The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old January 6, 2014, 01:55 PM   #1
Dc777

What is fair when trading .22 ammo?

I wasn't sure where to post this. My steel rimfire targets state to use soft lead round nose bullets only. I have some lrn bullets but I have a lot more hollow points so I'm going to trade some hollow points for lrn. I found someone that will trade me round for round. He has American eagle lrn, and I have federal, cci, remington, and Winchester. My question is, is it a fair trade round per round, or should the hollow points have a premium over what he has? I don't recall shooting American eagle out if a .22 but I have used them in my old .38, and one of my 9mm's and I recall them being very dirty.

Paintings were made to look at, and guns were made to be shot. If you aren't going to use them as they are intended for, get rid of them and buy a Picasso.
Old January 6, 2014, 02:32 PM   #2
Fishbed77

I would think the HP would have no premium over the LRN bullets, assuming it was all bulk ammo or similar.
Old January 6, 2014, 02:57 PM   #3
Dc777

His is a bulk pack. What I have are 100 round boxes of cci mini mags and stingers, and Winchester super x high velocity

Paintings were made to look at, and guns were made to be shot. If you aren't going to use them as they are intended for, get rid of them and buy a Picasso.
Old January 6, 2014, 03:19 PM   #4
roadrash

Sounds like your ammo is all top shelf stuff,and should definately command a premium over any bulk pack ammo.
Old January 6, 2014, 03:22 PM   #5
el_chupo_

Go back to pricing from before the scare, same store. For Mini Mags, Walmart is $7/box, or 7c per round. Cabelas here is $8/box, 8c round.

Normal price on Fed bulk (Champion)(500rds) is $21/bx at walmart, $23/box (525rds) at Cabelas. I have also seen Fed bulk for $16/375 and 14/325, all around 4.2-4.5c per round.

Stingers are a bit higher than Mini-mags around here, and I hate Win Super X, so I dont know their pricing... But I would expect it to be about the same as Mini-Mags.

I dont know about American Eagle, but it seems it was around $2.49/50 when I last bought any, but I wouldnt swear to it.

In short, I would trade bulk for bulk, but "premium" stuff I would sit on, or ask for some boot. 300 for 500, or 400 for 500 if you are feeling generous.

You may also try to find someone whit Mini-Mags in round nose to trade for the HP's.

Beyond that, I cannot imagine that the target will know the difference in a 40g round nose and a 38gr HP in a mini-mag. Its not like we are talking steel core penetrator ammo... You might check over on Rimfirecentral.com to see if anyone has the same target, and verify if you can use the ammo you already have.

Good luck!
Old January 6, 2014, 03:33 PM   #6
Smoke & Recoil

Most American Eagle are pack 400 to a brick and 40 to a small box.
I wouldn't get hung up on shooting round nose or hollow points at
the target.
Old January 6, 2014, 03:42 PM   #7
chris in va

Wait a second.

22LR is all lead. Nothing is jacketed. Hollow points are exactly the same as LRN, just a different shape. Some are copper washed.

Firing hollow point 22 LR at those targets won't hurt them.
Old January 6, 2014, 04:12 PM   #8
dajowi

Oh my!

If the gun grabbers are watching this exchange they are certainly smiling. Shooters are now quibbling over mere pennies.
Old January 6, 2014, 05:01 PM   #9
Fishbed77

Quote:
If the gun grabbers are watching this exchange they are certainly smiling. Shooters are now quibbling over mere pennies.
Haha!

I agree that shooting your targets with the ammo you have will likely pose no problem whatsoever.
Old January 6, 2014, 05:40 PM   #10
Dc777

I'm new to shooting steel. The directions clearly state round nose only and a couple of people told me that hollow points might ricochet or something. That's the only reason I'm trying to trade some.

Old January 6, 2014, 05:58 PM   #11
Aguila Blanca
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris in va
Wait a second.

22LR is all lead. Nothing is jacketed. Hollow points are exactly the same as LRN, just a different shape. Some are copper washed.

Firing hollow point 22 LR at those targets won't hurt them.
I agree with Chris. In fact, there's a small company that sells a tool specifically for drilling a small hole in .22 LRN bullets to make 'em into hollow-points. Why/how would the bullet be any more prone to ricochet because there's a tiny hole in the tip?

I don't think you're likely to win or even break even on an ammo swap. Keep what you have and shoot it.
Old January 6, 2014, 08:47 PM   #12
AFK

I would just shoot what you have. Targets will be fine. If you don't want to, then just trade round for round. To me, it wouldn't be worth dickering over a few bucks.
Old January 6, 2014, 08:53 PM   #13
Venom1956

That warning doesn't apply to .22s you're worried about nothing. it'll turn to a lead puff on impact. There will always be a little splash when you shoot steel.

