The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old September 25, 2013, 01:32 PM   #26
BigJimP

Yes, he will cut a wood stock as well....but he's semi-retired now / and I'm not sure if he has help in the shop or not.

But I had a buddy this spring - that had Jack cut an adj comb into a parallel comb Browning BPS.....he's done real good work for a long time.

and yes, his replacement stocks for the Rem 870's and 11-87's and 1100's are a good product.
Old September 25, 2013, 06:50 PM   #27
zippy13

Dreamer, my friend, there's no one universal fix. As you know, from our previous conversations, my Skeet and trap guns have G-Squared recoil reducers, I shoot 2-3/4 DE loads in 12-ga, and I still had to have a titanium plate put in my neck. I recall seeing a recent pic of you shooting, and it looked like you had you gun pretty low on your shoulder.
Old September 25, 2013, 11:43 PM   #28
Dreaming100Straight

For cutting the comb I was thinking of sending my stock to Tracy at Gracoil, but that was when I was going to do the adjustable comb and the Gracoil recoil suppressing adjustable butt pad and I thought that they would know best how to fit everything into the stock of an XS Skeet. Per Tracy he has 2 or 3 workman that do nothing but cut stocks and install adjustable combs and Gracoils.

If I am only getting the comb done, I might take it local even if it costs a bit more in South Cali. The picture posted early on in this thread isn't the work of Gracoil or anyone local.

Zippy, our friend, I watched a guy shoot with a Square G. Kim Rhode recommended one to him and he loves it. Something like that is well worth the bucks if you are shooting a flat a better a day a few days a week, but I am not there and never will be.

I hope your neck is coming along, guy. I believe you first had the low back done and now the neck. Supposedly a similar neck cut is in the cards for me some day.

I have come a little way since you guys counseled me on getting my first shotgun and I spent 300+ for a Remington Express and have come to develop a modicum of appreciation for the nuances between guns and you are absolutely right that there is no universal fix. Still, the XS Skeet does a pretty good job of things as I am slowly learning to use the thing.

What you said about the gun being mounted low interests me. I used to stand more erect, with too much weight on my trailing foot, with the heel of the butt pretty high above my shoulder and I intentionally got it down. Perhaps the pendulum swung back the other way. Time for a mirror check.
Old September 26, 2013, 12:03 AM   #29
Bake

Dream,

Maybe you could look into lessons. Real time correction, real time feed back, & real time answer to your questions.

When looking for a teacher/instrutor/coach talk with them, and find out if they're just some old fart, that won a "Grand National" 25 years ago, or some guy thats wants you to pull for him and to pay him to shoot 100 straight and can't put 3 syllables together.

Last edited by Bake; September 26, 2013 at 03:06 PM.
Old September 26, 2013, 02:55 PM   #30
Dreaming100Straight

Actually, Bake, I have tried lessons. The first was a group Skeet lesson from an old boy called Ziggy that was well worth the whopping 20 bucks it cost. The next was $50 an hr with a guy who used to do gun fairs for Remington and the third was with a guy that won a few championships and is published in at least magazine re trap, and he really didn't help much. What helped the most was shooting with a group of decent shooters (A and AA class) and some tips from a few guys via long distance. They could do only so much with seeing me shoot, but did help.

Strange how the value of lessons seems inverse to costs.
Old September 26, 2013, 03:48 PM   #31
Bake

Dream,

Ziggy or Zippy? I have had a couple of Replies with Zippy, seems like a guy I could drop the tailgate for, and have a root beer, and smoke a cigar with, (after the match). Too bad the other two weren't any real help. I have found that group lessons seem to be where the best value is at.

The most help I ever got, was from my teamates during a Winter League. Everybody wanted everyone to shoot the highest possible score, so we could beat the other teams. All six of us went from "B" & "C" shooters to "A" & "AA" in one season. We shot a match everyother weekend, and would practice 2 or 3 times a week. The sixth man would do a spreadsheet on each one of us during the match, and that way we knew what to work on during practice.

Just remember, "Keep your head down & don't stop your swing".

Last edited by Bake; September 27, 2013 at 02:48 PM.
Old September 26, 2013, 09:43 PM   #32
pete2

I would say do what you want to, never hurts to reduce recoil. I got the XS skeet but I ordered it with the adjustable comb because most stocks are to low for me. Some are also too short. The last couple years I've been shooting an older 12ga 1100 field, added a half inch to the length and a 1/8" kickeze pad on the comb to raise it, shoots very well and kicks less than the 20ga XS. (I gave 300.00 for the 1100) you know what an XS costs. The XS would cock the hammers reliably so I sent it to Browning for repair while it was out I played around with the 1100 gun and I've yet to go back to the O/U gun. Don't be afraid to try different things. I recently bought an 1187 trap gun, very gentle on your shoulder. So far, I can't hit with it but I haven't given up on it yet.
I hope it works out. The 870 is ok except for doubles.
Old September 27, 2013, 07:14 PM   #33
Dreaming100Straight

Thanks, Pete. Actually it was BigJimP that suggested I go with the XS Skeet for an all around clays gun, but to get one with the adjustable comb. I should have if the boss hadn't put a $3K cap on what I could spend. I believe tonight she is going to tell me to go ahead and get it cut for an AC. Like most I start a new thing and get into it, but lose interest after a little while. I have been into this for almost 3 years with no sign of losing interest so she thinks it is worth spending some more on things.
Old September 27, 2013, 07:37 PM   #34
zippy13

Hey Bake... I think I was the one who turned Dream on to Ziggy's classes in El Monte. He's not related, but we've shot in some of the same matches.
Old September 27, 2013, 08:10 PM   #35
Bake

Oh! I thought it was a typo, never mind, you still can come over and have a root beer and a cigar, anytime...
Old September 27, 2013, 08:34 PM   #36
Dreaming100Straight

Actually I took the introductoy skeet lesson with Ziggy that was arranged for members of calguns.
Old September 29, 2013, 05:59 PM   #37
340 Weatherby

Dreamer, I believe after your wife shoots one of your guns today, and if your able to rent a youth model 20 Gauge, she will understand why you need your gun to fit you. I hope your wife and daughter don't kick your butt!
Old September 29, 2013, 06:28 PM   #38
Dreaming100Straight

I know you really were hoping that they would kick it! I didn't do all that well, but compared to what I did the last time they saw me shoot they were impressed. The puller was happy. He got a decent tip out of the skinflint.

We did rent a youth model 870 20 gauge after my wife tried to shoot my 12 gauge synthetic with the security barrel and she definitely now understands what it is like when a gun doesn't fit. They are pushing me to get a pistol.

Anyway, one purpose is to keep them familiar with the home security gun and while they may or may not hit a moving target at 36 yards, they should have no problem with shooting across a room.