The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old March 22, 2009, 11:03 PM   #1
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

Snakes are back out...

South texas dog that was bitten by a snake... Pic was posted by a fella on a hog doggin and bulldog board...

Funny to look at but man that dog has to be miserable as he heals. I hope he makes it...
Quote:
Spring has arrived in South Texas, and the snakes are back out in force. We killed one today, and my dog Skipper isn't too happy about finding another...
Brent
Old March 23, 2009, 06:02 AM   #2
Double Naught Spy

Poor pup.

Just to clarify, snakes will be out anytime weather permits. They do not operate based on seasonality or month, but temperature. The same goes for turtles for that matter.

In January 2007, we had a warm spell here in north Texas where temps were up in the 50s and 60s and the snakes were out. I came across a copperhead sunning himself along one of the trails at my place.

Being poikilothermic (aka cold-blooded which is a misnomer), ambient temps guide their lives. So when it is warm enough for their metabolism to get them up and going, they get up and go.
Old March 23, 2009, 02:22 PM   #3
ddeyo1

i wont hesitate to drop the hammer on a snake. rat snakes, milk snakes and garter snakes are just fine by me but not many copperheads make it past me
Old March 23, 2009, 03:07 PM   #4
grymster2007

Up the river some years ago, my brother's little 17 lb. dog was nosing around in a bush, yelped a bit and ran away. Then its face started swelling and it was obviously in pain. We looked for, but couldn't find a snake and assumed it was a rattler. Sis-in-law drove 50 miles and managed to get an animal clinic to open up and treat the dog. The dog was fine, but it's poor little face was swollen to two or three times its normal size. Next morning, my son was playing around near the bush and stepped backward over what we suspected was the offending snake.... The boy has hisself a nice rattle now.
Old March 23, 2009, 03:17 PM   #5
12GaugeShuggoth

My 19 year old cat got bit by a moccasin when he was probably 12 or 13. He's fine now, but boy was it hard to watch him as he was healing up. Needless to say I had quite a bone to pick with Mr. Moccasin.

I've been seeing snakes around for a while now as we've been having such warm weather. Last one was just a couple days ago while splitting wood.

---Enlightenment is the ability to take infinite pains---
MOLON LABE