Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old April 5, 2010, 10:07 PM   #1
troy_mclure

Hunters safety course

who has taken a hunters safety course?

what state?

how long was it?

was it a good course?

i took the Ohio course 2x as a kid, it was 2 evening classes, and all day Saturday. i remember it as having pretty good info.

im currently taking the louisiana course.

took the online test for $15 and have to sit thru the "field day" at bass pro shops.

so far the test seems to concentrate on keeping the gun locked up away from the ammo, and muzzle control.
There is only one tactical principle which is not subject to change. It is to use the means at hand to inflict the maximum amount of wound, death, and destruction on the enemy in the minimum amount of time."
Old April 6, 2010, 02:15 AM   #2
Regolith

who has taken a hunters safety course?

I have, back when I was 12.

what state?

Nevada. According to Nevada state law, everyone who was born after (IIRC) 1960 has to take a hunter's safety course to get a hunting license, at least for residents (I don't know how it is for non-residents).

how long was it?

Several weeks of studying, then around 8 hours of classes over the course of a weekend.

was it a good course?

Yes, though it wasn't live fire (which annoys me because I can't use it to satisfy CMP requirements). We used mock rifles (made from wood and PVC) with laser pointers instead, and we went through various shoot/no shoot drills. It was held in the elementary school gym.
Old April 6, 2010, 10:04 AM   #3
Pahoo

Can't say that I have taken the course as I am long in the tooth. However, I have been teaching these courses for the past 20 yrs. I have taught in Wisconsin, Illinoise, Iowa and even assisted in one class, in Missouri. Have also taught in the "Field Days" portion of the newer internet and before that, the "Home Study" classes. Each states has it's own requirements.

Most require a 12hr. participation and know that states may vary. Each state issues it's own Student Manual as well as a follow-up test. Of course I'm going to state that the courses are excellent and might add that in the given time allowed, for the most part, they are very basic. Our primary goal, is safety and we live by the four major safety rules as listed by Cooper. Would also add that the level and experience of instructors is medium to high. Our regular non-internet course is free.

Quote:
took the online test for $15 and have to sit thru the "field day" at bass pro shops.
I could be wrong but I don't think you paid $15.00 for the course but perhaps the "Field Day" Voucher to complete the requirement. Some States charge $25.00 for this voucher. Other than to address your post, I do not know what else you may want to know.

Be Safe !!!
Old April 6, 2010, 10:09 AM   #4
Old Grump
Member in memoriam

Took a 1 day class in New Mexico as a serviceman because it was required to get a hunting license. took a hunting safety class and a turkey seminar in Wisconsin after getting out of the service just to get back up to speed and have assisted teaching class before my back got so bad that standing for 4 hours at a stretch is a no go for me.
Good intentions will always be pleaded for any assumption of power. The Constitution was made to guard the people against the dangers of good intentions. There are men in all ages who mean to govern will, but they mean to govern. They promise to be good masters, but they mean to be masters.
--Daniel Webster--
Old April 6, 2010, 10:41 AM   #5
troy_mclure

Quote:
I could be wrong but I don't think you paid $15.00 for the course but perhaps the "Field Day" Voucher to complete the requirement. Some States charge $25.00 for this voucher. Other than to address your post, I do not know what else you may want to know.
It was $15 to take the online test. i have to take the print out to the field day.

I was just wondering what everybody thought of the courses they took.
There is only one tactical principle which is not subject to change. It is to use the means at hand to inflict the maximum amount of wound, death, and destruction on the enemy in the minimum amount of time."
Old April 6, 2010, 11:05 AM   #6
davlandrum

I finally took Hunter Ed about 5 years ago, as I had to have it to become an instructor in Oregon. I took the Bow Hunter course several years ago in NY.

As an instructor, I hope my students walk away from the course with 4 things:

1) SAFETY - muzzle control, load/unload, know what is beyond your target, zones of fire, cross an obstacle

2) Technical knowledge at a basic level - different actions, what parts are called, etc.

3) Ethics - shoot/no shoot, kill zones, respect for the animals, land and landowners

4) BASIC survival - map/compass, start a fire, things to have with you, etc.

We also do a live fire with .22s

What we do can never replace the role of a parent/grandparent/mentor. There is just not enough time.

I am not a fan of the online option for young people, because I feel there is value in a group setting with live instructors who have real experience. But I also acknowledge that 1) we can not provide enough classes for everyone, and 2) this is 2010, and that is the only way we can reach some.

Ethics is knowing the difference between what you have a right to do and what is right to do. -Potter Stewart
Old April 6, 2010, 11:23 AM   #7
fast-eddie

Hunters safety

I re-took it last summer with my step kids here in Oregon. The instructor was kind of a douche but he did a pretty good job in the end. It was a good chance for me to relearn some things, but we and my step daughter found the ODFW site pertaining to hunter safety and did the free practice test and past it the test without reading the book.
Old April 6, 2010, 12:18 PM   #8
Kreyzhorse

I took Kentucky's Hunter Ed course about 5 years ago. Needed it to be able to hunt in Wyoming.

I've been hunting for years before I took the course and I've got to admit that I rather enjoyed it. Wasn't any information I hadn't heard before, but I don't think anyone is above a refresher in safety and hunting practices.

The course itself was 2 days of class work (maybe a total of 6 to 8 hours) and a day of field testing with firearms, bows and a test.

All and all, I enjoyed my time taking the class and would recommend it to any one.
Old April 6, 2010, 01:00 PM   #9
twinners

I took it in Idaho when I was around 12 so it's been 20 years. We had several evening classes of maybe 2 hours and then a Saturday at the end where we were able to shoot and walked around the instructors property where he had set up different shooting situations and you had to decide if it was safe or not. I remember he spent some time on field dressing an animal which was pretty helpful.