The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old March 16, 2014, 01:08 PM   #1
Mike38

Diamondback DB9 2013/2014?

Has anyone here bought a Diamondback DB9 manufactured in late 2013 / early 2014 that has 4-500 rounds shot? Have the “bugs” been worked out of this pistol yet? I’m not liking what I see and hear on the internet, but most of what I am seeing is from 2012 or earlier.

I really like the pistol. It’s everything I was looking for in concealed carry, but I’m hesitant because of the bad reviews.

Also, I didn’t seem to find on their web site what exactly the warranty is like. One year? Lifetime?
Old March 16, 2014, 01:21 PM   #2
SteelChickenShooter

Bugs?

My view is that bugs may never be worked out on such small auto loaders like this. I think there are too many factors regarding moving parts, sizes and weights of those parts. Travel, slide lengths, recoil, spring stiffness, timing, bullet brands, loads, etc, etc. Failure is bound to happen one way or another that could be deadly if you need to defend yourself.
The smallest gun I had without bugs was my Glock 26, but it's been sold. Smaller auto loaders to me just fell out of favor after a number of problems of one kind or another.
Now the smallest handgun I use is a S&W snubbie.
Old March 17, 2014, 10:23 AM   #3
sho'nuff

I don't really see any posts of people buying them. I bought one of the early ones. The firearm never really cycled at all. I cut my losses and sold it at the next gunshow
Old March 17, 2014, 08:35 PM   #4
Mike38

So far it looks like I’d be better off sticking with my S&W J-frame M-60. Even though it feels like a 10 pound brick while carrying it, the darn thing goes bang every time I squeeze the trigger. I’m a fan of semi autos, but I’m more of a fan of reliability.

Anyone else? Please jump in here!
Old March 17, 2014, 09:05 PM   #5
ClydeFrog

DB9 9x19mm ...

I've heard +/- remarks about the DB9 9x19mm pistol in the last 2 years or so.
I have not seen any or fired any DB9 models yet. I was looking into the orange frame DB9 9mm has a lark or maybe a short-term CCW pistol for things like beach days or boat outings. Places where if it got scuffed or banged up it wouldn't be a tragic loss.
As noted nearly any small frame defense pistol can have feeding/cycle problems.
I think the DB platform was engineered for the smaller, less powerful .380acp round but the huge US demand for 9x19mm caliber CCW pistols, led the execs to put out the DB9 9mm.
Crimsontrace, www.Crimsontrace.com offers a red laser aimer for the DB .380acp model but not the DB9 yet.

I would also see the Bersa Compact Carry 9mm. It's very popular & has a more + feedback for the same price range as a DB9 9mm.

The Beretta Nano & SIG P290RS cost more but have better specs/feedback.
The Davidson's lifetime plan is smart too. If the DB9 9mm has serious problems, they can replace it.