The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > NFA Guns and Gear

Old January 19, 2000, 04:55 AM   #1
Silicon

So, January in the jungle aint any different from any other month of the year... Bugs, snakes & spiders everywhere.. oh well.. Now, to the point. I'm looking to buy a whole new (13 pieces) arsenal. I've been thinking of going for a few kalashnikovs, but that's a jungle in itself.. there are soo many models.. The problem is that if i went with those, we'd have to live mainly on salvaged ammo, since our employer want us to go with 5.56 or 7.62.. but since we're in.. well... an environment that's more hostile to our tools than anything i've seen so far, russian endurability goes a long way.. If there's any more of us dirteaters out there, what would you choose? It's not an easy decision...
Old January 19, 2000, 09:50 AM   #2
fal308
Staff Alumnus

The AK series is hard to beat in most any scenario. Logistics and maintenance are not usually much of a problem most anywhere. They can be fixed practically with a file, baling wire and chewing gum. Also you usually aren't singled out for your sound signature. Then again there's always a deal somewhere on AKs if finances aren't willing.
If these aren't considerations have you looked at Sigs or possibly the new-style FALs being put out nowadays? FAL logistics supposedly isn't too bad either with over 90 countries having adopted it at one time or another. DSA www.dsarms.com makes an 11" barrelled FA that might be worth looking into. Plus with a FAL you get to keep the 7.62 though you have the ammo to lug with it .
Old January 19, 2000, 05:47 PM   #3
Jeff White

Don't pass up the M16 series of 5.56mm weapons based on old predjudices. On a deployment for training in Honduras in 1990 we worked with a Honduran Battalion that had very old beat up M16A1s. They didn't look the best, but they still worked. The most that was wrong with them was cosmetic. Some had broken springs on the dust cover (and it flopped around) of the dust covers were missing entirely (lost the little half moon clip that held the hinge rod in place.

They didn't look the best, but just like the "legendary" AK they fired every time.

I've carried the M16 for 25 years in every environment from the arctic to the desert and I can say that it has received a lot of undeserved bad press when comes to reliability. A very small amount of daily maintenance will keep them functioning fine.

Parts, magazines etc are available throughout most of the world just like with the AK and you don't have to hump that heavy 7.62 ammo.

Jeff
Old January 19, 2000, 08:59 PM   #4
nyeti

Galil SAR-best AK going, uses 5.56, available down south, and very easy to move with. They are a little heavy, but they work great.