The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old January 19, 2013, 02:57 PM   #1
C7AR15

Marlin peep sights

I have a Marlin 1895 in 45-70 and I want to remove the scope and
replace it with a peep or ghost ring sight.

I do not want to do any drilling and tapping, just bolt on.

What have you guys tried?? what do you recommend??

PS it is several years old so it is a good one. Has Marlin resolved its
quality control problems??? I heard the new ones have lots of problems!!
Old January 19, 2013, 03:50 PM   #2
AK103K

Im interested to hear this too.

I just picked up a 1895 G, and was thinking of doing the same. I have XS ghost rings on a couple of Winchester Trappers, and a Ruger #3, and like them a lot. Im not sure I like the way they did the Marlins though.

Id also like to swap out the front sight for something a little more blade like. But again, not real hot on the XS type replacements, unless I can utilize the existing ramp. I prefer a lower profile, for both front and rear.
Old January 19, 2013, 05:12 PM   #3
tahunua001

both my pre cerberus 1894 and my brother in laws marlington 1895 have the XS peep sights, the front sight on mine had issues when they mounted it but that was easily rectified...just a pain to deal with, his never had issues, I exploded a tweety bird with the peeps on his the first time I shot it and vaporized a chipmunk with mine the first time I shot it...

...I would say they offer decent accuracy overall.
Old January 19, 2013, 06:27 PM   #4
PetahW

I would recommend Skinner Sights, which makes receiver-top mounted peep sights in two lengths (standard & express) and three materials (brass, and blued carbon or stainless steel).
Andy will also make you a Patridge front sight blade of the proper height, for an additional $15.

http://www.skinnersights.com/1895_sight_4.html

Old January 19, 2013, 08:09 PM   #5
stu925

I put a Williams 5D on my Marlin 336 because I was having a tough time with the factory sights. Love it but it does shoot a bit high, need to change out the front sight to lower point of impact. I'm fairly sure this is the case with most aftermarket sights on the 336 since it seems fairly common with all brands. I have heard good things about the Skinner sights but again I think needing to change out the front sight for a taller one is common.

Stu
Old January 20, 2013, 08:00 AM   #6
dodge

I've put a William's WGRS peep on both of my Marlins. With the 1895 guide gun I didn't need to change out the front sight but for my 30-30 I had to put a taller front sight in. With the 30-30 even with the peep lowered to the lowest point it was still shooting about 7" high at 100 yards. Haven't had a chance to shoot it with the new sight on but hope to pretty quick.
Old January 20, 2013, 08:54 AM   #7
AK103K

For those using the Skinners, is anyone using their "Lo Pro" version?
Old January 20, 2013, 11:17 AM   #8
PetahW

I've used a LoPro on several rifles, and actually prefer them, since they are a very minimalist sight.

While the LoPro is adjustable for elevation, any windage adjustments must be done via the front sight - which has never been a problem in my case(s), on 7 rifles, so far.

The reason it's NP is that the Lopro sits directly above the bore C/L, and in the instances where I've actually had to make a windage adjustment, the total front sight blade movement to achieve zero was never more than 1/16"-3/32", aka: minimal.

Old January 20, 2013, 12:32 PM   #9
AK103K

Thanks Petah, thats what I was hoping to hear. They look like just what Im looking for. I too like the minimalist idea. Everything else looks a bit over board to me.
Old January 20, 2013, 12:55 PM   #10
B.L.E.

I have a Marble tang sight on my Marlin, and the biggest issue is that the sight is right where my thumb wants to wrap around the stock, otherwise it's a bolt on.

I don't have that problem on my Rolling Block with a Marble tang sight, just on the Marlin lever action.
Old January 20, 2013, 01:58 PM   #11
Dan-O

+1 for Skinners. I have them on two Marlin 1894c's.
Old January 20, 2013, 02:01 PM   #12
C7AR15

Thats it!!!

Thanks PetahW for the Pic.

That skinner two tone metal assembly really looks nice.

Gotta love this website and the info available here, just ask!!

JD
Old January 21, 2013, 11:06 AM   #13
rodfac

Skinner's are very well made and have a wide and loyal following. I've got a Williams WGRS on one of my Marlins which works well if you don't need to change the rifle's zero often. The WGRS is adjustable for both windage and elevation, but, like the Skinner, does not have click adj.'s for either. Once you're sighted in, you pretty much leave it there. Too, the Williams is made of aluminum...while the Skinner is steel and brass. I'd opt for the more expensive Skinner were I to do it over again.

For click adjustable windage and elevation, you have to go to either the Williams Fool Proof or the Lyman equivalent, a Model 66, if memory serves. Both work well, but are more bulky than either the Skinner or Williams WGRS (pic below).

Either the Williams or the Skinner will most likely need a higher front sight...I chose a Fire Sight from Williams...works wonders in the dark cedar thickets here in KY...much better than either a gold bead or plain black post.

HTH's Rod

Cherish our flag, honor it, defend it in word and deed, or get the hell out. Our Bill of Rights has been paid for by heros in uniform and shall not be diluted by misguided governmental social experiments. We owe this to our children, anything less is cowardice. USAF FAC, 5th Spl Forces, Vietnam Vet '69-'73.

Last edited by rodfac; January 21, 2013 at 11:20 AM.
Old January 21, 2013, 03:47 PM   #14
dgludwig

Though I don't have a Marlin Model 1895, I do have two Winchester (an 1886 and a model 94) lever-actions, along with a Remington Model 760 pump and a Marlin Model 39 lever-action, that have Williams "FoolProof" receiver sights mounted on them. I've been using this sight since the early sixties and have nothing but praise for its effectiveness, reliability, durability and workmanship.

Williams makes a stellar product and they have an excellent reputation for good customer service.
Old January 21, 2013, 04:49 PM   #15
mehavey

Can't beat the Williams FP sights
http://www.midwayusa.com/product/968...aluminum-black
which screw right into the two rear scope holes on top of the receiver. I have it on two of my Marlins.

Old January 21, 2013, 05:24 PM   #16
AK103K

I have and have had a number of lever guns over the years that had that type of sight on them, and they do work well. I didnt realize they updated them to work with the scope mount holes on top, which is cool.

My only complaint with them is, crap tends to hang up on them, and the "smaller" XS type peeps are a lot less of a snag issue.
Old January 24, 2013, 07:29 AM   #17
Magnum Wheel Man

mine wears a Williams fiber optic ghost ring, & a fiber optic front site...

this is the style of sight ( I don't have a pic of my guide gun with the fiber optics on it )

Old January 25, 2013, 06:01 PM   #18
The Great Mahoo

My Marlin 1894 sports one of the Williams FP sights linked to by mehavey. I love it.

I've been meaning to change out the sights on my 1985 Guide Gun, and have been eying the Skinners. I worry about having to change out the front sight on it, though, so I haven't gotten around to it.
Old January 25, 2013, 06:29 PM   #19
AK103K

I ordered one of the Skinner LoPro's for my 1895 last week. Ill let you know how it goes when it gets here.
Old February 5, 2013, 10:25 PM   #20
jlbpa

I have williams fp sight on my bought new in the 70's 336. I have taller front sight on it because I needed that with the original rear site.
Old February 5, 2013, 10:35 PM   #21
AK103K

For those who bought the Skinner's, whats their turn around like?

I ordered one back on the 20th and havent heard anything, other than they took my money the same day.