The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old September 9, 2010, 03:09 PM   #1
divil

1911 hurts the web of my hand

My Taurus 1911 .45 starts to hurt the web of my hand after I've fired a few shots. It's really bothering me because the gun feels like such a perfect fit, very ergonomic, but then the recoil just seems ferocious. I am not being hit by the slide or anything like that, it seems to be just the recoil. Is this normal, should I just get used to it?
Old September 9, 2010, 04:01 PM   #2
RickB

I don't notice a whole lot of recoil in my 1911s, unless I'm doing load development for 10mm . The gun definitely shouldn't hurt. Are there sharp edges on the frame, grip safety, or thumb safety? Does the gun hav thin grips (reducing the "impact area" and concentrating the recoil)?
Old September 9, 2010, 04:05 PM   #3
divil

There doesn't seem to be any sharp edges. I'll have a closer look when I get home, but it feels just fine when I'm not firing!

It does have non-standard grips - not sure what you call this but the grips are contoured for your fingers, at the front, if you know what I mean. I didn't think that was an issue but now that you mention it it makes sense...maybe the back of the handle is now thinner. I'll take a close look at that too. I don't know if these are the grips that came with the gun originally (I got it used) but presumably they can be changed for standard ones?
Old September 9, 2010, 04:07 PM   #4
oldone

I wear a shooting glove. It works for me maybe for you.
The tips of the fingers are open.
Old September 9, 2010, 05:10 PM   #5
THORN74

could you post a pick of the guns grip area, beaver tail area, and possibly one displaying ur shooting grip? perhaps ur holding it wrong?
Springfield Armory Inc. M1A Scout 7.62X51mm NATO -- Kar 98AZ (1917 Erfurt) 8mm Mauser -- Marlin Model 60 Glenfield .22LR -- Marlin 795 .22LR -- Marlin 915y .22LR -- AR15 5.56x45mm NATO -- Springfield Armory M1 Garand 30-06
Old September 9, 2010, 05:56 PM   #6
BigJimP

All the Taurus's I've seen -- have high ride beavertail grip safeties on them ...but maybe yours is a little different ...

But my hunch is, your issue is related to your grip on the gun/and it might be made worse by the grip panels you describe - that might be spreading your fingers. Some photos of the gun would help ....to be sure...

But in general on a 1911 ...you want your hand high and tight on the grip. Your other hand should be high / but under the trigger guard ....and your thumbs up and forward - with one thumb riding the safety ( but not touching the slide - although there is controversy on that issue ). It is possible / that the slide will impact the web of your hand - as the gun recoils - if you get too much pressure with the thumbs near the slide as you are firing.

My hunch is that an experienced 1911 shooter - can watch you shoot at the range / and fix your grip a little and it'll go away. The recoil on a 1911 in .45 acp / or any caliber ...shouldn't beat you up.
Old September 9, 2010, 06:04 PM   #7
Jimmy10mm

Not sure it it will help but years ago I was taught to take the pistol in my left hand and place it firmly in my right. I don't just pick it up off the bench with my right hand and shoot IOW. Place it correctly and in the same position every time you shoot a string.
Old September 9, 2010, 06:10 PM   #8
KyJim

Do you have a good, firm grip? A loose grip will probably have more of a "kick" than with a firm grip.
Old September 9, 2010, 06:21 PM   #9
doctruptwn

Another trick to help maintain, a high grip is to "ride" the thumb safety when your thumb. It forces you to have your hand high and will help with muzzle climb on the recoil phase. It takes some time to get use to and if your hand is small may be difficult to achieve.
Old September 9, 2010, 07:58 PM   #10
sailskidrive

something similar...

I shot my kid brother's M&P 40 and had a similar problem. I have a M&P 9 with the medium back strap on it, he has the largest back strap installed on his and it out right hurt my hand to fire it.

I never had that problem with my Kimber TLE II 1911; although it does feel small in my hand compared to my other handguns.

~Sail
Old September 9, 2010, 08:52 PM   #11
divil

The last 2 show my hand position when I'm firing. My right thumb would be resting on my left thumb (but I needed my left hand to take the pics!)

As you can see this is as high as my right hand can physically get.

