year.
Old September 29, 2008, 08:41 AM   #9
rantingredneck

White and Red Oaks around Central NC are loaded. We've had some dropped due to high winds and storms the last few weeks. Deer are definitely feeding on them. I arrowed one last week who was munching acorns under my stand.

There are a few persimmon trees on the property and they're also loaded.