The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

Old March 8, 2001, 10:12 PM   #1
CJO

Just put a 9mm on layaway...Wanted one for a long time but they seem difficult to find...I don't like the Packmyr grips (SP)...They seem to negate the wonderful ergonomics of the BHP...I love fine wood grips but I suspect they would not look good on this pistol (3 different colors)...Has anyone put wood grips on their Practical?...I would love to see a picture....
Old March 8, 2001, 11:05 PM   #2

Let me be the first one to not answer the question you asked. I have hated rubber grips for over 20 years. I tried them when I bought my first handgun or two so you can't say I didn't try. When I bought a new handgun, the first thing I did was order a set of the best looking aftermarket wood grips I could find, preferably smooth. A few months ago, I bought a Hi-Power Practical and had the same reaction you did, I couldn't wait until I took them off, until I picked up the gun and held it. It felt absolutely perfect. I never in my life felt a handgun that felt that way in my hand. I have since bought a packmeyers (sp) for my AIM FN Hi-Power and couldn't be happier. I have a HI-Power, Standard Model with beautiful blue and adjustable sights. On that one, I couldn't overcome my prejudice and put a set of Walnut Hogue's on it for the sheer beauty.
From behind each fence and farmyard wall,
Chasing the redcoats down the lane,
Then crossing the fields to emerge again
Under the trees at the turn of the road,
And only pausing to fire and load.
Old March 9, 2001, 02:06 AM   #3
Hal

Unfortunatly, I can't post a picture at the moment, and even if I did it wouldn't do them justice, but I put a set of Speigle Ebony wood grips on my Practcal. The black of the Ebony blends well with the slide.
Old March 9, 2001, 02:17 AM   #4
skevlar

Echo the Craig Spegel grips! There have been many photos of same on http://www.1911forum.com and I believe http://www.gunspot.com FWIW, when bought mine for both 1911 & BHP Craig was recomending his Malagassy {sic} Rosewood over Cocobolo as it does not darken with age like C/B. It has sort of a straw color to it with nice contrasting darker stripes. See also Kurt Wickmann's site for Billy Keen's excellent BHP photos of similar Spegel grips @ http://www.kwgw.com
Old March 9, 2001, 02:29 AM   #5
Hal

http://www.sarpedon.com/handguns/bhp.htm

This isn't mine, but it gives you an idea of what Spegle grips can do to a practical.
Old March 9, 2001, 04:18 AM   #6
Ala Dan
Member in memoriam

Greeting's All:

I know that I'm probably going against the grain here, but
I believe that any combination of wood grips detract from the beauty of the BHP Practical. Just seems like this is the
one gun made for a set of Pachmayr's. I purchased a BHP
Practical NIB im October of 98 and she still wears all original equipment; including Pachmayr's.

Best Wishes,
Ala Dan, N.R.A. Life Member

Old March 9, 2001, 08:25 AM   #7
cobraman

Navidrex Micarta Thin Grips. That what i put on my Chrome BHP to replace the Pachmayer's. They are Black and Super thin. Pachmayers may keep the mags from dropping free.
Old March 9, 2001, 09:56 AM   #8
Bartholomew Roberts

Here are some good alternatives to the Pachmayr grips for the Hi-Power:

Hogue's black rubber monogrip: $30 - my favorite grip for the Hi-Power but thicker than the others I am listing and the rubber is grabby on cover garments. Still much thinner than the Pachmayrs or any of the stock grips.

Spegel's darker-black, wood grips: Probably $55-80. Ultra-thin, stylish and the checkering will help anchor the gun well.

Navridex black micarta grips: $45-50, checkering isn't quite as sharp as Spegel's but otherwise very similar. A hair bit thinner maybe.

Uncle Mike's black checkered rubber: $20-40, this is a black, checkered rubber copy of the Spegel grips and except for being made out of black rubber is pretty close to them. Also a little thicker than the Spegel's.

Old March 9, 2001, 10:24 AM   #9
Intel6

I have a 9mm Pratical and the first thing I did was to put a different of grips on it. Because of the two tone look I got a set of the Navirdex slim full checkerd Ebony grips. They feel great and look very nice on the silver frame.

Here is a pic of the Pratical with them installed on it. This also happens to have my .41 AE kit installed that has a 6" barrel.

Old March 9, 2001, 02:21 PM   #10
kingknives

I agree about the Pachmayr grips detracting from the ergonomics. A nice pair of Spegel Cocobola grips is the way to go. Here's the a pic with Browning and Cocobola grips and a 1911 with Kingwood grips.
Old March 9, 2001, 08:08 PM   #11
CJO

Great responses folks...Thanks to all of you....444 you make a good point..I've never even fired a Hi Power and will wait till I do before I pass judgement on the Pacs...I was wrong about the tri-tone scheme using wood grips...Really beautiful pistols Kingknives and Intel6...Another thing; the hammer seems really close to the web of my little hand..Hope I don't get bitten because I'm used to the high thumb hold on my 1911's....Do navidrex and Spegel have web sites?....I agree with you Ala Dan on the wood grips, such an elegant instrument almost demands them...Hard to imagine a plastic violin...By the way I do a little squirrel hunting every fall in Barbour WMA...
Old March 11, 2001, 10:26 AM   #12
VIEJO

CJO,
Navidrex grips come from Brownells.com and do not have their own website. I just got two pairs for both my Hi-Powers and they are FINE! These are the thinnest grips I've seen/tried for the HP's and to my thinking, well worth the fifty bucks.
It helps that they fit my hands perfectly. With these grips, the circumference of the HP grip frame is exactly the same as my Springfield 1911 with Hogue smooth rosewood grips.
Good shooting.

Viejo
Old March 11, 2001, 05:32 PM   #13
Shawn Dodson

Neoprene Pacmayer grips on a BHP feel custom molded to my hands. The fit and feel are nothing short of fabulous (for me, personally).
Old March 12, 2001, 07:04 AM   #14
Tom B

I have a homemade BHP Practical. It started life as a regular blued BHP but I had finish problems so I had the frame hard chromed and installed pach grips. It is the most accurate handgun I own.
Old March 12, 2001, 09:51 AM   #15
Bartholomew Roberts

CJO - the HiPower featured on the home page of http://www.fnhipower.com sports a set of Navridex grips.
Old March 14, 2001, 09:52 AM   #16
highpower

Wood grips

A valid point, nothing makes a p-35 look so sleek and fine as a nice pair of wood grips.Unfortunately, I myself have not found a pair that provided an unforgiveing hold.Such as during stressfire, in which I believe Pacs, where designed for.My only problem with Pacs, is that medallion on the new models.I found Hougue's to be even more sticky when under stessfire, both are good choices,if your BHP is protecting your life. MOLON LABE!