The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Bolt, Lever, and Pump Action

Old October 13, 2013, 12:09 PM   #1
inherentlyNOOB

New Weatherby - Feed Issues

So I finally decided to go out and get my self a new hunting rifle this season. I did my research and decided that the Weatherby Vanguard S2 was the best choice for me (within my budget). The local Cabela's even had it in the caliber I wanted: .30-06.

So I take it to the range later that day to get it sighted in and what do I find? About half of the rounds won't feed. At first I thought it was maybe a simple tension problem with the spring but upon further inspection it looks like something more than that. When I load the magazine, the rounds that are stacked towards the left side are the only ones that wont feed. Whenever the round is stacked on the right it feeds like a dream. But i'd say about 75% of the time when the round is on the left it gets jammed. I also noticed that they are getting jammed up on the outside of the chamber and on the right side of it, not the top or the bottom, which is what makes me think it something more than a spring tension issue and maybe has something to do with the feed ramp/chamber not being properly aligned.

Considering how long i've been saving up and how close we are to hunting season this is very VERY frustrating. I havent had any luck with google search and Cabela's basically told me I'm out of luck and to take it to a gunsmith (IE sit around and wait for 2-4 weeks during hunting season). Does anyone have any suggestions? Thoughts? Anything

Thanks ya'll
Old October 13, 2013, 01:15 PM   #2
Sierra280

Have you tried contacting Weatherby directly? This sounds like a manufacturer problem to me.

Also, I used to really like Cabelas but over the years it seems to have become just another poor customer service, made in china, box store.
Old October 13, 2013, 01:30 PM   #3
silvrjeepr

New Weatherby - Feed Issues

The weatherby customer service is second to none. Give them a call and they'll take care of you.
Old October 13, 2013, 01:40 PM   #4
handlerer2

I agree with Sierra on his opinion of Cabela's store. I waited for two years for the Cabelas store in Billings to finally open. Was I disappointed!

All I wanted was some Fed 210's and Fed 215's. None in stock. They were offered in their catelog, for a $20 hazardous shipping fee. All I wanted was 200 primers and a lb of powder, sorry Charlie, available through the online catelog, with two $20 dollar haz mat fees. They didn't have anything in stock that I was shopping for.

I am wondering, if they do this because they are making money on shipping these items?

I also was used to walking up rifle racks in Scheel's and Big Bear and handling any rifle that I wanted too, but had to find a salesman, in Cabelas to allow me to examine a rifle. It goes with out saying that I left w/o making purchase, and have never been back.

I considered myself a good customer, but no more.
Old October 15, 2013, 04:34 PM   #5
tangolima

Quote:
I also noticed that they are getting jammed up on the outside of the chamber and on the right side of it, not the top or the bottom, which is what makes me think it something more than a spring tension issue and maybe has something to do with the feed ramp/chamber not being properly aligned.
Check the lips of the magazine box. Possibly the lip on the left needs to be bent inward a bit. But it is a brand new rifle. The manufacture should take care of it at no cost to you.

-TL