The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old January 19, 2000, 05:32 PM   #1
Oleg Volk
Staff Alumnus

Just picked up a Lady Defender (Winchester 1300 in 20ga.) with a Tru-Glo front sight. Will see how well it would work for trap shooting. The joke is that I can't find out till late spring...too much snow on the ground for skeet right now. At least it seems that I got an OK price on it ($269 new).

Any hints and tricks relevant to 1300s are appreciated.

------------------
Oleg

http://dd-b.net/RKBA

[This message has been edited by Oleg Volk (edited January 19, 2000).]
Old January 19, 2000, 06:06 PM   #2
Glenn E. Meyer

I have the 12 gauge and took a shotgun class with it. Nice gun. Tru-glo is a neat sight.

Enjoy. With tactical buck and slugs, the
12 isn't that hard on the old bod.
Old January 21, 2000, 03:49 AM   #3
ModIMark0

Oleg,
If I am correct about the Defender/Lady Defender series of Winchesters, the bolt will unlock partway after a round is fired, which also forces back the fore end (which can be a surprise). Anyone else reading this please correct me if this info is wrong.
Old January 25, 2000, 11:21 PM   #4
Shok

I recently bought a 1300 Shadow 12guage. Yes it does open after you fire it. The bolt face locks into the barrel and the recoil unlocks it. The stress is on the barrel and bolt face instead of the linkage. There is also a button that allows you to empty the tube without chambering any shells.

Shok
Old January 29, 2000, 01:10 PM   #5
Futo Inu

Oleg, what happened to the other 1300 that wouldn't feed?

Let me say that I like the pump action release button LOCATION on the 1300 (behind the triggerguard) much better than the forward location on a Rem 870, for example. The former is much more natural and intuitive, because when you shift your right hand forward to release the action on an 870, not only does it take you longer to get your hand back to firing position, which could be detrimental in a defense situation, but by releasing your shooting hand grip, this changes the center of gravity balance of your left hand, which then has to be shifted further back to steady the shotgun, so you can release the action. Course, none of this applies (viz a viz defense scenario) if you keep it chamber loaded.
Old January 29, 2000, 01:25 PM   #6
Oleg Volk
Staff Alumnus

I expect my one and only non-functional 1300 to be back from Winchester within a week. Rough chamber and poorly manufactured slide release.

I was in the room when a friend was cycling shells out of a 20ga 870 and his hand slipped from the slide release to the trigger...blam!
I like the 1300 location of the release better. The gun is comfortable and the glow sight works great. I still have a bead to fall back on if the glow sight falls off. Just wish the damn shotgun functioned...have no trust in its reliability at this point.
Old January 29, 2000, 05:56 PM   #7
cjb

I have owned a 1300 win. for years now.Mine is the N.W.T.F gun with the multi-colored laminated stock.I love it.It replaced an 870 express that just wasnt much of a shooter. Many people dont like the 1300's aluminum reciever,but I have never came across a bad one in our gunsmithing shop.You already have heard how the bolt works so I'll leave that one alone.Why did you buy the defender model to shoot trap with?That gun has no rib and is cylinder bore choked.A rib and choke tubes would have been much better,unless the gun is for home defense and you are just messing around shooting trap.By the way, the one minus on the 1300 is the WIN-CHOKE system.I have run across a few that were so tight the cheap spanner wrench from winchester would not remove them.The remington,and mossberg system works much better.I suggest buying a mossberg choke tube wrench and cutting a slot in the tubes with a dremmel tool. Thats what I did with mine.
Old January 29, 2000, 06:04 PM   #8
Oleg Volk
Staff Alumnus

The reason for shooting skeet is to get used to operating the shotgun. Shooting at static targets isn't all that educational.

I prefer that any gun I own be usable as either a defense tool or a training tool. I am not fond of pump shotguns (or 5-speed manual transmissions) but I recognize that they are very common and knowing how to use them may come in very handy.

I know that using an HD pump in 20ga will handicap me at skeet but I am not competing against pros with more experience and $5K O/U rigs...I am trying to improve my own skills.

Now if I could only find inexpensive 20ga buckshot for practice...

------------------
Oleg

http://dd-b.net/RKBA