The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old July 19, 2014, 09:59 AM   #1
SaxonPig

Anybody remember White Front?

Maybe 40 years ago my friend bought a pistol there. Then they stopped selling handguns but continued to sell long guns and ammunition. Poking around my ammo locker I found some boxes of 12 gauge shells that still had the WF price stickers on them. They are Winchester field loads and they cost 79 cents for a box of 25.
Old July 19, 2014, 09:40 PM   #2
kilimanjaro

Don't remember White Front, but we used to buy .22LR shells at Sears, Montgomery Wards, Ace Hardware, Coast to Coast stores, Wilshire gas stations, and mom-and-pop stores everywhere. The chain stores had their own brands.
Old July 20, 2014, 07:55 AM   #3
4V50 Gary
Staff

There used to be one in San Francisco. It's been gone for decades.

Seventy-nine cents back then is a lot more money than we have to pay today for a box of shells. A silver dime today is worth $1.50 so seven of them is $9.50. If we consider three silver quarters, each quarter is $3.75 so that's $11.25.
Old July 20, 2014, 09:29 AM   #4
MTT TL

Silver was reduced in coinage in 1965 about fifty years ago, not forty. It was mostly gone by 1974. In 1974 $.79 was worth about $4 in 2014 dollars not $11.25. Some days you can get a box of shells for $5 there. Walmart has taken over the world as the low cost retailer and enjoys competitive advantages that a small unprofitable retail chain forty years ago could not even have even fathomed.
Old July 21, 2014, 05:44 PM   #5
TRX

I remember those in Sacramento in the late 1960s.
Old July 21, 2014, 08:16 PM   #6
Old Stony

I remember one in Vallejo California years back. As I understand it, employee theft took it's toll to the point they closed the stores. I bought a used pistol one time from a gun shop in California owned by a good friend. It came back as stolen when checking it's history with the dept. of justice there. Eventually they traced it back to a White Front employee that had been selling guns, tearing up the paper work and keeping the money. At years end the guns could not be found in their system, so they reported them stolen. I eventually had it returned to me by the authorities.