Am I doing it wrong? =O

When you guys say "ride" the safety, do you mean my thumb should be on top of it? I have not tried shooting like that but it feels like I could manage it.
Old September 9, 2010, 09:13 PM   #12
p99guy

A hand exersizer to build up the muscle mass in between your thumb/ forefinger will help...your hand is rather slim as opposed to meaty...and its taking a beating. I had a .45 combat commander by age 9..and I have permanant divits in the web of both hands from the narrow stock grip safety tang. You can get through it( my .45 at 9 years old would make my hands bleed withen 30 shots...the tang digging up the web of my hand) Todays beavertail types are alot more friendly.

P.A.S.T. brand shooting gloves are allso something to try to encrease your shooting comfort....
Old September 9, 2010, 09:23 PM   #13
natjohnb

This Todd Jarret video shows proper gripping and handling of a 1911.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ysa50-plo48

It helped me shoot my 1911 a bit better
Old September 9, 2010, 11:18 PM   #14
Big Bill

I don't like the looks of the bottom of that beavertail on the backstrap. It looks as though that's where the problem is. If it were me, I'd sell the gun and get something designed better.
Old September 9, 2010, 11:24 PM   #15
comn-cents

The gun looks fine. Just keep practicing and you will get use to it. Or you won't and move on to another gun or caliber.
Old September 10, 2010, 07:18 AM   #16
lmccrock

Just curious - what ammo? It should not hurt, but some defensive ammo has enough oomph to be noticed.

Lee
Old September 10, 2010, 07:25 AM   #17
Kreyzhorse

Buy some shooting gloves or just get used to it. When I shoot, every gun I own at some point (expect my .22lr) will start to hurt my hand and or wrist if you shoot it long enough.

If you can't get used to it, it might be time to move onto something smaller.
Old September 10, 2010, 08:05 AM   #18
divil

The ammo is normal 230 grain FMJ, can't remember the actual brand.

I suppose my hand is not that strong, but I'll just get used to it, maybe try the gloves.
Old September 10, 2010, 04:53 PM   #19
thundrr1

From the one picture,,,,, it looks like the safety may be jabbing you by your thumb. When you put your thumb on top of the safety may not hurt.

Oh yea,,,, quit biting your nails.......

so many guns, so little time..
Old September 10, 2010, 05:26 PM   #20
Ten0fnine

Is the pain in the "skin" or in the meaty, deep tissue?

If it's a deep, aching pain, then building up that tissue (grip exercises) can help. The more meat between the gun and the bone, the less it will hurt.

However...

It looks to me like the pivot-point of the grip safety might be catching your skin. Over time, a callous will develop and the skin will toughen. Although, if it hurts to shoot a gun, chances are you won't want to do it often enough for the skin to thicken.
Old September 10, 2010, 05:29 PM   #21
FoxtrotRomeo

D, this is my technique.

Hand placement, same as yours, full shooting hand arm extension, lock elbow and wrist (think rigger mortise on a corpse), aim, pull trigger.

This transfers more felt recoil to your shoulder instead of your wrist. Hope that helps.
"The mediocre mind is incapable of understanding the man who refuses to bow blindly to conventional prejudices and chooses instead to express his opinions courageously and honestly." - Albert Einstein]
Old September 10, 2010, 09:32 PM   #22
Shane Tuttle
Staff

Looks like you're gripping the gun properly. Is it the notched grip safety that's giving you a hard time?

Working on your grip strength is encouraged. But it doesn't take so much grip strength as proper grip with both hands to control the gun well and correctly.

I'm not asking this to embarrass you, but do you work with your hands for a living? If your job entails being behind a desk and you don't have hobbies that entails the use of your hands for physical labor, you probably don't have very tough skin. It makes for firing a gun quite a bit more senistive in use. I'd look into firing your gun on a regular basis to build up calluses as needed like a new guitar player does with his/her fingers. Or gloves may be needed.

Posting and YOU: http://www.albinoblacksheep.com/flash/posting
Old September 10, 2010, 10:23 PM   #23
Sturmgewehre

I've found this works pretty well.

Old September 11, 2010, 12:11 PM   #24
Eagle0711

I wonder if an arched main spring housing would change the poisition of your hand and bring relief. Perhaps there is a gunsmith who would let you try one out. Good Luck, Lyle
Old September 11, 2010, 12:23 PM   #25
Jim243

You hand is too big for the grips get a set of Houges with the finger groves it will be like night and day the way it feels and shoots. You thumb should be just touching the mag release and your trigger finger is too far forward add mass to that pistol grip.

Jim

Last edited by Jim243; September 11, 2010 at 01:01 PM.