The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old April 17, 2007, 12:42 PM   #1
Keenan Goss

Your favorite brass?

I was looking to buy some new brass, and looking at all the different companies that make brass Winchester, Federal, Nosler ect. Who builds the best brass? Which have been the best for you? I personally will be reloading a .30-06.
Old April 17, 2007, 01:18 PM   #2
sasquatch

I have used 3 or 4 different brands but now stick exclusively with Federal FC for our .30-'06s and my .270 Win. Not any real reason for my choice, I guess, but it has proven to be problem-free for the last 10 years, or so.

I buy once-fired brass, usually on Ebay.
Old April 17, 2007, 01:42 PM   #3
WCW

Winchester brass is definitely my favorite. I’m still trying to wear out a whole slew of new Winchester brass in 30-06 I picked up at a gun show years ago. It’s been great stuff, and very durable. I also use Winchester brass for all my other rifles as well, and almost exclusively for .45 ACP, .357 mag, and .38 Special. The .38 Special brass seems to last forever when using wadcutters.

I’ve also used a lot of Remington brass for reloading a .260 the last few years, and that is also proving to be top drawer stuff as well. I really don’t think you could go too far wrong with any of the major name brands of brass.
Old April 17, 2007, 02:02 PM   #4
cheygriz

WCC, RA, FC or LC MilSurp if you can find it.

And LC Match is the top o' the heap!
Old April 17, 2007, 05:29 PM   #5
Crazy4nitro

Free Brass...
Old April 17, 2007, 05:33 PM   #6
hodaka

Free Winchester brass.
Old April 17, 2007, 07:22 PM   #7
Ammo Junky

Win for rifle, Win or starline for pistol.

I apologise in advance for spelling errors.
Old April 17, 2007, 09:46 PM   #8
ammo.crafter

Norma for rifle and IMI for handguns.
Old April 18, 2007, 10:14 AM   #9
Keenan Goss

The what makes Lapua, Norma, and Nosler so expensive?
Old April 18, 2007, 10:15 AM   #10
Smokey Joe

BEST brass

bar none, price be darned, is Lapua for centerfire rifle brass. Norma is a close second.

Very uniform for weight and capacity; flash holes drilled not punched; what's not to like? The xtra cost for these brands is in the quality control, plus importation. Worth it IMHO.

I note that you didn't specify anything about availability nor price. Free range pickup brass is the cheapest and easiest to "buy," and of course your '06 uses one of the easiest-to-find of brass at almost any rifle range. Winchester from Wally World is probably the easiest commercial source of brass but you have to buy it as ammo and shoot the ammo. The resultant brass is very nice, but not in the same league as Lap. or Nor.

When I began reloading I found that one of my '06's preferred Rem brass and the other shot better with Win brass. (Go figure.) I now use Lapua for all my '06 reloading.

The brass doesn't cost all that much from Midway, and it lasts close to forever. Well, close enough for my purposes.

--Smokey Joe

Last edited by Smokey Joe; April 18, 2007 at 10:16 AM. Reason: The usual--had another thought.
Old April 18, 2007, 10:58 AM   #11
azredhawk44

In my evil black M1A, it seems to favor Remington or Lake City brass above Winchester, Federal or Nosler. Win, Fed and Nosler are much softer than Remington and get torn apart by the action, since the brass is extracted while still hot and even still under significant pressure. Lake City is just thicker than the rest and is stronger for that reason.

I get 3-5 reloads out of Winchester, 2-3 out of Federal and 6-8 out of Remington.

That's for .308 out of a gas-action though. If you're shooting a bolt gun then you have a lot more room for other preferences.
Old April 18, 2007, 11:00 AM   #12
RERICK

For rifle I would have to say Lapua is my #1, then Winchester. I've used Federal and Remington. For the AR Lake city and WCC is what I use most of.
For Pistol I would have say I use mostly Winchester and Remington. They have both worked just fine. But like said by others I like the free stuff also.
Old April 18, 2007, 03:53 PM   #13
dgc940

if I was after accuarcy I would say lapua then norma. I fi was just loading for hunting I wouldnt care. but I dont like federal at all! Its harder than I was at 16yo.
Old April 18, 2007, 06:15 PM   #14
mrawesome22

Free brass
Old April 18, 2007, 06:48 PM   #15
Shane Tuttle
Staff

I have to reiterate what Smokey Joe said. IMO, he hit the nail on the head. Lapua and Norma are my favorites. I use S&B also. I seems to get a little work hardened sooner than the Remingtons or Winchesters.

