The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old November 22, 2000, 11:33 AM   #1
ERRainman

With all this talk about first deer, backstraps, chops, roasts, etc. I was wondering if any of you guys have some good recipes.

My favorite is to take a neck roast a leave it in the crock pot until it just falls apart and then mince it up and use our favorite BBQ sauce on it.

Old November 22, 2000, 09:21 PM   #2
Kingcreek

Bambi Stroganoff is my favorite. Served over noodles or wild rice and a glass of good red wine.
Old November 22, 2000, 09:42 PM   #3
animal

My favorite(but a real pain in the butt) :
Remove backbone from tenderloin but leave ribs (about 5" long) attached. Make sure ALL the fat is removed. Remove as much of the membranes as you can.

Sprinkle Adolf's tenderizer all over it. Stab it with a fork until your arm gets tired. Marinade overnight in a mixture of:
1/4 cup crushed garlic
1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
1/3 cup soy sauce
1/2 cup chopped green onions
1/4 cup olive oil
parsley

Next day: pull it out of the marinade, roll it in either honey or REAL maple syrup. Coat it with crushed black pepper and dust it with garlic powder. Put it in the smoker and keep it on medium heat for about 4-6 hours. I use green hickory for my smokin' wood. The honey (or syrup) will caramelize, seal the meat, and keep it juicy. Cut between the bones for some real pretty chops.
Old November 23, 2000, 05:52 AM   #4
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

Make a marinade in advance, 4 parts soy sauce to one part Worchestershire sauce, add a clove or two of minced garlic and let set for 30 minutes. Score chops and steaks lightly, brush with the marinade,and grill until no more done than medium.

Or, try this.....

Take steaks or chops and moisten,dredge in seasoned flour( all purpose flour, Old Bay Seasoning and Kosher salt). Melt butter in a skillet and add a skosh of olive oil to keep the butter from burning. Saute, not fry the chops, until they brown on the outside, then add just a little butter, and add some minced garlic.As soon as the garlic turns translucent, drench with cooking sherry and remove from the heat. Place venison on a heated platter, and pour the liquid over them.

Serve immediately, with a rice or potato side and a green salad. There will be no leftovers....
Old November 23, 2000, 07:27 PM   #5
Don Gwinn
Staff Emeritus

I am a Gwinn. I do not cook; I FRY. Always.

In my family, we generally just cut the steaks thin, bread them by dipping them in pancake mix (just the dry powder) and then pan frying them in the lightest oil you can find. Damn, that's good--but keep in mind that this is central Illinois, farm-fed deer that gorges on corn and soybeans most of the year.

We don't get very fancy. That BBQ sounds good, though.
Old November 23, 2000, 09:37 PM   #6
swampgator

Do a search on any search engine for "wild game recipes", you'll be surprised as to how many come up. I've tried a few new one's like that lately.

The last venison I cooked, I used a recipe from a QDMA magazine.

Gator
Old November 25, 2000, 10:43 AM   #7
Coolray

The best Venision recipe it Shoot an Antelope!!!! if after you have tasted Antelope and you still want Deer try a finger steak method,dip the meat in an Egg mixture then into seasoned bread crumbs or cracker crums and drop then into a fryer. Very Good.
Old November 26, 2000, 02:41 PM   #8
blackamos

I like to use
1 part butter
1 part honey
1 part soy sause
Let them sit over night and BBQ them.
Old November 26, 2000, 09:17 PM   #9
OkieGentleman

Go see if you can find a German cookbook that has been translated into English or Texican if you are from Texas. (Sorry guys I could not help myself)
In Germany you can buy venison and wild game at the market or even on the menu at lots of the better restaurants. So the Northern Scandivanians and the Northern Europeans have lots of super time tested recipes for wild game, from rabbit through wild boar and venison. If you have an old style German restaurant close by, go by and kiss up to the cook and see what recipes you can come away with.
Do something with it besides BBQ. No flames I love BBQ, but three times a day is a bit much.
Old November 27, 2000, 06:27 PM   #10
jbgood

No offense taken by this Texican, Okie Gentleman. I've often said that English is a second language for me, anyway. I speak fluent Texan, passable English, and some Spanish. Haven't tried Okie. Is it hard to learn?!?
Old November 27, 2000, 08:33 PM   #11
CD1

Venison Wellington. The best tenderloin and backstrap recipe Ive ever had. My mother in law has the recipe so I cant post the specifics but just find a beef wellington recipe and substitute venison. On another note, my father in law was in Switzerland last month and he had venison at one of the inns he stayed in. He said he literally used a fork to cut it, the chef at the hotel said he marinated it for TEN DAYS in red wine. Nothing else. You can bet I'll be trying that this year. Keep the recipes coming guys, I cant copy and paste fast enough!