The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Bolt, Lever, and Pump Action

Old January 19, 2013, 02:23 AM   #1
BooBoo1000

MANNLICHER

I have been wondering if any of the members have had any experience with a Mannlicher Schoner>??? I have a 6.5X54 that I really enjoy shooting and wonder if anyone else has one>>>???
Old January 19, 2013, 04:26 AM   #2
PetahW

Yep - that 6.5 is a classic cartridge, if not somewhat hard to come by in factory guise/loading.

What I REALLY admire, though, is the precise fit/finish & machining used when those Mannlicher-Schoenauer rifles & carbines were built - the way those rotary magazines slide out/in, as smoothly & solidly as a bank vault's door opening & closing, is amazing.

It's worth owning one, just to play with the dang thing.

Old January 19, 2013, 07:56 AM   #3
stubbicatt

Love mine. It is a 243. MCA made in 1966. The machining and fit and finish are remarkable, and all this before CNC was even a glimmer in someone's eye.

A 6.5 is on my wish list. It would have to be a super rifle, but it is what I would choose.
Old January 19, 2013, 03:41 PM   #4
BooBoo1000

What a beautiful photo, that old " Butter Knife" handle is very distinct.My rifle came as answering an ad for shot gun for sale.
went to look at the shotgun,bought it, then the man said I have this old rifle also. It was a mess, but I bought it also.Took it home, sawed the barrel off and sent the rest to P.O.Akley in Salt Lake City.They called me,and said it would be quite a while before they could work on it, as they were not scheduled to work of 6.5 for a year.Anyhow it finally came home, and it is beautiful. The best part is when you go to a hunting camp, and pull that rifle out of the case. All of the old timers set up and start wanting to look at that thing.I tell you that thing is just like a bolt of lightning hit a deer. I found a set of dies, and brass so I'm reloading for mine.This if the caliber Ernest Hemingway bought for his wife to take to Africa. Smooth as butter.
Old January 19, 2013, 08:23 PM   #5
bamaranger

stocked

You either like the Mannlicher stock style or you don't. I'm in, but I don't own a genuine Schonaur (?).
Old January 20, 2013, 02:00 AM   #6
BooBoo1000

The Stock is classic German with the long splinter, width the Schnobel.
Old January 22, 2013, 09:10 AM   #7
stubbicatt

It's funny to me how younger guys will get all excited for some AR15 with a bunch of plastic and aluminum hanging off it. I like rifles and can be impressed by how someone assembled a bunch of prefab plastic parts on an aluminum chassis, but to me, speaking only for myself, only wood stocked rifles generate that sort of admiration the younger guys lavish on poodle shooters.

The warm feel of walnut against my cheek cannot be duplicated by a plastic stock. The intricacies of full grain walnut, hand rubbed and finished, makes my old heart warm and happy. The precision of the machining and the perfect fit of parts on this old rifle made before any sort of CNC processes just screams out quality. The cold hammer forged barrel, the excellent balance, double set triggers, light weight, deep rich bluing. Can't get that in an AR15.

Granted this old bolt actioned rifle probably wouldn't be my first choice were I to be a soldier in Afghanistan, but near as I can tell, neither are those kids soldiers who buy all that "tactical" stuff down at the gun store, other than on their Xbox.
Old January 24, 2013, 07:54 PM   #8
Molasses

Mannlicher Schoenauer
Otto Schoenauer was responsible for that nifty rotary magazine.

A couple of .30-06s, one:

...and both sides of t'other:

I've put a receiver sight on that latter one since those two pics were taken:

It's got a spring-loaded hinge so the bolt handle can get past it
Old January 24, 2013, 10:38 PM   #9
Savage99

I have a couple of the old Mannlichers. I got them for the same reason many do. They are such fine machinery.

Here is one in .358.
Old January 24, 2013, 11:01 PM   #10
stubbicatt

Super slick rifles. I like the side mount scope bases. Mine I used the receiver ring and bridge rather than a side mount to avoid having to cut the wood of the stock to make room for the mount.

I think that spring loaded aperture is really slick.
Old January 25, 2013, 10:20 AM   #11
johnwilliamson062

Quote:
It's funny to me how younger guys will get all excited for some AR15 with a bunch of plastic and aluminum hanging off it.
What a bunch of crap. I was selling a gun a few weeks back and the buyer tried to tell me I should come down in price b/c young guys don't like C&R guns.

I really like the Mannlicher stock, but I sort of wish the style was otherwise named. Have faced raised eye brows more than once when professing my love for the "man licker" stock style.

I don't like most of the old guns with mannlicher style stocks though. With the long barrels it isn't too handy and the bulk outweighs the fine lines. On a newer short gun, even one like my `0/22, I like it.
Old January 26, 2013, 09:39 PM   #12
375NE

Mines a 1910 375Nitro Express... which is a 9.5x57mm.... and the wood and metal fit is unbelievably good...this is the same as George Eastman (Eastman Kodak Co) used in Africa... Loads a 225gn out at 2200fps.... and the rifle is the same size as a 10/22..

Also a 30-06 1952...wood fit not as good but still well above modern rifles...

Only issue I've found is modern scopes are shorter in the tube than older 4x ones....makes using the old swing away ring mounts difficult to use if higher power required. (anyone gotta Lyman permacentre in 8x?)
Old January 28, 2013, 09:22 AM   #13
stubbicatt

Quote:
I really like the Mannlicher stock, but I sort of wish the style was otherwise named. Have faced raised eye brows more than once when professing my love for the "man licker" stock style.
LOL! Yes I too regret the name. So I attempt a "European" pronunciation, like "man lee cher" to which I get a confused look and a "bless you!"

Nonetheless I really like this old rifle, even if I have to work around the name.
Old January 31, 2013, 04:31 PM   #14
BoogieMan

I am waiting for my first purchased c&r. A Steyr/Mannlicher M85 made in Budapest. I inhereted a FN Mauser and a Enfield along with a old Marlin lever and Remy 7600. I am probably on the younger side at 37. As you say I am not impressed with the "black guns". I only own one synthetic stock (BPS) and thats because I bought it for a duck gun to run through the mud. I have never heard of the Schoner so I clicked on the thread. Im glad I did because that is one beautiful rifle. Something about the combo of fine wood and blued steel just looks like a rifle should. IMHO
Thanks for posting
Your tactics suck"
- Unknown
Old January 31, 2013, 06:43 PM   #15
PetahW

FWIW, the commercial M-S rifles & carbines don't need any wood removed for the side scope mount base because the factory made them with a removeable filler plate attached to the LH side of the action, that's to meant to be removed & replaced by the proper base.

Old February 1, 2013, 08:17 AM   #16
stubbicatt

Quote:
FWIW, the commercial M-S rifles & carbines don't need any wood removed for the side scope mount base because the factory made them with a removeable filler plate attached to the LH side of the action, that's to meant to be removed & replaced by the proper base.
D'oh! (a homeresque cry of despair)!

You mean, I could have picked up one of the side mount bases for a fraction of the cost of the EGW setup? And still have been able to use the iron sights?

I think I shall attempt to locate one of those mounts on Ebay, and try to sell the others now!

Grumble grumble.