The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old October 20, 2013, 04:48 PM   #26
semi_problomatic

Benelli legacy sport: $1,700 http://www.benelliusa.com/legacy-shotgun

Benelli vinci supersport $1,999 http://m.gandermountain.com/modperl/...cgi?i=GM447606

Benelli cordoba $1,899 to $1,999 http://m.gandermountain.com/modperl/...cgi?i=GM421100

So sorry if I don't know EVERY model of exotic shotguns, or their prices. Still, I doubt the OP is going to go buy a $2,500 shotgun of any style or make. My point was for under $2000 semi's rule. If the OP can afford to drop $3k plus on a shotgun I'm sure he can afford anything he wants.

Speaking of prices, you might want to check yours. A bit off. Custom shop? Sure, you got me there. Custom shotguns are going to be more expensive then their non custom counterparts.
Old October 20, 2013, 07:06 PM   #27
Louca

Quote:
My point was for under $2000 semi's rule.
I am thinking this post has about run its course, and a moderator should probably close it. But I wanted to say if the OP wants to be really cost consious, he might want to consider a pump. They actually work quite well in competitive sports and are nice hunting guns for their price. IMO they are usually less expensive and more reliable than a semi, easier and less expensive to fix in that rare situation, easier to clean (and generally do not need it as much as semis), and have no problems shooting light loads whereas some semis can. I think the OP had only mentioned semis and doubles, but I think pumps should be considered, too.

Lou
Old October 21, 2013, 05:03 AM   #28
iraiam

Since your're looking for an all around shotgun, a semi-auto may be your best bet.

I own both, but to be honest I go out of my way to shoot my O/Us whenever I can. There are a couple of reasons for this, 1) they fit me the best of any shotguns I own, 2) I can hit with them the best of any shotguns I own 3) I usually use a different choke tube in each barrel (always except for skeet). I don't hunt turkey with either, I use a pump.

"I ask, sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people except for a few public officials." George Mason
Old October 21, 2013, 01:31 PM   #29
BigJimP

Budget is one issue....and there are some semi-autos over $2,000 .....like Benelli's primary clay target gun the Super Sport...listing at about $ 2,199..

http://www.benelliusa.com/supersport-shotgun
------------
But that isn't really the issue. All clay target games restrict you to no more than 2 shells..... 3 gun competition is a whole different deal.

Discussion of Point of Impact with a semi-auto vs an O/U....if the barrels on the O/U are made properly and installed properly - its called "regulated" ...then both the top and bottom barrel will have the same Point of Impact. Obviously its simpler with a one barrel gun like a semi-auto...but many O/U's hit the same spot ( not some of the cheaper O/U's made in Turkey, etc necessarily - but certainly most any Beretta or Browing will hit the same point of impact).

Cycling speed...semi-autos take time to cycle / some are quicker than others...but in general, an O/U can fire both barrels quicker than most semi-autos will cycle -- because the recoil on an inertia trigger O/U just resets the trigger and its quick .../ but we're splitting hairs here....they're both pretty fast - at least modern semi-autos are quick ( not so much the old Auto 5 technology )...

reloading speed.....isn't an issue in clay target games / you're restricted to no more than 2 shells max. ( there are a couple of odd 3 shells shoots )...but Trap, Skeet, Sporting Clays and 5 Stand all restrict to no more than 2 shells. 3 gun competition is a different thing...

Can you hunt with an O/U with 2 shells sure...can you eject the 2 spent shells and drop 2 more in, sure....is it practical, probably not. So maybe a semi-auto in terms of hunting has a slight edge / because most hunting laws restrict you to one shell in chamber and no more than 2 in magazine for 3 shells total.
------------
Top end "target grade O/U's" are Kolar, Krieghoff, Perazzi and Blaser...and they all start in the $ 10,000 price range and go way up from there....Beretta / Browning give you a lot of gun for the money in their upper level guns at around $ 3,000 - $4,000....with a lot of features. Brownigs entry level, field grade O/U's ....like the Lightning series...sell new for around $2,000 ....they're solid guns / have the same barrel to receiver connection as the Citori's do at $3,000 ...but not all the same features in terms of adjustability.

Adjustability is a big deal on a Shotgun ...so it hits where you look. If you have an angled comb shotgun ( on an O/U or semi-auto or pump ) ...then as you go from season to season ( shoot in T shirts in summer, heavy coats in winter...then the point your face sits on the comb moves up and back / and that causes your muzzle to move up and down....so your Point of Impact changes .....so many target guns / and hunting guns...shooters want a parallel comb gun ( where comb is parallel to rib )....so point of impact is the same winter - summer - hunting - etc....

