The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old December 28, 2012, 02:23 PM   #1
bjones870

Stuck between two optics... Opinions please

I'm stuck between an eotech, with NV, or a trijicon reflex sight. I like the Trijcon doesn't take batteries. But I heard that sometimes they have problems seeing the reticle. Where as the eotech has adjustable brightness settings, but the batteries might die. I have roughly a $600 budget. I like theses two. What do you think?

To be ready, mentally and physically for what ever scenario arises, provides the best sleep at night I've ever gotten.
Old December 28, 2012, 02:50 PM   #2
RamItOne

Love my trijicon reflex with the arms quick detach. Never an issue seeing the reticle

Eotechs always look fuzzy

https://petitions.whitehouse.gov/pet...rtant/DJyvnHz0
Old December 28, 2012, 02:55 PM   #3
bjones870

Have you had any problems cowitnessing? With or without that particular mount ?

To be ready, mentally and physically for what ever scenario arises, provides the best sleep at night I've ever gotten.
Old December 28, 2012, 06:08 PM   #4
RamItOne

Cowitness

No issues
Standard fixed front and magpul flip up

Highly recommend the mount, return to zero, quick detach, no screws. It's pricey, over $100 for a small block of metal

http://www.bing.com/shopping/trijico...ount&FORM=HURE

Old December 30, 2012, 04:33 PM   #5
Jo6pak

The only issue with the reticle on my Trijicon reflex occurs when looking out of a dark area into bright sunlight. (Imagine looking from inside a shack out into bright daylight.)
The fibre optics cannot collect enough light to illuminate the reticle bright enough to counteract the bright sunlight outside. I have the smaller/older version of the Trijicon

That is a pretty specific concern, I agree.
And that being said, I still prefer the Trijicon to an Eotech.
Old December 30, 2012, 11:04 PM   #6
Ridge_Runner_5

Might I suggest?

http://www.aimsurplus.com/product.as...MOA&groupid=84
Old December 30, 2012, 11:35 PM   #7
RamItOne

^^^^^^

Personally I prefer a larger diameter optic. I feel it makes two eye shooting feel more natural. I can see through it very easily, having a larger field of view within the optic, the housing is less distracting.

Old December 31, 2012, 12:36 AM   #8
Ridge_Runner_5

I was concerned about that as well before I bought mine. It feels quite natural. It's a smaller objective, but a narrow body around it allows for BAC shooting just as well. Plus, thousands of hours of battery life, versus the couple hundred you'd get from an EOTech.
Old December 31, 2012, 02:28 PM   #9
bjones870

I do like the aimpoints. They just seem to have a very small field of view, and the battery compartment and adjustments seem to make seeing around the target a little harder. I do like Aimoint, but I want to see my target and the area around it a little better. I haven't looked through the Micro though. But field of view was why I liked the Eotech and that particular trijicon. I'd go ACOG any day, but the field of view is super small in anything but the 4x32.

Old December 31, 2012, 06:56 PM   #10
5whiskey

I've never used an EOTech. I've used the Reflex, ACOG, Aimpoint, and a couple of others.

All I currently have is a Reflex for a dot sight. The reticle issue CAN be an issue, as stated, when you're in a dark area aiming into a well light area. IMHO, this is mitigated by cowitnessing the iron sights. It works well with a weapon light in total dark.

As for the size of the housing, I thought it looked small myself when I first started using them. Never really noticed it after the first time shooting with it.
Old January 1, 2013, 11:19 AM   #11
cryogenic419

I have the Eotech on one of my rifles and it works great with BUIS. I can go out on super sunny days without issues. I don't really worry about battery life as I change them out every 6 months anyways but I can see some not wanting to deal with all that.
Old January 1, 2013, 08:45 PM   #12
Ridge_Runner_5

I've used EOTechs, Aimpoints, ACOGs, and the T-1 was my favorite 1x optic.