Two items to consider on my opinion:
1. My input is 6.5x55 Swedish brass and .22-250. It's the closest comparision out of my collection that I can give you.
2. I haven't tried Lake City's brass. Heard pretty good stuff, but no direct experience.

Posting and YOU: http://www.albinoblacksheep.com/flash/posting
Old April 19, 2007, 09:34 AM   #16
L Puckett

My opinion (for what it is worth), best to least is:

1) RWS
2) Lapua
3) Lake City (Match/LR)
4) Winchester
5) Remington, Federal and the rest

LP
Old April 19, 2007, 12:59 PM   #17
Keenan Goss

I noticed nobody has mentioned anything about Nosler? Has anybody used this brass, or is it still in question? Midway has the 06's on sale, its just a couple of dollars cheaper than Laupa. Would it be worth a try or should I stay with a known great brand?
Old April 19, 2007, 01:41 PM   #18
Zippy06

I'm kinda picky, when it comes to my brass.
I guess, I'm partial to freee brass.
G17, S&W 686, G22C, Colt H-Bar, Marlin, Savage 10FP. Be safe. Be happy
Old April 19, 2007, 10:57 PM   #19
Smokey Joe

Nosler brass

Keenan Goss--Nosler brass is new on the market. It appeared with a great deal of fanfare. Comes well reccommended. Not many people have tried it so far.

Why don't YOU try some and report yr results back to us??!!?

Seriously, it's supposed to be very good and it certainly isn't likely to be downright bad. If it's a little cheaper than Lapua but very nearly as good, we may have something here. That'd put it in about the same class as Norma brass, which certainly is not bad company.

--Smokey Joe
Old April 20, 2007, 07:37 AM   #20
FM12

Most brass nowadays is really good stuff. I dont buy the more expensive, but take care of the brass I use. Usually will prep it by trimming to length, and trimming the residual brass on the inside of the flash hole. Take good care of any of your brass, and it'll take care of you! I've had good results with Winchester in my .223 reloads, both for AR and bolt guns.
Old April 20, 2007, 08:02 AM   #21
Keenan Goss

Put the order in to Midway this morning. I should be receiving them Monday. I picked up 50 of the Nosler .30-06. By next Friday I will try to have some results. I will also load Winchester, Remington, and Federal. Besides durability, what should I look for?
Old April 20, 2007, 08:38 AM   #22
dgc940

Keenan I dont mean to sound like a smart $#@ but if your not sure what else you need to look for than why the concern for the ultimate brass?
In 30-06 I assume your hunting? Because your one tough son of a gun if your target shooting with it! Any of the brass brands with reloading can be made to shoot better than factory rounds in your gun. the only reason I use premium brass is I'm searching for bug hole groups and the premium comes closer to finished prepped more uniform in weight and smaller flash holes.
For hunting large game I doubt the deer moose or elk will care what brass you use and for those large animals shooting a 3/4 group or a 1 1/4 group aint gonna mater will it?
Old April 20, 2007, 11:54 AM   #23
Keenan Goss

I must be a tough son of a gun then. The reason I want the best brass is, I like to shoot. I shoot up to 5 times a week. If i can get 50 or so of the best brass that will last 15 weeks, I will be willing to pay more than the cheaper brass that will only last 8 weeks. I have read about case head seperation, and the signs to look for, but I was trying to ask the pros, what do you look for in a good piece of brass? There is a reason that these companies get more for their brass. Oh and who wouldn't want the ultimate brass. I do.
Old April 20, 2007, 08:05 PM   #24
Shane Tuttle
Staff

"Besides durability, what should I look for?"

I look for how long the brass stays malleable. Also, the uniformity of thickness of the brass. Those are a couple of things I look at...

"Keenan I dont mean to sound like a smart $#@ but if your not sure what else you need to look for than why the concern for the ultimate brass?"

Who cares? If that's what he wants, by all means give him the information and let Keenan decide...

Posting and YOU: http://www.albinoblacksheep.com/flash/posting
Old April 20, 2007, 11:57 PM   #25
dgc940

If thats the case than you will find people who want the best brass buy lupua