The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old February 21, 2013, 08:55 PM   #1
camosteve243

AR Lower seeking nice well rounded Upper

Hello all, It's been awhile but I'm back to the forum. I'll try to keep it short

I put together a lower and now it is in need of an upper.

Looking at them all, I've had my eyes on a 16" Bull Barrel for some time now.
A few different choices to go with thou. CMMG, DPMS, RRA just to name a few

Wanted to get some advice on some brands out there. Pros and Cons, good and bad. That kind of thing. Post some pictures if you can, would love to see those Bulls!

Thanks

Steve~
Old February 21, 2013, 09:09 PM   #2
bbamericanb

There's lots of options but good luck finding anything in stock.
Old February 21, 2013, 09:19 PM   #3
camosteve243

Taking a trip in March to the Columbus gun show to see what I can find...
Old February 21, 2013, 09:30 PM   #4
Auto426

What do you plan on doing with the rifle?
Old February 21, 2013, 09:37 PM   #5
camosteve243

A little bit of everything really, but mostly plinking
Old February 21, 2013, 09:40 PM   #6
JustinBiscuit

Build you own. Its really very simple and in todays climate can be less expensive. If you look around you can find all the parts you need for cheap.

BCG are a problem right now, however hoping that clears up soon...
Old February 21, 2013, 09:46 PM   #7
RonR6

Get yourself a subscription to Shotgun News. Alot of AR stuff may be out of stock but you can get some pricing and ideas on what is all out there. Eventually what you want will be back in and hopefully the prices will settle down a bit.
Old February 22, 2013, 01:07 PM   #8
TacticalDefense1911

If you can hold off buying something it would behoove you to do so since prices are through the roof right now. A 16" barrel is a good general purpose length. Any reason you want a "bull barrel"? A 16", GI pattern barrel makes for a good general purpose carbine. Take a look at PSA; I would consider them to be a better quality upper then CMMG, DPMS or RRA and they will be in the same price range. If you do end up going with a lower end upper at least make sure to run a quality bcg like a BCM, Daniel Defense, Colt or even a PSA. All these companies adhere to mil-spec materials and processes when making their bolts while lower end companies do not.
Old February 22, 2013, 03:03 PM   #9
Auto426

Quote:
A little bit of everything really, but mostly plinking
With that in mind, your best bet is to look for a 16" barreled upper with either a carbine or midlength gas system. I'd recommend a flat top upper and a standard F marked front sight blade just to keep things simple and cheap. A standard government profile chrome lined barrel will work just fine, no need to go looking for a heavy bull barrel. A simple hand guard like a Magpul MOE is cheap and will allow you to mount just about anything that would be considered useful.
Old February 22, 2013, 03:08 PM   #10
Skans

I'd get an upper to match whatever lower receiver you used. I'm not big on mismatched upper/lower configurations.
Old February 23, 2013, 11:41 AM   #11
camosteve243

Tactical Defense 1911,

I'm trying to hold out but I really want to get this thing started and yes prices are sky high. The last gun show I went to AK's were going for 900-1100

Being a Noob to AR's I figured a 16" barrel would be a good place to start. The main reason I'm interested in the bull barrel is (correct me if I'm wrong) they hold up longer? The bull barrel kind of jumped out and for lack of a better term, was easy on the eyes.

I know a few guys that have um and love um for hunting coyotes.

Auto426,

I agree about going with the middy gas system. I'll have to check out those hand guards. What's your recommendation on chambers? I was thinking about going with the Wylde.
Old February 23, 2013, 03:23 PM   #12
Auto426

Quote:
Being a Noob to AR's I figured a 16" barrel would be a good place to start. The main reason I'm interested in the bull barrel is (correct me if I'm wrong) they hold up longer? The bull barrel kind of jumped out and for lack of a better term, was easy on the eyes.
If you want the mot life out of your barrel, then get one that's chrome lined. The chrome lining is harder than the steel the barrel is made out of, and it will greatly extend the life of a barrel. The thickness or contour of the barrel doesn't determine it's life. Thicker barrels help dissipate heat and are good for bench rest type shooters who are trying to squeeze absolute accuracy out their guns, since groups start to open as a barrel heats up.

One other thing to consider is that sticking a heavy bull barrel out front is going to throw off the balance of the rifle, making it front heavy. A standard government profile barrel gives an AR a nice balance point right around the front of the magwell, which is what most shooters prefer.

Quote:
Auto426,

I agree about going with the middy gas system. I'll have to check out those hand guards. What's your recommendation on chambers? I was thinking about going with the Wylde.
I'd stick with a standard 5.56 chamber. Wylde chambers work well with unlined stainless match barrels for shooting small groups in paper, but on a carbine that's meant to be more of a general purpose rifle, a standard government profile 1/7 chrome lined barrel is the best bet. It will allow you to shoot the most common and least expensive types of 5.56 ammo and will give you accuracy that's plenty good enough for its intended use.
Old February 23, 2013, 08:36 PM   #13
Mobuck

I feel a 16" bull is the least useful of any options. That was the configuration of the first AR I ever owned(still have it but haven't shot it for years). A 16" Hbar(heavy contour under the handguard) allows better balance with good accuracy potential w/o becoming obnoxious to carry. The lighter contours heat up quickly and accuracy is more likely to suffer from variances in handguard pressure. I have seen some M4 contours that showed excellent accuracy for 2-3 shots if consistent front support is provided.
The 16" Hbar is what I choose for a carrying carbine for winter coyote hunting.
Old February 23, 2013, 08:46 PM   #14
camosteve243

Thanks for the info guys, Sooo much to read up on
Old February 28, 2013, 03:33 PM   #15
AGENT TIKKI

check this out....

http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f...s-guide-59600/

a bull barrel is great, but heavy. Unless you are trying to get teeny tiny cloverleafs, I thnk they are way too heavy.

I personally like LW barrels, great accuracy, for under 300 yard applications. They don't like mag dumps or full auto shooting, but in this day and age, that kind or shooting is way to rich for my blood. Ive taken a few carbine courses, mostely 50 yards and under shooting, and they hold up well, faster on target, faster transistions, and at the end of the day, my arms thank me. With heavy breathing under stress, a pound at the end of the barrel makes it that much longer to get and stay on target.