The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > Law and Civil Rights

Old August 28, 2012, 03:52 PM   #1
mete

Marking Firing Pins

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2012...t-to-relocate/

Same old nonsense that won't work and will result in more companies leaving the state . They just never learn !

MD had the rifling info stored and after a serious study found it did nothing to lower crime.
Marked powder would be the same of course.

Recently Senator Schumer complained about people leaving NY state because of high taxes-- and yet he voted for every tax raising bill !
Old August 28, 2012, 04:39 PM   #2
MagicAnimal

Why do I have a hard time imagining ANY progressive (or whatever they're calling themselves this week) pol even considering the loss of jobs as an impediment to this?

And why do I NOT have a hard time imagining them turning this into a "see, I drove the evil gun makers from OUR state!" talking point?
Old August 28, 2012, 04:53 PM   #3
NJgunowner

Actually this crap will eventually get settled in the courts most likely. While I think the gun manufacturers will ultimately lose as it doesn't prevent them from making guns, it'll cost the state millions to defend the law against organizations like the NRA.

Frankly I'm surprised these companies didn't pack up shop and move ages ago. Guess the cost is what prevented it up to this point.
Old August 28, 2012, 05:24 PM   #4
steveno

is Remington a union or non-union shop? if it is union I think the union will put a lot pressure on epople if they see their jobs going down the tube.
Old August 28, 2012, 05:48 PM   #5
KyJim

If it ever becomes law in those states, I can see a cottage industry in after-market firing pins.
Old August 28, 2012, 07:48 PM   #6
Kreyzhorse

Quote:
If it ever becomes law in those states, I can see a cottage industry in after-market firing pins.
Agreed. Firing pins may break and or wear out much more quickly than normal due to the serial number engraving process causing micro fractures in the metal's structure.....
Old August 28, 2012, 09:11 PM   #7
NJgunowner

Quote:
Agreed. Firing pins may break and or wear out much more quickly than normal due to the serial number engraving process causing micro fractures in the metal's structure.....
Or filing...

But I'm sure they'll make it illegal in those states to modify the firing pins.
Old August 28, 2012, 09:11 PM   #8
ltc444

Sounds like someone has developed a new marketing strategy for a low application technology.
Old August 28, 2012, 11:59 PM   #9
mete

Part of Remington has already left NY a few years back. But that has no effect on the politicians.

BTW I never understood why Kimber moved to NY .There are better places.
Old August 29, 2012, 03:54 PM   #10
Stressfire

Quote:
But I'm sure they'll make it illegal in those states to modify the firing pins.
And what, make it unlawful to replace a broken one?
Old August 29, 2012, 04:02 PM   #11
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

This law comes up all the time in NY. It always gets neutered by a pro-gun group. They add amendments that say things like modified guns shall not be considered evidence of tampering and such. I don't see where it says this has actually passed and have always considered that it doesn't really have a chance. I don't think it's even made it past committee previously.
Old August 29, 2012, 04:10 PM   #12
44 AMP
Staff

not sure if its in the public domain yet, but when these microstamping bills were originally introduced around the country, the microstamping technology was under patent, and all belonged to ONE COMPANY!

Now, there is very little that is better for your business than to have the government pass a law that other manufacturers and purchasers MUST buy & use YOUR PATENTED product!

I think if you do a little looking you would find some connections between the people pushing these laws and the people who own the technology.

Follow the money.
Old August 30, 2012, 07:04 AM   #13
Armorer-at-Law

Quote:
I think if you do a little looking you would find some connections between the people pushing these laws and the people who own the technology.
The company that owns the patens has very openly been pushing this legislation.

Quote:
Now, there is very little that is better for your business than to have the government pass a law that other manufacturers and purchasers MUST buy & use YOUR PATENTED product!
The company has offered to release the patents on the use of the marked firing pins. However, there is more to the microengraving technology that may not be in the public domain, as well as the machines that read the marking that would have to be purchased by the states/feds.
Old August 30, 2012, 03:07 PM   #14
FrankenMauser

Several studies have been done on the viability of micro-serial engraving, barcoding, or stamping on various firearm parts.

One of my favorites was done by some folks at the University of California. (The study was performed in favor of micro-serial engraving, but showed that it's a dead-end with most designs.)
The Study.
The Appendices. (The study isn't as useful without the appendices.)

One of the most important statements in there; is that in a blind test, the micro-stamped shell casings had an average of 3 completely different numerical sequences identified by the subjects for each casing. In nearly all of those cases, those sequences differed from the sequences identified by the study's authors, as well. So, each, individual casing had up to 5 different numerical sequences identified from the impression that was left... and most were completely wrong.
Old August 31, 2012, 08:01 AM   #15
Al Norris
Moderator Emeritus

What was truly interesting about that study, was that it turned the police around and they were against the tech, but the CA legislature passed it anyway!

Luckily, the NRA was successful in their lobbying efforts and got a rider attached to the bill. The law will only take effect if the technology is totally unencumbered by patents.

So far, it is a law that can't be used, as the tech is still encumbered.
Old August 31, 2012, 04:54 PM   #16
markj

I was watching the ncis show? I think thats right, they were looking at a shell casing, gal with pig tails says they can ID the gun thru the serial number embedded in the firing pin, leaves a ID on the primer.......
Old September 1, 2012, 09:23 PM   #17
Armorer-at-Law

Quote:
gal with pig tails says they can ID the gun thru the serial number embedded in the firing pin, leaves a ID on the primer.......
Art imitating fantasy.
Old September 2, 2012, 11:07 AM   #18
drcook

Quote:
I was watching the ncis show? I think thats right, they were looking at a shell casing, gal with pig tails says they can ID the gun thru the serial number embedded in the firing pin, leaves a ID on the primer.......
I would suspect that the majority of Hollywood writers don't have much of a clue about anything mechanical/real world, whether it be firearm related, cars etc.

They are always identifying what kind of car/truck based upon tread pattern, as if someone doesn't wear out/change/buy different tires. How many of us bring a new vehicle home and immediately get rid of the tires let out to the lowest bidder for a set of better ones ?

They see something and make the assumption that it applies to all.

AND If they do know, they also know that a minimum of 95% of the people in this country are dumb-a**es anymore and don't know the good end from the dangerous end of a horse, let alone a gun and as such won't know any better and since they saw it on TV, believe it.