The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old October 31, 2008, 07:07 PM   #1
jaymag

#4 buckshot WHITETAIL?

I don't use buckshot for my first few shots,Always slugs I figure he will be down or running after the first shot.At least you have a chance of putting a little somthing more in the deer while he is running.At 80 yrds, the improved cylinder browning a-5 landed about 7-10 pellets,on a 3d target.Not bad at all!Just to add a little more blood, come blood tracking time.Has anyone shot a deer with this stuff?The 12ga. 2 3/4 shells shoots 27 pellets out.Wow! small,but they do land on paper.
Old October 31, 2008, 07:15 PM   #2
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

I would never use #4 on anything beyond 50 FEET or so. The lighter pellets will slow much faster thus dropping energy real fast. I won't even use #3 buck which is the only buck I find locally for my 20 gauge. I keep it in the gun for HD but slugs for deer. I would use the 00buck for short range deer but May as well use the slugs since they have a greater range. In your theory of more blood the slug leaves a larger hole so that is more blood letting than a gob of little holes and far less chance of clotting off the flow thus ending your blood trail. If I loaded both balls and slugs I would do it opposite as you with my first 2-3 00 and if the deer is bounding off I may get a slug in him to drop him or give me a better trail to track. But in my mindset all slugs rules. If the first one don't drop him DRT, it will sho nuff put him off kilter for a spell for a follow up shot.
Just my redneck back woods intention...
If you don't care for my free opinion I will refund your money double
BTW the reason for balls in HD is less energy after a wall penetration than a 1 ounce slug.
Brent
Old October 31, 2008, 08:58 PM   #3
simonkenton

I would never use number 4 buckshot for deer.
Old October 31, 2008, 09:01 PM   #4
jdscholer

I've got no experience with deer and buckshot, but I love #4 buck for called coyotes. We have dumped a bunch of them at 30 to forty yards, and a few out to 60, although that is difinately pushing it. The #4 with it's high pellet count seems to pattern real well and put plenty of pellets on target. Kind of like getting hit with a dozen or so 22's at the same time.
I'm having a hard time finding any at my local stores, and am going to brouse the catalogs tonight. Big coyote trip coming up over Thanksgiving. jd
Old October 31, 2008, 10:12 PM   #5
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

Jd, I find #3 buck 20 gauge at walmart they may have it in 12 too just never look for it as I am always beggin for bigger buck for my 20.
Brent
Old October 31, 2008, 10:56 PM   #6
jdscholer

#3 would do for my use. I use a 12 ga., 3" if I can get them. I haven't tried WallMart yet, they're too big and scary. Guess I'll buck up and go there. thanx Brent. jd
Old November 1, 2008, 04:51 AM   #7
bswiv

I did some PENETRATION testing with #1, 00 & 000 buck last year. Did it because of what I was seeing when cleaning hogs shot with 00 buck.

What I found was that the 000, with it's aproximately 35% greater mass than a 00, would penetrate almost 50% more. Now this was not scientific but it gave some real world idea of what to expect in the field.

From what we learned I would say that the #4 IS NOT what to use. If your idea, and it's not a bad one, is to try and anchor a wounded deer then you need shot big enough to do some damage. And #4 shot will not break bones or penetrate into the vitals at much range.

Go with the bigger shot.........................
Old November 1, 2008, 12:45 PM   #8
jdscholer

I'd have to agree with ya. Where #4, or even BB works for my relatively thin skinned coyotes, it aint up to snuff for punching into deer. I've never shot hogs, but from what I hear, they're tough. Round balls don't exactly have a good ballistic coefficient. jd
Old November 3, 2008, 06:57 PM   #9
Cerick

I would not use #4 or #3 even in 12ga 3#. Even if its not TOO light, I wouldn't want to risk just injuring the deer.