The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old April 19, 2000, 02:17 PM   #1
jones

I don't reload,but I have a question, There is a rifle that I saw some where, that shoots a .50 necked down to a .375. The ad states that it uses bronze bullets to achieve a speed of some 5,000 fps. It's called the Mach 5. Is this for real, or have I been fooled by a hoax?
How hard would it be to reload this round, if it is real? Would it take some kind of special tools?

Thanks,

------------------
jones
"permits, we don't need no stinking permits!"
Old April 19, 2000, 04:02 PM   #2
Bill Hebert

A quick look through my reloading manual found the velocity of a 110 grain jacketed bullet in a 300 Weatherby Magnum to fly at 3829 feet per second using H4895 with a starting load of 67.6 grains of powder. The never exceed load is 76 grains. I can't imagine a jacketed bullet not fragmenting at those speeds...but I don't know. Even the 223 has loads reaching 3600 fps. There's a round called the BOZ that is in development for the military only that may be getting these hyper velocities? Interesting question....
Old April 19, 2000, 05:47 PM   #3
Southla1
Member In Memoriam

I don't know for sure if that is true or not, but i do know this........I for one would not volunteer to pull the trigger on an arm slinging a .375 Caliber projectile at any velocity approaching 5000 FPS. OUCH!!! my poor shoulder!! (unless the firearm weighed 20 pounds and had one heck of a muzzle brake.)
Old April 19, 2000, 11:08 PM   #4
jones

I found the web site, would one of you guys look it over and tell me if it's real or a hoax? Thanks,
http://www.statearms.com/mach5.htm

------------------
jones
Old April 20, 2000, 10:22 AM   #5
Bill Hebert

I checked it out and it looks legit to me. I would not purchase any high-value item without having preferably several independent parties evaluate what I'm buying. I have some questions - like it seems that at that speed the bullet would try push itself through the barrel causing the outside of the bullet to strip away fouling the rifling. After a couple of shots you would essentially be forcing an oversized bullet down an undersized barrel. Kaboom? I'll email the question to the manufacturer. That bullet must really whistle (1 mile/second).
Old April 20, 2000, 03:36 PM   #6
jones

Thanks Bill, send me the reply you get, ok?
I appreciate your taking the trouble. Do you think that it would be quite hard to cast those bronze bullets? And would you need special tools?

------------------
jones
Old April 20, 2000, 07:58 PM   #7
Deathwish

WOW. I wonder what the powder charge is...

Wouldn't the solid bronze wear thw barrel after a few shos though? Maybe it is like remington golden sabres, with the bullet being .353 and having a slightly larger piece at the end which contacts the barrel....
DW
Old April 22, 2000, 05:53 PM   #8
Contender

Can you say, "Overbore Capacity"?

Does it come with a handy mailorder form for replacement barrels?
Old April 22, 2000, 08:45 PM   #9
DaHaMac

Yeah, but what does the deer look like when you hit with a bullet moving over 5,000fps.

------------------
Know Yourself, Know Your Weapon, Know Your Enemy; then Know Victory! ---DaHaMac
Old April 23, 2000, 09:01 AM   #10
Southla1
Member In Memoriam

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by DaHaMac:
Yeah, but what does the deer look like when you hit with a bullet moving over 5,000fps.

[/quote]

The trick of it is to have the hog standing right next to the deer. The way I figure it one shot will get both the deer and the hog, gut both, clean the hog intestines, and stuff them with a good 50-50 mix of ground deer and pork. All you have to do is wrap it and put it in the freezer!

------------------
Carlyle

[This message has been edited by Southla1 (edited April 23, 2000).]
Old April 23, 2000, 10:44 AM   #11
DaHaMac

I love it I love it Southla1; when do we eat
Old April 23, 2000, 11:10 AM   #12
Mike / Tx

From what I gathered from the ad, is that during the development stage they were useing the bronze bullets. Possibly to find out what the top velocity could be without destroying the bullet in flight. With these velocities and normal bullets this would not be possible.

With the lower velocities listed for the different factory bullets listed this would be a really flat shooting varmit rig under 200 or more yds and I would think the varmits could be anything short of Elk.(G)

I personally can't see the need for such a round unless you are shooting further than you need to be in the first place, or had more money than you have places to put it.

As for the barrel wear, I would thing that the throat erosion and fouling would be horrible. But then I don't know all of the info on the barrels and twist. I do know that factory bullets would be softer than the bronze simply due to their construction but this might probably add to the fouling for the same reason.

It was bound to happen sooner or later that someone would be producing necked down versions of the 50 BMG and offering them as hunting rounds. I think that this is way on the extreem side personally and would rather have a short 50 yd shot that was a planned and executed stalk rather than a 500+ yd. pop shot.