The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old October 12, 2005, 12:29 AM   #1
Homer

Rem 870 Express Riot 12/18 7-sht Od

Hello,

This is my first post which coincides with my first shotgun (see title).

I picked it up from a dealer for $329.99.

I fired it, for the first time, on Saturday, after a full breakdown and cleaning, as per posts read on this forum. It was good to get the factory gunk out and feel one with the weapon by understanding it's parts and their relationships to one another. I used CRC non-chlorine brake cleaner followed by CLP Break Free.

At a rifle range, I put 45 slugs through it, and then 200+ rounds of bird shot thinking this would be the best way to get a good feel of the 870. Although, I hadn't planned on the slugs at first, but having started at the range with an M1 .30 cal carbine, the slugs just followed suit (and range rules) - I was too lazy and late to leave, initially. I had wanted to start with the bird shot. BTW, the bird shot felt like nothing after feeling those first 45 rounds of slug.

At 50 yards with a bead sight, I think I did okay with a few bullseye's and most shots on the target. Although, the kick was a little more than I had expected and felt it in my shoulder over the last few days. I've since bought a smooth bore 20" slug barrel with rifle sights and wood stocks with the R1 recoil pad. So, I think my accuracy will improve. And, a rifled barrel for Sabot slugs is, now, not out of the question.

My initial intention for this weapon was/is for Home Defense, and I have (what I think) a good setup for HD. But, I can't deny the amazing "modular" setups available for the Remington 870. Outside of the reciever alone, what you can play with is only limited by the suppliers - and everything seems to have been covered. And, yes, I have done exhaustive internet searches on the Remington 870.

As far as the OD "coating" on my 870, I am surprised that it chips so easily. I'm not sure if it's the same Armory Coat that Wilson offers on their Scatterguns, but I'm disappointed that what Remington uses for an OD coating chips so easily. Perhaps, it's a novelty, but seeing my barrel chip, I'm ultra-sensitive to handling my receiver - caveat emptor!!!