The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old February 18, 2014, 08:53 PM   #1
bartyb

Rem 870 20g pump

Can I shoot 3" shells in an 870 wingmaster pump. It's the older model with the fixed choke barrel. The barrel says 2 3/4" and there is no M in the serial number on the receiver, however it will chamber a 3" shell.
Old February 18, 2014, 09:29 PM   #2
gunhappy

NO. Chambers are measured with the shell opened. You will induce a high pressure event in the chamber shooting 3 inchers. Also be sure not to shoot steel through that fixed choke as it could didn't the barrel.
Old February 18, 2014, 09:40 PM   #3
MoGas1341

I concur with the above... Not to insult your intelligence bartyb, but please put a 2 3/4" shell on the table and measure its overall length and you will see what gunhappy is talking about.
Old February 19, 2014, 03:20 PM   #4
bartyb

Thanks, I understand. I was under the impression that a shotgun barrel was of consistent ID from chamber to choke. Upon further inspection I see the lip where the "chamber" ends and the barrel begins. I just figured it was a cycling issue. I read that you can run 3" shells in a 2 3/4" chamber, but cycling becomes an issue. Obviously that is bad advice.
Old February 19, 2014, 05:31 PM   #5
357 Python

Don't beat yourself up over it too much. I had an 870 Wingmaster in 12 gauge that someone had replaced the barrel before I bought it. The barrel was chambered for 3" shells but the receiver was from 1972 with no M in the serial number. I called Remington to get the date of manufacture and some answers to a few questions. It urned out that I could safely fire the 3" shells but since the receiver was not a magnum receiver it could have trould ejecting them. A few years later I sold it because I have a 1982 model identical to it with the original 2 3/4" barrel.
Old February 21, 2014, 10:36 AM   #6
bartyb

It sucks because I got it for my 12y/o son. He is fine with it but it limits us to 2 3/4" shells and that takes turkey loads out of the question (main reason for getting it) I got a box of Winchester Super Pheasant in 2 3/4" 1oz #6 and a box of Super X 2 3/4" 1oz #4. we'll pattern the two and see which one gives the best results.

The gun is in overall 95-97% Excellent wood and some slight surface rust pitting on the rec. Barrel/bore is beautiful, I cleaned and polished it with 0000 steel wool and buffed the wood to high gloss. I paid 200 for it, did I get a good deal? I cant find one of comp cond. and age on the internet for under 350.
Old February 21, 2014, 01:41 PM   #7
MoGas1341

Sight unseen, you did excellent on that deal! Especially it being a Wingmaster versus a standard grade. Also, should your son lose interest (hopefully not) you aren't out a heap of money and into the gun for too much.

My older brother in Kansas that bought my nephew a Browning Maxus, and it just sits in the safe after having 1 case of shells put through it. I would gladly take it off his hands