The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Curios and Relics

Old November 3, 2009, 05:28 AM   #26
Tikirocker

Or ... you could have bought your son a real K98 ( not re-birthed ) that shoots just as well - just saying.

Tiki.
Old November 3, 2009, 09:51 AM   #27
dutchy

Interesting reading.
Every time I read a G&A, I am impressed by their ads.
Seeing the content of these posts, I conclude that they are bordering on scamming the customers. In a law suit eager society as the USA, has nobody taken them succesfully to court?
Has anybody talked to Ralph Nader?
Old November 4, 2009, 05:31 PM   #28
44 AMP
Staff

Mitchells Mausers......

Nice looking, historically incorrect, sort of. They are exactly what they say they are, but what they say makes you think they are telling you something they are not. So they are not technically telling lies.

Their prices are way above what decent historically correct (common) Mausers can be had for. But they do look pretty in the ads!

As far as those who think G&A, Shotgun News, and the American Rifleman are scamming us by running Mitchell's ads, grow up. They sell ad space, to survive. Mitchells money is as good as anybody's, and they aren't in the business of verifying advertisers claims. That would be a consumer reports thing. I'm not defending Mitchell, but they aren't doing anything illegal, just unethical. Buyer beware, and all that. The magazines aren't exactly makeing the kind of profit that allows them to be choosy about who they sell ad space to. Heck, even "male enhancement" products have ads in some of the mags, they are that desperate for the cash.
Old November 5, 2009, 05:42 AM   #29
gyvel

As
Quote:
far as those who think G&A, Shotgun News, and the American Rifleman are scamming us by running Mitchell's ads, grow up. They sell ad space, to survive
It's not the advertising that bothers me; It's the articles with glowing reviews they give to those that advertise their products in those publications.

As far as I'm concerned, they can accept all the advertising they want from Enzyte or whomever, but when they start writing articles about what a great product Enzyte is and how well it gives you a really big one, then a line has been crossed. In my mind it is something akin to prostitution.

Last edited by gyvel; November 5, 2009 at 01:42 PM.
Old November 11, 2009, 08:50 PM   #30
heirmossy

There is nothing historically correct about Mitchell's k98's. They're RC pimp shined renumbered messes. The Germans NEVER issued a k98 with a bolt in the white. The stocks are horrendous as they've been sanded down to toothpicks. The accessories in the ad pics are Yugoslavian not German. There is more history in an RC k98 than there ever will be in a Mitchell's. If you only want a good shooter look at a Yugo 24/47, M48, M48A or M48bo.
All are good shooters as they were rearsenaled and have beautiful bores.
Old December 1, 2009, 10:10 PM   #31
Elbalawyer

Mitchell's

I bought at 48 that is a real nice rifle. Very clean. Actually nothing special, though. I also have a 98 that is a Russian capture and refinish that I love. Paid less that the 48 and is a much better rifle. Mitchell is overpriced and just not that great a product. If you don't want to clean up a surplus rifle and have lots of money, go ahead. The Luger's are available much, much cheaper elsewhere.
Old December 1, 2009, 10:11 PM   #32
Elbalawyer

The 98 did not come from Mitchell. Forgot to post that.
Old December 1, 2009, 10:43 PM   #33
campperrykid

Even the Yugo 48's that Mitchell sold were a complete rip-off. Deceptive but carefully lawyer-proofed ads , useless Certificates and a fancy box.
All for 2 or 3 times the price that honest dealers were charging for the same model of rifle in equal or better condition.
Old December 16, 2009, 04:13 AM   #34
gyvel

Quote:
Every time I read a G&A, I am impressed by their ads.
Seeing the content of these posts, I conclude that they are bordering on scamming the customers. In a law suit eager society as the USA, has nobody taken them successfully to court?

The gun industry is the last great frontier of unregulated commerce. There are no watchdogs to protect the consumer from scams, ripoffs, and otherwise crappy products that get hyped to the max but don't work.

And the reason for that is that the consumer product watchdog agencies just don't give a fat rat's butt about whether a gun is fairly and accurately described or if a product performs as advertised or whether new handguards for your Ar 15 are made from pressed cardboard. Most, if not all, would just as soon like to see guns disappear.

I'm just thankful we have these forums to expose some of these frauds and scam artists.
Old December 16, 2009, 07:37 AM   #35
Tamara
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by gyvel
The gun industry is the last great frontier of unregulated commerce. There are no watchdogs to protect the consumer from scams, ripoffs, and otherwise crappy products that get hyped to the max but don't work.
You obviously don't own any hot rods, or computers, or knives, or stereo systems, or...