The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old August 7, 2011, 10:54 PM   #1
hammered54

taking the shine off.

I'd like to remove "glossy finish" from my rifle's metal parts, is there a easy way to do this without completely disassembling it and having it recolored "dull"
it'd be nice if there was a "wipe on wipe off solution".......maybe?

Matt.
Old August 7, 2011, 11:19 PM   #2
Bill DeShivs

Nope.
Old August 8, 2011, 12:33 AM   #3
TXGunNut

I once knew a very serious hunter who simply painted his hunting rifles and scopes (after degreasing) with a flat brown, tan or black (sometimes all 3) paint from Krylon. This was before the more recent camo/tacticool paint jobs. They were premium hunting rifles in walnut or early synthetic stocks topped with great glass and he used them hard on big-ticket hunts all over the world including several African trips. He went on 2-3 rather grueling hunts each year and after a few years his rifles wouldn't have looked like much anyway.
Actually makes sense when you think of it but that would be like me spending $1500-2000 on a rifle & optics, installing the scope with flip-up covers and giving it a $6 Krylon paint job. Ain't happening!
My favorite recipes start out with a handful of used wheelweights.
Old August 8, 2011, 07:05 PM   #4
Dfariswheel

Assuming your rifles are blued, there's no way to dull the bright finish itself that won't strip the bluing off, leaving you with a bare steel surface that will rust FAST.

One option is to thoroughly degrease the metal and spray on a coat of flat lacquer.
This will give a flat, no-shine appearance. The lacquer can be removed with lacquer thinner without harming the bluing.

Keep this off the wood, it can damage the original finish, and removal will almost certainly damage it.
Old August 8, 2011, 07:33 PM   #5
Jim Watson

Yup.
Brownells has a clear matte baking lacquer and a clear matte epoxy coat that might dull the gloss enough. But either will require the gun be disassembled, degreased, and coated.

There is a product used by model makers to kill the gloss of plastic or shiny enamel painted items. You might check a really well stocked model shop.
Old August 8, 2011, 11:25 PM   #6
hammered54

thinking I might just give it a paint job... and not worried about the stock I want that dull also.
thanks for the input.
Matt.