The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old November 30, 2007, 03:50 AM   #1
bushidomosquito

Silver bullets?

I've always wanted to make some and with my jewellery casting equipment it doesn't seem to hard. .999 silver is softer and heavier than copper and harder than lead so they should bite rifling just fine. Thinking about lathing a slightly oversized brass .40 hollowpoint and casting it in some silicone molding compound and then filling the molds with casting wax. Then casting them a dozen or so at a time in fine silver and I could re-drill the hollow cavity with the same small center drill that I used for the brass model. After the cavity is reamed out a speck of Elmers to hold the center drill in the cavity and it becomes a mandril to chuck in the lathe and finish the final diameter with fine sandpaper to .400" and shape the base. Why you ask? Because I always wanted a nice little display case with real silver bullets. Only downside (aside from silvering my Glock barrel) would be the $12 a round price tag but hey, if ammo prices keep climbing it may not seem so bad.
Old November 30, 2007, 07:40 AM   #2
k Squared

Bullet Mold

Wouldn't it be easier to just use a bullet mold?

http://southernhuntingsupplies.com/l...let_molds.html
Old November 30, 2007, 07:57 AM   #3
Jim Watson

bush, I think you have a workable approach.

k Sq., the Lee aluminum mould would melt before the silver did. An iron mould would be warped and ruined. It's been tried, all the way back to the infamous Gun World Lone Ranger article of the 1960s. Treating it like jewelry and turning to diameter is a better way.
Old November 30, 2007, 08:17 AM   #4
BillCA

I guess it all depends on how many werewolves live near you.
Old November 30, 2007, 11:09 PM   #5
Shoney

BillCA

Don't forget about Vampires in addition to werewolves.

You could alloy the silver with lead and tin for a lower melting point and then be able to cast.
I pledge allegiance to the Flag - - -, and to the Republic for which it stands….Our Forefathers were brilliant for giving us a Republic, not a democracy! Do you know the difference??? and WHY?http://www.wallbuilders.com/LIBissue...les.asp?id=111
Old December 2, 2007, 11:00 AM   #6
JB696

I found out it's just a lot easier to go with the garlic necklace.
Old December 2, 2007, 04:25 PM   #7
bushidomosquito

So how many people do you know that have them? I could only find one reference online to anyone trying to make silver bullets and he only made one and never intended to load it into a live round. Of course I have no plans to go werewolf or vampire hunting but how is it any different from wanting a $4000 custom 1911 or an over under with stock wood that you've never even heard of and so much engraving and gold inlay that it'll never see a day in the woods? It's just about having that thing that no one else has. Seems to me that the perfect accesory for that out of reach several grand firearm would be a few dozen REAL silver bullets loaded into gold plated brass. Now that's classy. I can't make the gun but I can make the bullets.
Old December 2, 2007, 04:52 PM   #8
Rembrandt

The internet always has some interesting reading......regarding silver bullets, (edited).

Silver Bullets - and the Westerns
The Lone Ranger had access to a silver mine (jointly owned by himself, his brother and a retired ranger named Jim Blaine) His brother was killed by Butch Cavendish, so Jim Blaine was given the mine to work. It was Jim who actually made the Ranger's bullets for him. Jim was also the only other person besides Tonto who knew the Ranger's real name.

The Ranger wanted silver bullets to become a symbol of law and justice in the west. The "humane" argument isn't true, simply because the Ranger never shot to kill, only to disarm. These come from the very first Lone Ranger TV episode, "Enter the Lone Ranger" from 1949.

Silver Bullets -Vampires
I always thought that you needed sunlight, wooden stakes or holy water to do in a vampire Movie after movie seems to have silver bullets doing the job. Is this just hollywood? Anyway, to be safe you should order a hollowpoint silver bullet with holy water in it.

Silver Bullets - Werewolves (Lycanthropes)

Originally it wasn't silver that did the werewolves in, but Silver Nitrate, a strong anteseptic. Either that or quicksilver (mercury) also toxic. Might be a good custom bullet, 44mag hollopoint filled with silver nitrate!

Silver and iron are both considered magic metals so before silver it was iron as an iron sword for werewolves and silver bullets also and as well vampires yet you have to shoot the vampire in the heart to kill it and if it's a full moon and the vampire looks at the moon after being shot in the heart with the silver bullet the moon revitalizes the vampire and infuriates it making it harder to kill.
Old December 2, 2007, 05:15 PM   #9
WSM MAGNUM

I thought Blade says UV light is better for killing vampires.

If con is the opposite of pro, is Congress the opposite of progress?
Old December 2, 2007, 05:20 PM   #10
RED DER

Cost notwithstanding if you're really intent on making silver bullets there's a much easier way than the pattern-to-mold-to-rough cast and re-machine, etc. etc, etc. Since you obviously don't mind the cost call a precious metals supplier (forget the jewlery metal supplier) and buy some cast rod, .50 inch or 12mm dia. Since you apparently have access to a lathe just machine the rod to the right dimension (you can finish the entire bullet before parting off).

