The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old March 27, 2009, 11:21 AM   #1
Winchester 7mm

Building my Reloading Room

I have begun to build a room for something I have wanted to do most of my life but never made the effort to do it. I had a woodshop in the basement of our home and due to the mess it created, and the dust it spread throughout the home, I decided to subdivide the space into the ultimate man cave. The center section that you see (in the first pic) will be home to a regulation pool table. The section to the right that you cannot see is a condensed woodshop, mostly for turning pens and hand tool work. The wall you are looking at in the first pic is the new reloading room.

This bench is going to be for cleaning up the brass, and gun cleaning and maintenance.

And here is the reloading area.

Storage for die sets and primers

Storage for Powder

I still need to add more lights, storage shelves, paint the space, and maybe get some hunting pics or gun pics up on the wall. Any suggestions, or criticism, would be welcome, as I want to make the best use of this space.

Thanks!
Old March 27, 2009, 11:30 AM   #2
45Marlin carbine

can't criticize that set-up. looks to me as if you nailed it.
Old March 27, 2009, 12:18 PM   #3
Radar3006

always wanted a reloading room but with 4 daughters wanting their own bedroom my reloading room was always at the bottom of the list....anyway it looks nice all I can say be sure to put a lock on the door....
Old March 27, 2009, 12:40 PM   #4
Winchester 7mm

There will be a lock on the door as soon as I get everything painted. That is this afternoon's project.

Thanks for the kind words!
Old March 27, 2009, 04:02 PM   #5
dc.fireman

Lookin sweet!
Old March 27, 2009, 04:12 PM   #6
ShootingNut

Win,
I don't see the 1" Steel lined wall panels?
Good job man, I have been a custom home builder now for over 40 years, and you put my home projects to shame.
Good Luck!
SN
Old March 27, 2009, 06:24 PM   #7
remshooter

Nice! Very nice.
Old March 27, 2009, 08:58 PM   #8
BIGR

Great set up.
Old March 27, 2009, 09:44 PM   #9
abber

Where's the target hanger and bullet trap?
Old March 28, 2009, 05:39 AM   #10
VaFisher

Looks very nice but you got me thinking. If you had a problem with saw dust before you will have to deel with this being in the same room and it could get very agravating with so of your precision items.
Old March 28, 2009, 05:51 AM   #11
LtDan

very nice. great work.
Old March 28, 2009, 08:21 AM   #12
Winchester 7mm

VaFisher,

I had a 20" planer, 36" belt sander and other tools that caused all the dust issues. They are all gone now. The wood shop that remains is strictly for turning pens. And small items that will be made with hand tools. Not much dust is generated from that. And it's at the opposite end of the basement from the reloading room in it's own room, so dust should no longer be an issue.

Thanks for all the kind comments!
Old March 28, 2009, 09:14 AM   #13
hivel37

Everything is too organized, neat, and clean!!!!!!!

How can you find anything???

Very nice. Good work!
Old March 28, 2009, 06:31 PM   #14
landcruzr

very nice room- I am also in the process of building my room- and have a similar thread somewhere here on the forum- there were alot of good suggestions left in my thread- take a look through and pick out what you like- their free! LOL
Old March 28, 2009, 11:51 PM   #15
rosco.217

Awesome set up. I look forward to being able to build my own man cave in the future. Thanks to all of the pictures I am getting some pretty good ideas.
Old April 2, 2009, 05:07 PM   #16
James R. Burke

Very nice job/set up. You wont need it if you have a locked door, but I have a cupboard locked for the primers, and one for the powder. But like I said if you have a locked door you wont need it. Great Job!!!!!!!!
Old April 11, 2009, 08:42 AM   #17
Winchester 7mm

Been Updating the Reloading Room

I have been working at fixing up my room after the initial set up

This is outside the reloading room

This is the general work area for reading, research, forum activity, and general lounging

This is the storage rack for casings that are ready to be reloaded.

This is the gun cleaning area. The drawer on this bench has all the cleaning brushes, rods, etc... I forgot I even had this bench, it was in pieces in the laundry room.

This is my shotgun reloader on it's own little desk. I had to put it on this desk away from the main reloading bench so I could get the cabinet doors open

And this is the main reloading bench. Sorry about the exposure. It is really bright in that corner of the room, I don't know why it came out so dark in the picture. The upper cabinets were donated for some work I did for a friend. They are a nice addition

It is still a work in progress.
Old April 11, 2009, 09:38 AM   #18
webby4x4

What would you have done differently?

Looking very sweet Winchester!!! Nicely done indeed.

I'm curious - after you finished all of this, what did you find that you would have done differently? Would you have changed your layout? Would you have done something different regarding storage, or "workflow"?

I have a rather large shop (3.5 car garage) with two large work benches that I use. I haven't created a workflow yet (that's probably next), so I'd be interested in finding out what you would have done differently.

thanks,
Rick
Old April 11, 2009, 11:29 AM   #19
Winchester 7mm

Webby,

Actually, I am still in the learning stages. I have wanted to get into reloading most of my adult life, but I thought it was something too complicated for me. Then.........I saw a Youtube video on reloading, and the rest as they say, is History.

The only thing I would have done differently if I had it to do all over again is I would have laid out the space to include a walk in closet for my Guns and finished ammo. Other than that, I am happy with the space. It is very relaxing in there, and I enjoy the solitude.

Thanks for the kind comments!
John
Old April 14, 2009, 09:05 PM   #20
tunein

Nice looking set up. I just got mine about completed, but still adding little things here and there. I am still looking for some used cabinets myself, but if I can't find them, then I am planning on putting a closet/shelf unit in with room for my long guns as well as shelves for my hand guns. This will be lockable as well as the room (already lockable), so it will be double protected from intrusion. (wife, kids and any unwanted entrants.