The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old December 18, 2000, 06:20 PM   #1
mjcitra

On opening day this year (deer) I came back from the woods to my truck parked in a little lot off the side of the road near the land I was hunting. While taking a break and drinking some coffee a few cars went by and waved. So as I'm pondering my next trip back to the woods, a car slows down and I figure its someone going to ask for directions or if Ive seen any deer. Instead this woman rolls down her window and says "I hope you *******s shoot each other and miss the deer." She gives me the finger and drives off. I laughed like hell the rest of the day. I suppose others have had similar experiences.
Old December 18, 2000, 07:23 PM   #2
Field-dressed

Yep, anti's can be some of the rudest and most foul-mouthed people around. I got cursed up and down over hunting at a halloween party I WAS HOSTING, by a friend's new girlfriend. I started getting angry and was ready to ask them to leave when it struck me as being very funny. So instead, I brayed laughter (and beer spittle, I hope) in her face. I shared her idiotic comments with everyone who would listen and my friend took her home before too long. I'm tired of defending my hunting to these ignorant urbanites who can't even have a debate without becoming personal and obscene.
Old December 18, 2000, 07:51 PM   #3
BadMedicine

Just tell people that hunting is your "gateway drug" and you can only hope to someday progress into killing and eating morons like them!! (yeah, I know, it's a *special* kind of SICK, but I get tired of hearing it)
Old December 18, 2000, 08:26 PM   #4
Field-dressed

Badmeds, LMAO! I'd have to wrap 'em bacon...
Old December 18, 2000, 08:40 PM   #5
Sisco

The other day while shopping a lady overheard a friend and I talking about our deer hunts. She said "You really killed one of those poor things?"
I told her I didn't think they were really all that poor, the one I killed made a pretty good living eating my Uncles crops while his buddies were out wrecking peoples cars.
Old December 18, 2000, 09:30 PM   #6
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

I just tell 'em I'm a Natural Food freak. Allergic to stilbestrol; don't need a high cholestrol count. Lean meat is better than fatty meat.

Why's a healthy diet a bad thing?

, Art
Old December 18, 2000, 10:09 PM   #7
CD1

Some people have their heads so far up their @sses that they'll never get it.
Old December 18, 2000, 11:12 PM   #8
Ron Ankeny

Wyoming has some really cool hunter harassment laws. I know a couple of Game and Fish guys who would love to write the loudmouthed jerk a ticket.
Old December 18, 2000, 11:53 PM   #9
dZ

What would Darwin say about insulting well armed people in remote locations?
Old December 19, 2000, 02:06 AM   #10
BadMedicine

Alaska has good laws too. It says that preventing/distrupting/disturbing in the practice of legally taking game is illegal and can be punishible by XXX amount blah blah blah, and has a number to call. Last year while moose hunting we were sitting and watching a lake off of the main road in the afternoon. A couple families with probably 4 kids and two dogs show up and start making noise, getting betwen us and the lake (we were using our guns scopes to glass the oppisite shore) and excetera, making all kinds of noise, and there's no way they didn't know what we were doing. we got up and walked right to the edge of the lake and continued to glass (so that they couldn't get ahead of us,) then the guy started throwing a stick out in the water and haveing his dog go out and fetch it. (I'm thinking, do you love your dog, dumb@SS??) Pretty soon we were getting pissed, and it wasn't likely something woulkd come to the lake now, so I calmy clicked my gun off safe aimed almost at the shoreline of the fireside and let one go. KA-BOOOOM!!! A couple kids screamed, and the guy started cussin, not at us, just in general. They packed up and got out of there, mumbling something about this beach being "too crowded" for them. Gee, ya think??? Maybe you should've just kept on drivin when you saw we were hunting eh??? Man I hate morons!!! We then left too, that place was obviously useless but atleast we weren't the only ones who had our fun spoiled
Old December 19, 2000, 10:31 AM   #11
CD1

dz - Im still laughing at that one.
Old December 19, 2000, 10:40 AM   #12
Snap

BadMed:

If your state does not have laws to stop these people from disturbing your hunt, you could have called the Child Protection Services or whatever it's called there. I'm sure they would have been interested in these clowns bringing thier kids there and putting them in harm's way. =)
Old December 19, 2000, 06:08 PM   #13
Fisher

DZ, sounds like a quick way to clean out the gene pool if you ask me. I always said it could usea little more clorine.
Old December 19, 2000, 11:28 PM   #14
swampgator

We always get bunny-huggers for the "youth hunt". Our response is to treat with kindness. Offer them some of your sliced venison sandwich. Or 'coon kabobs.

These people really p*ss me off. Course there are a lot of people that do that.

Gator