Don't bother trading anything.

The warning is concerning actual bonded ammo with copper 'petals' that hold the lead and flower open on impact. those when striking steel have a chance of coming off and the copper keeps the lead intact and could be dangerous.

Like i said you have nothing to worry about. just shoot em.
E-Shock rounds are engineered to expend maximum energy into soft targets, turning the density mass into an expanding rotational cone of NyTrilium matrix particles, causing neurological collapse to the central nervous system.- Yeah I can do that.
I guarantee you will know it if a bicyclist hits your house going 1000 mph. -Smaug
Old January 6, 2014, 09:12 PM   #14
Dc777

I'd like to point out that my targets aren't homemade. They are .22 targets purchased from bass pro and midway. They clearly stare for 22's only. ( one of them even says not to use .17hmr) which sucks because I have one. When it comes to gun related things I usually pay attention to the directions. It also says not to shoot the targets unless you are 30 yards away or more. Any danger being 30 feet away?

Old January 6, 2014, 09:28 PM   #15
Venom1956

There's always risk shooting bullets into something it could ricochet off. A solid pair of eye protection is a good investment. Strange things happen. I've been hit by a rather large piece of bullet that sheered of when i clipped the edge of the steel it hit a rubber tire by the back stop bounced and hit me in the knee. It wasn't going very fast but i noticed it through jeans. Would've been a bad day if that hit my exposed eye or a tooth.

I've shot steel @ 7 yards with 9s and 45s maybe caught a bit of splatter but I survived. I wouldn't recommend doing it if it makes you uncomfortable.
E-Shock rounds are engineered to expend maximum energy into soft targets, turning the density mass into an expanding rotational cone of NyTrilium matrix particles, causing neurological collapse to the central nervous system.- Yeah I can do that.
I guarantee you will know it if a bicyclist hits your house going 1000 mph. -Smaug

Last edited by Venom1956; January 6, 2014 at 09:33 PM.
Old January 6, 2014, 09:33 PM   #16
SansSouci

Ammo manufacturers benefit with hollow point bullets. They use 10% less lead with every bullet. Every tenth round they manufacture is with free lead. That's a substantial addition to their profit margins.

The answer to your question is what you guys decide is a fair trade.
Old January 6, 2014, 09:38 PM   #17
4runnerman

As others have said-Shoot what you have. If the target is a worry- Some how see if you can angle bottom of target back some, This will cause your bullets ( if the ricochet ) to go down toward dirt
Old January 6, 2014, 09:45 PM   #18
Dc777

Will do

Old January 6, 2014, 11:36 PM   #19
oldcabin

http://www.arntzentargets.com/
Hickok 45 uses them. I have several. AR500 steel and great selection. Shoot them, run over them with the car, whatever, they are built for abuse. Rimfire targets are fine, but with these you can shoot almost anything.
Old January 8, 2014, 12:12 AM   #20
railroader

On the stingers I probably would hold off on shooting your targets. They are hyper velocity so they might be a little hot.
Old January 8, 2014, 12:54 AM   #21
Cirdan

What kind of a gun are you running? My Colt/Umarex 22 rail gun will NOT eat American Eagle. It loves CCI of all kinds. On that basis, I'd say that's not a fair trade. CCI's are great. If you have a revolver, or a bolt/lever action rifle, that may be OK.
Old January 8, 2014, 07:27 AM   #22
Hal

Quote:
Ammo manufacturers benefit with hollow point bullets. They use 10% less lead with every bullet. Every tenth round they manufacture is with free lead. That's a substantial addition to their profit margins.
Bullets are speced out by weight, not by volume.
A 40 grain bullet is going to be a 40 grain bullet whether it has a hole in it's nose or not.
Old January 8, 2014, 11:38 AM   #23
Dc777

Cirdan- so far I have shot the targets with an m&p 22 and a high standard sport king, but I do plan on doing some shooting with my remington 597 and my mossberg 715t

Old January 8, 2014, 04:18 PM   #24
dayman

I didn't bother to read the "instructions" for my .22 shooting tree, but it was the least expensive one I could find on Amazon, and I've hit it with a whole lot of HP's - including some minimags - with no ill effects.

And, I shoot from 30'. I wish I was a good enough shot to reliably hit a swinging 2" circle at 30yds, but I'm not. 30' though, and it's a whole ton of fun.
As has been said - just wear eye protection.
I've put many thousands of rounds up against steels at 30' and have only once been hit by anything - and that was off a jacketed 9mm.

I imagine the "only lrn" and "30yds" requirements are there primarily so they can weasel out of their warranty should the thing ever break.
Old January 8, 2014, 05:01 PM   #25
Dc777

Makes sense. I'm not worried about destroying the target as much as I'm worried about a bullet coming back and killing me