The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old January 11, 2016, 04:24 PM   #1
briandg

9mm remington brass

has anyone seen a really terrible problem with quality? over the past year, it seems, not only in 9 but also 380, remington brass has looked terrible. rims are sloppy and primer pockets seem messy. headstamps are unreadable. What's going on? is it just my location, or is everyone seeinbg some of this?
Old January 11, 2016, 04:28 PM   #2
William T. Watts

I use only W-W in pistol, only R-P for rifle, part of the problem may be the demand for pistol ammunition, they can't produce enough and quality may suffer.. William
Old January 11, 2016, 05:31 PM   #3
briandg

I generally only used rem for anything. what I'm seeing now is because I bought two handguns last year, a 9 and a 380. I have bought factory ammo, and found it to be less than perfect. As I collect my own fired brass, let's be serious, if i get on my knees, I collect everything, and recycle the metals, whether brass or aluminum. Plenty of once fired brass being left on the grounds these days, and it seems that almost all of the RP stamps look like they've been fired a dozen times, and in many cases, the empty boxes are still laying on the ground.

its amazing to see it all laying around. I shoot a 380 that I load, and just walking around trying to locate it, I wind up with hundreds of rounds of 9 and 40, and I clean the stuff up and bag it up. everything else just goes in the scrap buckets. I only keep the big three in perfect condition, I take the walmart grade and clean it up to give away. Some people still want used brass. I still find a lot of stuff that goes straight into the recycle bin.