You're through.

Load 'em, go find a vampire or werewolf and try 'em out. Shoot for the heart. If it's your hated neighbor just tell the cops that you thought he was a vampire.

By the way, send me a half dozen pro gratis for the help.
Old December 2, 2007, 05:49 PM   #11
Andrew93

Why?
Old December 2, 2007, 08:41 PM   #12
bushidomosquito

Thanks to those that are taking me seriously.

As to why Andy, see my post #7.

I've done the machine by hand thing for bullets. Just dummy rounds because I had a bunch of nickled .30-06 brass and some links and thought an ammo belt would look cool in the man cave. Not easy doing it by hand and keeping them uniform in shape. Those ogives are tough to match by hand.

If I cast them with lost wax method, I only have to machine one model, or as many as I need to get it right. All the bullets will have the exact same profile. I can use silver in it's cheapest form which is casting grain. There's also no waste from shavings aside from the little bit of dust from sanding them to diameter.

I guess everyone looks at firearms differently. Some guys who like expensive one of a kind pieces would understand exactly why. Why have a damascus slide on a pistol? Because you can. Others may see guns as tools for hunting or defense and think, "Silver bullets??? What are you going to shoot with those?"
Old December 2, 2007, 10:23 PM   #13
Alleykat

On the other hand, some of us probably view "silver bullets" as a silly topic for a newbie to blather on about.
Old December 2, 2007, 11:32 PM   #14
armoredman

On the other hand, I'd love to have some genuine Silvertips for my 38Spl.
Old December 2, 2007, 11:43 PM   #15
Crosshair

What about "Laser Cast" brand bullets.
Old December 3, 2007, 12:05 AM   #16
bushidomosquito

Forgive me allycat.

From now on, I shall refrain from further posts until my status has reached senior level and even then I will read through your previous posts and stick to topics that interest you.
Old December 3, 2007, 01:02 AM   #17
Silentarmy

Can one get a Damascus slide for a pistol? That would be absolutely Beautiful! I think I Highly polished Silver bullet would look good seated in a Moly coated case for contrast or Gold plated as previously mentioned. It would not be something to shoot but for Display it would be sweet.
"What we learn from History is that we do not learn from History!"
Old December 3, 2007, 08:25 AM   #18
xtargeeter

Frankly, it sounds like a fun project. I do things because I want to and I can and this sounds like that kind of a project. Please post some pictures when you get done.
Old December 3, 2007, 09:23 AM   #19
armoredman

Ditto on pics. Sounds like something just begging for a variety of additional props and backgrounds.
Old December 3, 2007, 07:48 PM   #20
Shoney

Quote:
Alleykat
On the other hand, some of us probably view "silver bullets" as a silly topic for a newbie to blather on about.
Some of us actually think that newbie's, like Alleycat, should not make unprepossessing and fugly ignorant statements.

I think the topic is germane and interesting, Bushidomosquito, please continue to post freely!
I pledge allegiance to the Flag - - -, and to the Republic for which it stands….Our Forefathers were brilliant for giving us a Republic, not a democracy! Do you know the difference??? and WHY?http://www.wallbuilders.com/LIBissue...les.asp?id=111
Old December 3, 2007, 08:47 PM   #21
Unregistered

Quote:
I always thought that you needed sunlight, wooden stakes or holy water to do in a vampire Movie after movie seems to have silver bullets doing the job. Is this just hollywood? Anyway, to be safe you should order a hollowpoint silver bullet with holy water in it.
You need to hone up on vampire killing. Does anyone know how they killed Dracula in the original novel by Bram Stoker?
Old December 3, 2007, 08:51 PM   #22
oldbillthundercheif

I thought you had to decapitate vampires and stuff their mouths with garlic? I think that's the olde eastern-european method, anyway. I don't know when the heart-stake thing came into being but I'm pretty sure it is predated by decapitation.

Silver is only useful against werewolfs.
Old December 3, 2007, 09:08 PM   #23
tplumeri

silver bullet

Would silver bullets work on zombies?
Old December 3, 2007, 09:12 PM   #24
Charles S

Quote:
Well you joined less than 6 months ago. I am not sure you are qualified to call anyone a newbie. LOL

The topic is quite interesting.

Quote:
Does anyone know how they killed Dracula in the original novel by Bram Stoker?
Did they not kill Dracula by shearing through the throat and then stabbing him in the heart with a knife?
Old December 4, 2007, 12:05 AM   #25
Splat!!

I will take 6 of each caliber............

.45 ACP
38 spl.
357 mag
308 win.....