I have no issue using the same O/U ...Citori XS Skeet model with 30" barrels in a 12ga at about 8 1/2 lbs....for waterfowl, upland birds and most all the clay target games....one gun, that does a lot of things.

But getting started ....is a Citori Lightning your best choice ( I would say no ) even though it is a gun that you will pass down to your family for 3 or more generations.../its not your best clays gun.

For Trap specifically ....there is less left to right barrel movement than the other clay target games...so most of us that Shoot Trap will have a dedicated Trap gun...that is longer and heavier than our general use guns...for Trap, I go to a Citori XT Trap, 32" barrels, 12ga and around 10lbs...the heavier weight helps with the follow thru.
------------
Shotgunning ....whether its clays or live birds...is a pastime where "follow thru" really counts...pulling the trigger is the start of the shot, not the end of the shot....the end of the shot, is keeping your eye on the target and following thru. The lighter the shotgun - the more "whippy" it feels...but its a personal thing....at 6'5" and 290 lbs what feels "whippy" to me - and what feels "whippy" to my buddy at 5'10" and 165 lbs are 2 very different things...so its personal. But in general, if I go to a light gun ....like the Benelli Super Sport ( 7.2 lbs ) for a general purpose gun, I go with a longer barrel, so in that gun, I go with a 30" barrel on the semi-auto ...so the longer sight plane helps me smooth out the swing....vs "swatting" at a target... 30" barrel in a semi-auto and a 32" barrel on an O/U are about the same "overall length"...
---------
But a good semi-auto or even a pump gun ....with a 28" barrel and changeable screw in chokes...is a good all around gun / good starter gun.

Citori Lightning is a good starter gun...

Many of them have angled comb stocks...so you might have to put a comb pad on them / some of the semi-autos come with shims between stock and the receiver ...so you can change the angle of the comb...many don't .../sometimes, that's part of the cost as well...
---------
O/U's ....where you have 2 barrels.....and you can screw in different chokes in the upper vs the lower barrel....make that gun more versatile. If I shoot a semi-auto ....I have to pick a compromise choke. If the target setter on a sporting course....has a long crosser out to 40 yds ...going fast and dropping downhill ( I may want a Mod or Imp Mod for that target )...and the 2nd target floats in overhead, sliding and falling across my shooting area, I might only need a Skeet choke for that one.../ in an O/U no problem, I set one barrel ImpMod and one Skeet....if I shoot the semi-auto ....I have to go with Imp Mod.../ and might only have an 8" pattern at the close bird ( not my best option, if my score matters in a tournament).....but if I'm just shooting for fun with my buddies, who cares....
Old October 21, 2013, 02:39 PM   #30
Arizona Fusilier

I kind of agree with the sentiment that a good pump-gun is a reasonable compromise between the two concepts.

I am also a big "get one of each" guy; in all seriousness you likely will.....eventually.

But I have a sneaky suspicion that if you spend a lot if time on the skeet range, and keep looking around you, you will wish you had an over/under, that is if you don't already.
Old October 21, 2013, 02:51 PM   #31
RoscoeC

I started shooting sporting clays about 5 years ago. I picked up a used Beretta AL390 ST, for $450.00. I don;t know how many rounds the previous owner had put through it, but clearly it had been shot a lot. I have put probably 10,000 rounds through it and it is still rock solid and I have never experienced a failure of any kind with it. After about a year where I shot sporting clays nearly every weekend with the 390, I decided I wanted to move along. I bought a Beretta 686, but I just couldn't cotton up to it. Nothing wrong with the gun, it just didn't fit me well. I sold the Beretta and bought a Browning Cynergy Classic with 30" barrels and adjustable cheek piece. It is now all I use for clays. Point being, you can buy a solid semi-auto that will fill in for clays and hunting and move over to an O/U at a later time. If you figure up what I spent on ammo and range fees for that year of shooting, the $450.00 390 was really, really cheap. However, it served me very well and I wouldn't part with it even though I don't shoot it a lot anymore.
NRA Life Member
Old October 21, 2013, 04:06 PM   #32
BigJimP

+1 on both comments above....

