The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old September 13, 2008, 07:35 PM   #1
Oldwoodsloafer

22 Ammo Carrier

Carrying a 22 rimfire revolver or rifle is not the problem; carrying the ammo is. Hauling around a 50 round cardboard or 100 round plastic box is uncomfortable.
Fishing loose rounds out of a dirty pocket isn't a whole lot better.

Outside of the MTM Case Gard ammo wallet, what else is out there?
Old September 14, 2008, 10:14 PM   #2
22-rimfire

You have speed loaders available. But as far as I'm concerned they are more hassle than 100-round boxes of 22 shells. I would suggest some sort of dediciated bag like a "map case or gas mask bag" for your 22 ammunition. If I'm shooting a lot, I may wear a photographer's vest and carry the ammunition in the pockets (in the boxes). Fishing ammo out of the belt type ammuntion cases is more trouble than it's worth. Perhaps a fanny pack? Perhaps a pouch made for loose pipe tobacco with a zipper top?

I generally don't like loose 22 ammunition in my pants pockets as it gets mixed with dirt. Hence, the vest in which I pay attention to the dirt factor.

I guess my question is how much ammunition do you want to comfortably carry? 100 rounds? 200 rounds? 500 rounds?
Old September 15, 2008, 10:55 AM   #3
Oldwoodsloafer

I'm interested in field ammo carry, say not more than 50 rounds. A hundred or more rounds for blasting at the range isn't the problem.

Many years ago, I bought a silicon block holding 13 pairs of rounds on each of the two long edges. Quiet, clean, compact and fairly handy, but haven't seen one since. I don't know the manufacturer.
Old September 15, 2008, 11:05 AM   #4
hoytinak

While out walking round the farm with the Remington 121I carry a ziplock bag with 50-100 rounds in my pocket, seems to work for me.
Old September 15, 2008, 07:32 PM   #5
Luis Leon

I used a Beeman pellet pouch.

http://www.airgunsus.com/desc/bee7290.html

Its made out of leather fits on my belt and holds 50 rounds easily. It has a stay open top, which is hinged and you it snaps closed tight when you're not accessing the ammo. I've had for many years.

best regards,

Luis Leon
Old September 15, 2008, 08:31 PM   #6
fastforty

Back in the 70's I picked up a couple of neat little .22 dispensers (wish I still had one so I could post a pic). They were plastic, about the size of two boxes of .22's end-to-end. You popped off a long side panel, cocked a spring loaded "pusher" & placed a whole 50 round box into the chamber, removing the cardboard before you snapped the pusher loose & closed the side panel. It had a belt clip & a big thumb wheel- you cupped your hand under it & rotated the wheel and a bullet would drop into your hand. Since I learned to shoot with a single shot Savage, this bullet dispenser was the cat's meow.
Old September 19, 2008, 08:34 PM   #7
Salty1

In the past I used a pouch that was made to carry dog treats and it just had a belt clip, it worked out perfectly. You can get them out at any Petco or Pet Smart store