The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old April 25, 2006, 06:36 AM   #1
Tayta_Mayne

870ex mag back to remington

I had a problem with my express mag from the first time I shot it. After about 12 rounds the shells got stuck in the mag tube. Well the first time it happened I was able to fix it. Second time I took it out and it happened again. This time I had to fix it 3 times to keep shooting. At first I thought it was just new and stiff. But after it did the same thing a fair amount of times the action got stuck shut. So I took the gun back to the shop I bought it from and the guy told me it would be back in three weeks. No mention of shipping costs or anything, he said everything is covered under a lifetime warranty. Now hopefully I wont go to pick up my gun and have a huge bill waiting for me. Anyone had any problems with remington before?
Old April 25, 2006, 01:55 PM   #2
Dfariswheel

Of the few problems you hear about Remington shotguns that require a factory fix, all most all concern the Express.

This is understandable, when you consider that the Express is Remington's "budget gun" made to sell at a price at least near the cheaper Mossberg and Winchester guns.

The Mossberg and Winchester use much cheaper to make cast aluminum receivers with stamped internals.
Remington's Express has the same forged and milled steel receiver and heavy-duty fabricated internals as the more expensive Wingmaster and Police guns do.

What Remington had to do was to lower the quality and amount of finish and hand labor to allow lowering the price.

Budget items are usually more prone to problems, and that's the price of buying a discount item, including a gun.

Have no fear, Remington will make it right for no charge to you, and you'll then have a gun that will long outlast you.
Old April 26, 2006, 01:04 AM   #3
Tayta_Mayne

Thanks, even though you called me cheap. Just joshin ya. This was my first shotgun, so I didnt want to spend a whole lot of money on it. It shot great even though it wouldnt load the shells. I hope it comes back as accurate as it was.
Old April 26, 2006, 01:08 AM   #4
Dfariswheel

There's a difference between cheap, and inexpensive.
The Express is inexpensive, but you do sacrifice some finish quality to lower the price.

Other than the finish and some machine marks left in place, like the Wingmaster, the Express has a service life of OVER 250,000 rounds.
That ain't cheap.
Old May 3, 2006, 04:48 AM   #5
Tayta_Mayne

Dfariswheel, no hard feelings I know what you meant. I went and picked it up today. Boy did they fix it. It came with a letter that said they removed burrs. Now all I need is that improved cylinder.
Old May 3, 2006, 02:31 PM   #6
ron73644

I bought a "new, never been fired" Express made in '94, recently. It is finished very nicely, not like the one I bought in 2005. I really lucked out on the first one. Maybe they were doing better work back then.
Old May 3, 2006, 11:05 PM   #7
last man standing

Ron 73644

You bet they were, as was the whole Country.

Its day to day now, get that buck in you hand now and the heck with tomorrow. Consequences be damned....

We all fall into it. It is not only a terminal illness, a disease, it is contagious. May all good men find a way to innoculate themselves against this great peril, to protect there families, their homes, their towns and cities, and hopefully this country. The Enemy is within the perimeter now my friends. Do not be fooled. Sadly he looks a lot like you and me.
Old May 4, 2006, 03:15 AM   #8
Tayta_Mayne

Okay, I actually got to really go over my gun today. It shoots great but they put some dings in my stock. I am going to call Remington later today. It just bothers me that I paid extra cash for the Rem instead of buying a mossberg and now I have paid more money for freight and the gun got dammaged in the process. I really like the gun but if this is how they do business I am done with them. Anyone else had any bad experience with Remington?
Old May 4, 2006, 04:31 AM   #9
270Win

How bad are the dings?
Old May 4, 2006, 05:13 AM   #10
Tayta_Mayne

Not too bad, but its the fact that I bought the gun brand new and I get a used gun back.