and it matters whether you're just shooting for fun ...or if you're really serious about shooting in tournaments, etc...../ while I'm an experienced clay target shooter/ I'm not a tournament shooter anymore ......and my buddy and I, tomorrow, are shooting 20ga pump shotguns for Skeet....( just for grins )....not that we expect to shoot poorly, but shooting a BPS 20ga, field comb, that I haven't shot in many years....even with a pad on the comb, to level it out ...so it hits where I look....if I end up with an 88 out of 100 tomorrow ( or a 22 average )...it'll be a good day .....

but if I shot an 88 - with my primary 20ga Citori XS Skeet gun....I'd be less than pleased...( not that it can't happen ) ...but I'd hope to be more up in the mid 90's at least.../ with one or two 25's....if I stay focused and shoot my best....

so the gun swing characteristics - does make some difference / and mental confidence / etc...(none of which I have with the pump gun )....
Old October 21, 2013, 04:15 PM   #33
ForneyRider

My brother just picked up a beautiful used 26in Browning Citori for a great price and he and I went to shotgun range with my SX3. I really like both of these guns. I would not pick one over the other, but 2-3 shotguns is a good idea.

Remington Versa Max, Benelli SBE II, and Browning Maxus are marketed as do it all shotguns, but they will always be a compromise.
Why?
Because having different length barrels is handy depending on details of its use.
The 26in Citori is handy for shooting clays, and skeet, but a longer barrel is usually what trap shooters go for.
My 28in 3in chamber is super fun and has no recoil issues shooting clays all day. But I want a 3.5in for geese and turkey. Do I really need 3.5in? No, but it will increase my chances in each hunt.
The ejectors on the Citori are great for shooting clays. Much better than tossing them on person next to you as with the semi-auto.
Old October 21, 2013, 04:30 PM   #34
tdgator

Wow! Thank you everyone for the insight.
Old October 21, 2013, 09:15 PM   #35
RoscoeC

Quote:
.if I end up with an 88 out of 100 tomorrow ( or a 22 average )...it'll be a good day .....
Damnit, BigJimP, I would kill for that. Around 78 is about as good as I can do so far. I usually shoot around 73-75. But, I'm workin' on it.
NRA Life Member
Old October 22, 2013, 08:04 AM   #36
BigJimP

Just keep at it ..../ one target at a time, as they say !!
Old October 23, 2013, 09:39 AM   #37
myfriendis410

If you like the O/U then by all means that's what you should go with. I'm a Beretta fan but feel the 686 to be a bit low-end for clays. Some of them have a fairly sharp comb that can bite you shooting target loads. The Gold E is a fantastic gun but you are now looking at $3K+ for new. Personally I would look for a good used one. THE best way to find your perfect gun is to go to a high-end shop specializing in shotguns. There are a number of them around the country--Paxton, Pacific Sporting Arms, Southwest Shooters etc. That would allow you to handle everything from a 525 to a K80.

If you choose an auto then what you have listed is a good place to start. I would probably stay away from the Benelli as it is notorious for being a hard-kicking auto. The whole point is to reduce recoil. I have a Beretta 391 and it is simply superb for everything from skeet to duck hunting.

One general observation: 28 inch minimum barrel length for an O/U and 30 inch for an auto. Noise and handling will be better and a lot of competition guys are shooting 32 inch O/U's now.
Old October 23, 2013, 01:32 PM   #38
Whiskeyandbikes

A used semi auto

If you are not in a terrible hury, look for something used. Any of the higher end guns are built to last. You can often fine guns that have only been shoot a few times, and properly cleaned then stored for a few years untouched. Poke your head in at the local shops every so often.
Old October 25, 2013, 09:40 PM   #39
MattShlock

To save the money go semi auto. To have a sweet, classic, and impressive gun go O/U.
Old October 27, 2013, 02:26 PM   #40
BigD_in_FL

The semi wins from the quality standpoint when comparing guns that cost the same (new); however the O/U wins when it comes to longevity, reliability, ability to use ANY target loads, even very light ones, and for games like Sporting Clays, 5-stand, FITASC, Helice, live box pigeons, etc where two shots are the norm, and the ability to have two distinct choke constrictions is a nice advantage. The O/Us from Perazzi dominate the Olympics, and have since 1964 - not cheap but they run forever. On a more modest scale, a Browning 625 or 725, or Beretta 68X series will do a great job in a target version running about $2.5-3K, maybe less if you catch a sale, or about $1500 if used. Field versions can cost less but are typically somewhat lighter (for the carry a lot, shoot a little aspect) and weight is your friend for recoil if shooting a lot - which you do with targets